My Experience - Coween

Submitted into Contest #65 in response to: Write about someone’s first Halloween as a ghost.... view prompt

16 comments

Romance Teens & Young Adult

Mommy, Mommy can I go out tonight? "Sweetie, where do you want to go"? Mommy, Mommy I want to get a ghost costume for Halloween tonight. "Why don't you go with your father when he comes home from work"?

That is how it started. Hi! My name is Kenya and I am from Jamaica. I act like a toddler but I'm really only 10 years old. I live with my mama and my papa and they are always so nice to me, even though... sometimes they just treat me like I am younger. Mama homeschools me so she can save money and she also is a teacher. I like how Mama and Papa are by my side at all times. Halloween is a few days away and because of Covid, the government made an announcement that Halloween will be very different. Even, it is my first Halloween ever! I'm excited.

This year, I am thinking of being a ghost and I hope people do not make fun of me. I hope I'm not the only one going trick-or-treating. Right now it is dinner time, I have to eat or I am gonna starve. For dinner, mama wasn't home because she was getting my last-minute Halloween costume supplies, I made myself a delicious homemade cheeseburger.

It was really good. After that, I began to do a countdown: 1 hour away until trick-or-treating !! I cannot wait! Just because I wanted to be a ghost for Halloween mama said I have to wear white clothes, she is going to paint a face on my clothes so I look more like a ghost and so it is obvious to the trick-or-treaters. I heard the doorbell after I put on my white shirt, white shoes, white pants, and a white hat. It was a girl standing by my door crying to me, "are you my mama?" she said in a concerned voice. I was scared and I didn't know what to do at all. She had blonde hair, nice blue eyes that looked like the ocean, and a huge frown. She was in her Halloween costume as a ghost even though I was going to be a ghost, should I still be a ghost?

I told her softly, I am not your mother, but I can help you find your mother. Where did you last see her? What was she wearing and doing? "I don't know she just left me". I was angry because I didn't know what to do and I feel bad for this poor little girl. I picked up my mother's phone, to be honest, I don't know why she left it at home, right away I grabbed her phone and called 911 right away, I told them about the girl by my door standing there crying that she can't find her mother, they came right away in a few minutes! They told me that this girl was actually missing for 47 days and everyone was looking for her, they gave me 10K because as they said, "I found her". Her mother named Carol just hugged me gratefully when I was telling her it's Covid time!

They all said bye and took off the missing signs around the neighborhood about looking for this girl. Mama came home, she hugged me and she was crying happy tears as she heard the news that I did. For a second, I didn't know if this was a dream or if it actually happened. I saved a girl's life! I really did and I was proud of myself. Papa came home really late around midnight, I didn't see him but was on my way out of the house to go start my trick-or-treating during Covid. The corner of my eye, I heard people shouting "Let's go Kenya let's go"! I came home with loads of candy and the news reporters came with other people who are now fans of me, people actually wanted my autograph. "Say cheese everyone", mom was saying as she took a picture for the newspaper. I gave mama and papa some of my candy, just because I love them so much and I know they are always there for me.

There was this guy in front of my front door out of the house saying "He liked me so much". I was shivering and asked him, in what way are you talking about? and he responded back, "In a romantic way. I asked for his name and he said his name was Jonah and I told him I'm Kenya and we should go out somewhere sometime soon. In an awkward way he said, "We should totally go shopping". I told him it would be special if we go on our birthdays because we have the same birthday. We took a good photo together and said bye.

I told mama and papa that I wanted to save my ghost Halloween costume for next year, and they agreed to save it. They wouldn't stop embarrassing me as they think Jonah and I would make a great couple. They said for high school they would treat me to a prom dress of my choice. Why are they even talking about this now? I'm only 10 if they forgot.

I decided to bake a cake for Jonah just something nice to do. It's also because we both have the same birthday, the day after Halloween. I gave him some of my candy when I saw him. I found out he was 13 years old and he likes to play basketball which I like doing too. A few hours later.... I met Jonah at the mall and we were exploring the mall to see what was there and to see what we liked. When I passed by Starbucks in the mall, there was a band filled with people singing and using their instruments. We went to a private area, and we kissed on the lips. A juicy old kiss. After that, at the exact same time, we wished each other a great happy birthday. He was treating me to a $200 gift card for Starbucks. I was so happy and appreciated him. I hope we can date for a while and stay that way.

I said bye to him, we hugged and I took the TTC home to see mama and papa.

October 26, 2020 16:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

16 comments

Eric Zupnik
22:52 Nov 01, 2020

FROM THE BEGINNING OF THE STORY YOU HAD ME INTRIGUED WHAT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN. WHEN THE MISSING GIRL CAME TO YOUR DOOR AND YOU NOTIFIED THE POLICE, SHE WAS REUNITED AND YOU RECEIVED THE REWARD, IT WAS SO WONDERFUL TO SHARE IT WITH YOUR READERS. A LOT OF KINDNESS, A LOT OF THOUGHTS AND CREATIVITY WENT INTO WRITING OF THE STORY THAT HAD MY FULL ATTENTION AND INTEREST. WHAT WAS SO REFRESHING THE MEETNG WITH JONAH WHO SHARES SAME BIRTHDAY AND THEY ARE CELEBRATING TOGETHER. IT WAS A VERY FEELING GOOD EVENT AND THE CONCLUSION WAS SO DELIGHTFUL...

Reply

Ashley Smith
00:00 Nov 02, 2020

Thanks so much! SO special and means a lot. You are too kind!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Adam Agulnik
17:30 Nov 01, 2020

This was a fascinating story, which kept me intrigued from the beginning to the end. Well done, Ashley!!

Reply

Ashley Smith
18:18 Nov 01, 2020

Thank you! I am glad to hear.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rose Zupnik
16:15 Nov 01, 2020

I truly enjoyed the story. It was a great storyline enjoyed the sequence of events. The original ideas and imagination I was really intrigued by the twist in the story with the missing girl appearing at your door and the parents were called. Another good twist to the story in a very romantic way the meeting of the couple, going out, romantic good bye kiss and his generous bday gift Really enjoyed the story and looking forward to a sequel. Good writing

Reply

Ashley Smith
16:23 Nov 01, 2020

Ok thanks so much! Will do :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dawn Rosen
15:42 Nov 01, 2020

Very engaging story.

Reply

Ashley Smith
16:23 Nov 01, 2020

Thanks!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Emaan Kamran
14:17 Nov 01, 2020

Great!

Reply

Ashley Smith
14:21 Nov 01, 2020

Thank you so much :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Galit Z
20:06 Nov 01, 2020

Way to go, Ashley!

Reply

Ashley Smith
20:14 Nov 01, 2020

Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
James Gilbert
15:14 Nov 01, 2020

Good story

Reply

Ashley Smith
16:23 Nov 01, 2020

Haha thanks so much, James :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Philip Ebuluofor
05:41 Nov 05, 2020

Ten years and passionately, additional starbucks equalls bad news.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mark Agulnik
01:33 Nov 05, 2020

Very creative and engaging!!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.