0 comments

General

Mystery solved




Written by:Johanna Langford



    To my soon to be baby brother, who I believe will look up to me as I will look down at him.




Contents:

1.Why?



    Only Chapter

             Why?

I look up at my father as he smiles and kisses my forehead. His beard scratching my forehead making my giggle, he hugs me, he embraces me in the most powerful hug. He lets go. I still feel his body warmth against me. “Dear, I love you very much… Your mother and I will be back soon! Are you sure you can take care of yourself?” he says in his scratchy sweet voice. I take his hands and answer “Yes father”. Mother comes over and looks at me with sorrowful eyes “We WILL be back soon!” she says this as if she’s trying to make herself believe it. I nod, “Yes mother! I know,” I say, wondering if they were actually coming back. Images flashed in my head of the cruise ship sinking and people dying, Mother and Father screaming for their little girl. I shuddered just thinking about it. Mother and Father both looked at each other and nodded. I knew that they did this whenever they left but it made no sense. “Now you run upstairs and play like a good girl! Okay?” said mother, attempting to smile. That's what they always said, that exact same thing. I didn't understand why they were always weird and mysterious whenever they left me alone for a few days. I nod, they start walking away. I start walking away towards the flight of stairs. I reach the stairs. I take my first step, second step, third step, fourth step, fifth step. I stop, the step had slightly trembled when I put my weight on it, I look back to make sure my parents were gone. They were, I quickly and quietly kneel down and dig my fingers in between the rusting panel. It trembled again, then suddenly it stopped, I heard a faint bang. Then everything was quiet, absolutely quiet. I shiver in the cold room, Has this happened before? If so, how did I never notice it before? Is someone breaking into our house? Should I run? All of these questions raced around in my head. Then I see something moving, I can’t quite figure out what it is. It was dark, it made a scuffling sound and I quickly turn on a light. The lamp's faint glow gave me enough light to see the small figure a little better, the figure moved into the light. It was a mouse, I felt trapped. I had to get rid of it, but how? It started scampering towards me. I back away in fear to a far corner in the big dusty ballroom. It stops and turns its head sideways, he squeaks. He waits a minute and then squeaks the same thing, suddenly I realise he was saying my name, Betsy. “Betsy?” I whisper quietly. He nods and squeaks what sounded like a “Yes”. I stare at him in aw. “Wow! Wait how do you know my name?” I ask inching closer, trusting that he won't bite. He just looks at me as I come closer and closer. When I was about one foot away from him he suddenly squeaks excitedly and runs off into the dark.



 “Hey, come back!” I say desperately trying to spot him In the dimly lit room. I saw him, He was at the stairs he was pointing at something on the side with his little paw. Suddenly he puts his paw on it and it opens up. He jumps in, ”Wait come back! Hey!” I say running over to where he had jumped down from. I look down “Well… I guess I better follow him!”. I close my eyes, I breath in trying to keep it steady, In… out… in… out…. I was ready, shakily I get in position and... jump. The cold air blew my hair uppward as I tumbled and fell down the long narrow brick tunnel. I could hear screaming, Wait! I wanna turn back. I don’t wanna die! I think looking around me wondering where I was. Suddenly I land on something soft but I bang my head on the stone. I groan in pain, My head! My head!. I reach up and touch my head where it hurt. It’s wet. I bring my fingers over to my face to see if it’s red. I can’t see through the dark. I have to find that mouse, he knew my name . I need to know why. I say to myself as I grope the side of the stone wall and shakily pull myself upward. I hear him, “Hello? Mousy?” I say quietly. “Squeeeek!” he reply’s. “Is this a secret passageway to somewhere special?” I ask. He shakes his head. Suddenly he starts growing and changing shape. When he was done his shapeshifting he was the size of my father. Infact he was my father! “Father, why are you here? And why were you a mouse?” I asked, allowing my jaw to drop open. “We don’t have time to talk let's go, all I can say is that monsters were shut away here and every time we leave we go here to kill them and protect you” He says starting to climb up one of the really rocky walls. I follow his lead. “So you disguise as a mouse?” I ask as I continue working my way up to the top of the wall, finally I reach the top. Mother pulls me up “ Mother how did you get up here?” I ask while brushing of my dusty dress. I had forgotten about my head. My mother just noticed and gasped “Mark! Betsy is hurt! Oh come here!”. “What? Show me now!” he comands as he walks over to where we were standing. “See, it’s right here! She has a cut!” she points to a big bleeding gash on my head. “Your right, but she is fine! She can heal on her own.” he says. “Are you sure?” she askes desperatly. “Yes, I’m sure. But Betsy, you must promise to never go there ever again” he says. “ Yes father I promise! But why did you lead me there?” I say. “I wasnt leading you there! You followed me there, I was trying to scare you away by saying your name! But instead you were curious!” he answered. “Okay. I promise I won’t go there again. And thats a true promise, I never want to go there! Never Ever I don’t wanna die, Never ever ever!



March 27, 2020 18:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.