2 comments

Drama


Winter came and the snow capped mountains shined so brilliantly that I closed my blinds and began to grieve. I perked my favorite cup of coffee in the microwave and turned on my electric heater. Now that my room was toasty, and the coffee was supreme, tears flowed down my face as I fought the memories of my "Snow Puppy".


Last night a storm blew through the entire town. Lightning flashed and the sky ignited, I knew to turn off the lights. I stood their observing what was happening as I tried to fight the memories of my "Snow Puppy”.


My memories about that old snow dog with spots is very opaque. Every time, I think of that very funny thinking snow puppy, I always ask the question “Why Me”? But, I knew why me, because I always wanted to play with mans best friend the dog.


Reminiscing about those painful years, I remember being the marble player of the year. I had won some of my siblings favorite marbles. The marble game would become so intense, that my younger sibling would only barter his cat-eye marbles. I would take a pop-sickle stick and draw a big circle in the dirt. We stood near the fence about 15 feet away from the circle to knock our favorite marbles out of the circle. The opponent that knocked all the marbles out of the circle was the winner. I had no idea that we were on our knees playing in the dirt and that we had an onlooker. Just maybe that funny thinking snow puppy was observing all the time.

By now, I had collected so many marbles that my younger sibling decided to play with the boy next door.

One day while standing by the fence with my bag of marbles waiting for my younger sibling to come play with me, I saw from a distance a snow bunny rabbit with spots, no, as it got closer it was a snow- white sparkling puppy with spots. The snow puppy raced toward me with lightning speed. My eyes became large and larger as the snow puppy got closer. I swiped it off the ground, and it began to lick my face.


The high- spirited snow puppy would be my best friend. I introduced the snow puppy to my mother. She disbelieved the fact that someone may have lost their snow puppy. She asked me does the puppy have tags. Tears filled my eyes as I answered no. My mother agreed to check the light post and buildings for "a lost puppy sign" and for anyone that had lost their snow puppy. 

The snow puppy would sleep next to me in the bed. I had no idea why the snow puppy would bark every time someone would try and enter the room. Probably because she was use to me cuffing her in my arms.

Finally, I decided to name my snow puppy with spots “Storm”, because she ran as fast as the greyhound. 

After a few days, my mother said she could not afford the snow puppy. I had never experienced that much heartache in my life. I cried so loud and long that my sister joined in crying, we reached a crescendo. We were both asked to come inside the house as she made her final decision. We were told that we could keep “Storm” the snow puppy. 

I can not remember how much time passed by and the time I spent with “Storm”. Only twinkles of a memory occur every winter that comes by.

Time passed by, school started and I tried to forget the memories of how I cuddled storm my snow puppy as we slept together.

To this day, I cannot remember caring for my snow puppy with spots. I try not to remember because of the heartache that is involved.

The year was ending, and graduation time was close. We had moved across town and in the backyard was my snow puppy that had matured into a runt. I called her name and she responded to “Storm”.

I always wondered why my snow puppy did not reach Dalmatian height and stature. I remember how happy my snow puppy was to play with me again.

My sister that loved the name Storm, would bring the animals to me to name them. I named the Doberman “Thunder”, the terrier “Fire” and the snow- white cat “Rain”. The wolf dog I did not name, as of yet. I never let my siblings know that my favorite one to play with was Storm who had underwent major changes.

Talented as “Storm” use to be I tried to get her to jump through the hula hoop. She would race around the front yard at lightning speed with the terrier right behind her. I could have trained her to jump through the hula hoop, but as usual another problem happened that year.

That year my mother was keenly aware of our surroundings. She decided to send us to live with our grandparents. Very resentful, we fought moving to another city. Once we arrived, it dawned on me that the snow puppy was missing.

Not only did I miss my parent, but I missed my pet the snow puppy. I would walk by my grand mother's snow white poodle and the talented dog would stand on her hind legs and twist around in a circle. Finally, still grieving over my snow puppy and the fact that I would never see her again, I pet Suzie Q the poodle.

I would remind my grandmother to get flea repellant for Suzie Q the poodle so I could play with her. My grand mother had the poodle groomed and her nails cut. I recall feeling so sorry for Suzie Q the white poodle that would always beckon for me to come play with her, by twisting in circles and walking on her hind legs. I would say Hi Suzie Q everyday and sometimes pet the snow- white poodle. One day Suzie Q got off her chain and was devoured by another dog. What a tragedy.

Every winter the memory of Storm my favorite friend that played with me, comes and goes. I still remember snuggling up with this favorite pet. More than likely because I would prefer to forget than grieve about my favorite snow puppy during the winter months.









January 03, 2021 19:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

19:57 Jan 15, 2021

Quite a sad story...I was hoping for some happiness for the main character by the end, but I suppose not all stories have a happy ending

Reply

Show 0 replies
Frances Reine
14:44 Jan 05, 2021

Aw, this was so sweet. I loved it

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.