0 comments

General

Mum I think you are too old to go back to school! Exclaimed my mother

No! I answered, Grandma can still go to school and learn the English language she always loved.

I will go to school, starting this coming Monday, said my granny. In fact today we have news reporters from the city coming to interview me because am the talk of the whole village, she added with a proud smile.

My granny has always wanted to go back to school to learn English language, her reason being that English language was the language of the Queen, who she adored so much, her role model that she forced my mother to name me at birth, Elizabeth' after the queen of England because her love for the Queen.

Grandma`s parents were of the colonial era, in my country Kenya that was the time it was colonized by the British empire way back in 1920s. My Grandma`s parent used to work for the British who settled in Kenya, therefore they could speak English language very well. Schools at that time were only for the British with only a few rare schools that were established by missionaries to help the local community to learn Christianity.

By the way, I was lucky enough to see my Grandma`s parents, that is my great grandparents, then I was even luckier enough to see my great great grandmother, yes! that is the fifth generation down the lane. I come from a tribe where most people adore us because we don’t age quickly, but am not bragging. Most people when they see me, think am in my early twenties but when they learn of my really age, they get shocked in fact most people don’t believe me, they go like! Liz! Stop kidding us! I remember last year I went for my high school reunion after so many years apart from my high school friends, they were all amazed! Shocked! How come you look so young Liz? Most of them asked me in awe!. When they saw me, wow! I felt good... by the way most of my high school colleagues now look like my elders! Most of them have aged very fast! The secret of the youthful look lies in the genes of my indigenous tribe, though some people tease my tribe saying we use black magic to stay young and live long! That is a mystery for another day..

Grandma! The news reporters are here! Shouted my smaller brother who was very excited about the interview because he said that it was going to be the first time for him to appear in the news. He vowed that he would stand by Grandma`s side all through the interview.

By now the whole village had gathered in our home, there was also the village choir singing traditional African folk songs which they had made in praise of my grandma. Small kids were running up and down with the excitement of the fact that by chance they might be caught by the news reporter's camera and appear in the news. Wow! The area chief was also in attendance to hear of this world record news of a grandma going back to school.

Everyone was ordered to seat down on the grass as chairs were very few, enough only for the reporters and few village elders. It was a big occasion in the history of the village especially to see news reporters.

The news reporters set out their equipment ready for the interview. Everyone now was seated watching the village choir perform.

My grandma appeared from the house in a full school uniform, complete with a school bag. First she stood as though she was waiting for the red carpet to be rolled out for her. For an eighty year old she looked elegant if not amazing! She smiled showing off her beautiful nicotine stained teeth not to mention her stunning gap between her two front teeth. She walked slowly but confidently to the set dais with my younger brother holding her hand tightly as he had promised! Everyone present gave her a standing ovation while cheering her.

The interview started well.

Why have you decided to go back to school at your age? Asked the news reporter!

I want to be able to read the newspaper! And know what these crazy politicians are upto! She answered backed

Everyone applauded to her answer!

I also want to be able to answer my mobile phone with ease, she flashed out her mobile from her school bag, this phone, she added, my grandchild who I call my queen, bought for me and I have no idea on how to use it, she smiled shyly.

Please tell us how old are you? Asked the news reporter

Am old enough to be accepted in school! She said laughing

Now everyone basted into laughter on her answer!

Ok seriously speaking, am not sure of my age but during the season and occurrence during my birth, I can estimate am roughly eighty years old. She said, during our time of birth, one can only relate with the happenings at that particular time to know your age, she added softly.

What? Asked the news reporter! You don't eighty! Not at all! He answered in amusement!

My son, you can only be as old as you want to be. For me I choose to be young forever, she answered back!

Are you not going to feel ashamed of going to school with small kids? Asked the news reporter

No way! If they pick on me or try to make fun of me, I will hit them with my stick! She answered back, in fact, am looking forward to Monday to go back to school, she added

So, do you want to tell us that you have been to school before? Asked the news reporter amazingly

Practically I have never gone to school, but I used to go to a missionary school of which I used to listen the teacher teaching from the window! She said laughing...

Everyone laughed!

The reporter was in tears! Laughing! Why did you do that? He asked her?

I was scared of going in the class because of my funny accent, and the teachers looked different and spoke a foreign language which I didn't understand, she answered back.

Now that you are going to school on Monday, what can you tell everyone watching and listening to you? Asked the reporter

It is never too late to do anything that you want to do in life, always follow your dreams and be confident and never ever allow anyone or anything to put you down! she said

Everyone stood up and applauded!

August 13, 2020 16:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.