6 comments

Mystery Drama

This story contains sensitive content

 Content Warning: Topics of drug and alcohol use, as well as profanity.                    


Woah, I am so buzzed right now… actually, she stumbled, feeling the room spin, and realized she had too much to drink. The next thing she knew, she was running for the bathroom, and then she was vomiting into the toilet. 

Yea, I am definitely wasted.

Someone bursts in the door, “Vega-Lynn, Vega-Lynn, were doing shots!!! Come on!”

She sits up from the toilet, “Woooo okay! I'm coming!”

They give a nod and close the door. The drunken holler was so loud it was audible even through the thick door.

Yea I’m just gonna sit here a while

After puking for 10 minutes, Vega-Lynn manages to get up from her drunken stance and head to the living room. 

Oh God everything is spinning

She slouches on the couch with a dizzy expression on her face. As she tries to focus, she begins scanning the room.

Wow there's Ryan passed out on the floor…There's Mya making out with Edgar…David talking to some girls…

She starts to close her eyes and a loud yawn escapes from her mouth.

Aaaahhh man I’m so sleepy..I’m just gonna rest my eyes for just ….

As she drifts off into a peaceful slumber, a guy plops down next to her, she awakes.

“Vegaaaaaaaa” the guy screams. She looks at him and a slow smile comes across her face. 

“Yalliiiiiiii” Vega-Lynn screams back, “Hey buddy, what's going on??” 

He puts his arm around her, “Its going goooood, I’m so fuckin drunk though.”

They both laugh hysterically and Yalli pulls out his weed vape, “Wanna hit?”

Vega nods and snatches the vape from Yalli. They talk and smoke vape as they point out their surroundings. 

“Look at David! Ayo David!” Yalli screams from across the room. David doesnt turn to Yalli.

“Whatever, he knows he can hear me,” Yalli takes another hit of the vape and passes it to Vega.

“Let him be, he’s talking to people!” Vega says.

“Yea he keeps looking over here, he's probably ready to leave haha” replied Yalli. 

He looks at Vega, “Wow you're so pretty”

She blushes, “Omg stop Yalli, you're cute too”

They both look into each other's eyes and lean in for a kiss. Just as their lips are about to meet, David comes rushing over yelling that they need to leave, “Bro lets go, I got class in the morning” David shakes Yalli’s shoulders. 

“Alright alright relax, we're leaving” Yalli fusses. Vega and David quickly glance at each other and Vega cracks an awkward smile, “Sorry didn't mean to interrupt…” David says.

Vega shook her head quickly indicating that there was ‘no worries’ about the situation.

Yalli struggles to get up from the couch, stumbling and almost falling. David helps him up and they start walking to the door, “Vega-Lynn, do you need a ride?” Yalli drunkenly shouts. 

She nods and rushes up to follow them out of the door. 

They arrive at Vega’s dorm and she waves goodbye to them, “Thanks you guys, get home safe!” David smiles and waves while Yalli is passed out in the back seat. 


The next morning is mostly a blur as Vega gets up to get ready for class. 

Wow…I’m never drinking that much again

She goes into the bathroom and brushes her teeth while looking in the mirror.

I hope this isn't how you looked at the party last night…

Standing in front of the mirror, she inspects her reflection, pointing out pimples and blemishes on her face.

God…I can't believe Yalli was about to kiss this face…

She smiles.

Uh he is so cute..I think he really likes me

She strikes a pose and starts to admire herself in the mirror.

Hey I’m actually kinda cute though

She sticks out her tongue and does a duck face pose. As she plays around, she reaches for her necklace but realizes it isn't there.

Aw crap! Don't tell me I lost my necklace…come on Vega. 

She takes a look at her phone and freaks out.

WOW I'M SO LATE!


Running to her first class, she feels so much panic as she dodges past people to get to the elevator. Once she hits her floor she sprints down the hall and into the classroom. Everyone stops and stares at her, including the professor.

Crap maybe I should have entered a little more subtly

“Hello, please take your seat Miss” The professor says.

He should really know my name by now…

“You don’t know my name by now??” Vega shouts at the professor.

People gasp, and the silence in the classroom was palpable. Vega quickly covers her mouth with her hand.

Crap, why did I just say that?!

The professor nods his head in disappointment but continues lecturing.

Vega rushes to her seat while people stare at her in disbelief. 

Ok I'm still hungover I think… I gotta just take it easy


After class, Vega is the first one to leave. She walks into the bustling school cafe and looks around trying to figure out what to get for breakfast.

Hmm I'll just grab some coffee… I need to wake up

She walks up to the front and places her order.

I'm thinking a hot matcha latte with oat milk…yum

“Hi, I can help who’s next”

“Hey, I'd like an iced matcha latte with 2 percent milk please”

Vega covers her mouth.

Oh God why did I just say that?

The worker looks confused but puts the order in the system, then repeats it to her.

“Ok so I got an iced matcha latte with 2 percent milk?”

Vega nods her head from side to side, clearly disagreeing with what the barista was saying.

No no no I'm lactose intolerant, I'm gonna be in so much pain later

“Uh ma’am?” the barista said.

“Yes that's right!” Vega confidently replies.

The barista nods and finishes putting it in the system.

NOOOOOOOOO uh I gotta get out of here

She runs away from the coffee shop and the barista calls out for her but Vega doesnt turn around and keeps running. 

Wow wow wow I don't know what's wrong with me today…it's like I can't control what I say and I'm saying everything the opposite…I’m just gonna go home and get some more rest…maybe if I just sleep it off… I'll be better


But Vega doesn't get better, as a week goes by and she is still out of sorts and tries to avoid Yalli, her crush, at all costs. One day though, she ends up running into him.

“Hey Vega!” Yalli’s voice echoes across the hall.

Don't turn around don't turn around, Vega says to herself as she tries to ignore Yalli.

But he runs up to her and hugs her from behind, David follows.

“Vega you didn't hear me? Where have you been? I’ve been texting you!” Yalli says with a smile.

I miss you so much Yalli…but I'm afraid of what I’ll say

“Vega??” Yalli says, “Do you hear me?”

Yes I hear you Yalli 

Vega turns to Yalli, “No I don't hear you”

Yalli looks confused, “Ok…have you been getting my texts?”

Yes Yalli! I have 

“No I haven't” she responds back.

“Hmm that's weird..” Yalli says.

God I'm so sorry yalli

“I’m not sorry Yalli” she says back.

Yalli and David look at each other, “Wow…someones in a bad mood” David says.

“Vega, are you alright? Did I do something to upset you?” Yalli asks.

No Yalli….you didn't do anything wrong…please stay.. don't leave

“Yes Yalli, you did do something wrong, just go, just leave!” Vega says as she runs away.

David turns to Yalli…”Wow wonder what that was all about”

Yalli just looks down, feeling a bit sad. 


A few days later, Vega is texting the group chat and saying that she is still saying things the opposite of what she means. Her friends are unsure why it's happening and tell her that she may be cursed. 

[Vega] Cursed? Where did you even get that?

[Friend] Because it still hasn't gone away and you can't control it girl..

[Vega] But how would I be cursed? And when did this all happen? 

[Friend] Well…obviously someone has done this to you..and idk didn't you say you felt like this after that party last weekend?

[Vega] Yea…it was literally the day after the party…and no way…I don't have any enemies, so who would want to put a curse on me?

[Friend] Girl I don't know but it's best you try to find out so they can break it

[Vega] But like…how do you know about all this stuff in the first place?

[friend] My grandma is into stuff like this, she used to always take us to psychics and tell us stories about the good and evil…she was obsessed with that sort of stuff. 

[Vega] Oh okay…got it…thanks

[Friend]Yes girl anytime, are we still down for drinks tonight?

[Vega] yea but I may have to come later on…I got some digging around to do


Vega puts on her shoes and heads out the door. 

Alright, I guess the first place I need to go is back to that frat house where the party was.

She arrives at the frat house, but doesnt find anything. She heads to a nearby park to sit down and think about who would want to harm her, or better yet put a curse on her. 

What about that girl Shannon? Yea I totally would ask her for gum like every class maybe she got tired of me asking?

She shakes her head no.

No she was actually a sweetheart…it couldn't have been her…oh oh what about that guy Josh? Yea I remember I accidentally cut him in line for those concert tickets …

She shakes her head no again.

Actually he transferred to another school last semester so it couldn't have been him

 As she keeps wondering about who could've put a curse on her, she notices someone walking towards her.

“Oh hey David!” 

David waves, “hey Vega-Lynn, what's up?”

“Nothing much, how is Yalli doing? I know I hurt his feelings the other day, I really didn't mean to” 

David smirks, “Well, he was pretty upset about the whole thing..he said he may even transfer out of that one class you guys have together”

What?? Oh my God I feel terrible

“Wow I feel terrible David”

He needs to know that I'm sorry

“I don't know what’s been going on with me…can you please tell him that I'm so sorry?”

David puts his hand on her shoulder, “Of course Vega-lynn.. of course”

She stands up and they hug, David pulls away to look her in her eyes, Vega looks away. 

“Well I better get going,” she says.

David leans in and tries to kiss her.

“Woah woah, what are you doing?” Vega says shocked.

David stays quiet and looks around like he is lost.

“I-I gotta go” David runs away fast and doesn't look back.

Vega sits back down and shakes her head in disbelief.

What the heck just happened


Back home Vega decides to text Yalli

Well lets give this a try, maybe through text I won't say anything stupid

[vega] Hey yalli…this is vega…if you still have my number

Yalli responds minutes later.

[Yalli] Vega..I’m so happy to hear from you finally

[Vega]Really you are? I've been kinda a meanie lately though

[Yalli] Yea I wasn't too sure what happened the other day, but I just figured maybe you were having a bad day.. I tried not to take it too hard lol

[Vega] So you aren't dropping Mrs.Shepard's class then?

[Yalli] Uh no…why would I do that? Lol

[Vega] Because you were so mad at me for what I said that day..

[Yalli] Oh no! I'd never do that, even if I was super mad at what you said. Do you know how hard it is to get into that class? Lol I wouldn't drop that class for NO ONE hehe

Vega laughs a bit. 

So why would David tell me that today? Why would he lie??

Vega sits back in her chair and thinks.

Now that I think about it, whenever I talk to David I never slip up with my words or say the opposite of what I mean…why is that?

All of a sudden, a letter slipped under Vega’s door. She runs to pick it up and opens the door but no one is there. 

Okay so i'm definitely creeped out now

She rips open the letter and it's from David.

David???

The letter states that David was indeed the one who put a curse on her. He says he got the idea from the two girls he’d been talking to at the party all night, as they were all pretty drunk and David was spilling his feelings to them about how he had a crush on Vega-Lynn for a couple years now but knew he wouldn't have a chance because of Yalli. So the girls said “Put a curse on that bitch” 

David did not think too much of it but once he saw Vega run to the bathroom he thought to take something of hers to seal the deal with the curse just in case he were to do it. So he stole her necklace. He stated that when Yalli and her were about to kiss, he interrupted because he couldn't bear to watch that. From that point on he decided to go through with the curse, he could tell he was running out of time because Yalli and Vega were bound to become a thing…an official thing. The curse was set to be one that would make her say the opposite of what she meant to everyone except David. As she continues to read the letter, she starts to remember little things that didn't seem like much in the past but have importance now. 

I remember that time David bought me coffee and knew exactly what I wanted.. I just thought that was a lucky guess

She ponders about more situations.

Oh yea and I remember when he told me how much he liked my hair when I got bangs.. He literally wouldn't stop staring at me…I thought it was odd but I really didn't register it …until now.

Vega realizes that David has had a crush on her since she started going to university and that he was the very first guy she met on campus. He showed her around and even took her to lunch..he was always so sweet to her. Almost at the end of the letter, Vega reads that David will be moving back home because once this gets out people won't look at him the same, and Yalli probably would hate him. He says that Yalli is his best friend and he hates that he would do this to him.

 He also tells her the only way to break the curse is to put her necklace on and repeat this phrase in the mirror, “Reversed fate isn't my fate, may this curse be reversed and my words align with truth once more!"

She immediately drops the letter and runs to the bathroom mirror. She begins to say the phrase but then notices she doesn't have the necklace.

Crap how am I supposed to do this without the necklace DAVID??

She finds the envelope and sees the necklace is in there.

Oh…

She hurries to the bathroom, puts on her necklace and says the phrase in the bathroom. Once she is done she tries to test it out. 

Ok…I’m gonna pretend I'm talking to Yalli….Yalli you are so handsome and gorgeous…and sweet and cute



“Yalli you are so handsome, and gorgeous and sweet and cute” Vega says as she kisses Yalli on the cheek.

“Thanks babe, I love you so much. You're everything I've ever wanted and more, do you know that?” Yalli says as he kisses her on the forehead.

They walk together holding hands and Vega asks, “So..have you spoken to David lately?”

“Nah, he left abruptly last semester..said it was a family emergency…he's coming to visit me soon, though” Yalli responds.

Vega looks up at Yalli, “Oh really?”

“Yup..he says we have to catch up and that he needs to talk to me about something”

Vega looks away, Yalli notices, “What?”

“Oh nothing, what do you think he wants to talk about?” she asks.

“Eh nothing probably, he’s probably gonna tell me he is coming back to school and that he wants to be roommates next semester…”

“Oh…” Vega says.

“Yea, but I'm gonna have to tell him I've already got myself a roommate … you!” Yalli says with cheer.

Vega smiles.

Yea…lets just say…I hope he doesn't CURSE you out.





























February 04, 2023 04:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Keri Dyck
19:59 Feb 20, 2023

Hi Nissa! I was given your story to critique. In the first paragraph, you switch from past tense (stumbled, realized) to preterite continuous tense (was running, was vomiting), but the rest of your story uses present tense (bursts, sits). Writing is different than texting—extra exclamation points just make the story feel cluttered. I'm confused about her name, but that's probably just me. Is her name hyphenated and they just call her Vega for short? Or is she the only person in the story referred to by both her first and last name? You...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Graham Kinross
11:06 Feb 08, 2023

“I’m never drinking that much again,” I’ve said that before, a few times. She took that lightly. I’d be more grudgy about that kind of thing. Still I guess there are creepier things a guy could do to a girl who’s drunk. I was worried for a bit at the start, thought it was going to be worse. Worked out alright for Vega and Yalli though, nice.

Reply

Noon Moon
18:20 Feb 11, 2023

Hey Graham, and yea I've definitely said sentence before too 🤣 True, it could've got dark real fast! But yea I was definitely shipping Yalli And Vega :) thanks for reading mate 😋

Reply

Graham Kinross
23:21 Feb 11, 2023

You’re welcome. Keep them coming.

Reply

Noon Moon
01:19 Feb 19, 2023

will do!😁

Reply

Graham Kinross
02:37 Feb 19, 2023

Cool.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.