4 comments

Fantasy Fiction Friendship

From the vantage point of the balcony, Ruth stood motionless looking towards but not concentrating on the fireworks display. The horrid year was being ushered out, and the New Year welcomed in.   The sky looked pretty but her heart was not in the celebrations. Her sister and brother-in-law were beside her, clearly in a world of their own. Suddenly Sean, sensing Ruth’s demeanour, stood beside her. Theirs’s was a good relationship: the non-DNA brother Ruth had wished for. Sean put his arm around her shoulders.

“You are too good for the stupid toad Ruthie. You did the right thing and he knows it.” the kiss was light.

’For every pot, there is a lid” Sean continued “My Gran said that to me several times.”

“In your case it was true.” replied Ruth “I will never trust another man again Sean, never,” she said vehemently.

“Twaddles.” said Sean “never is an awfully long time, Ruth. Even Cindy agrees with me there; don’t you love?”

Cindy smiled at them both and hugged Ruth

“It’s time for the champers”.

 As she walked up with Cindy to the kitchen, Ruth reiterated her statement “No, I will never trust another man again.” the exception being Sean, of course.

Ruth was always fond of Martin. He was a workmate, but theirs was a friendship that had the potential to develop into something more. Yet though they shared the same interests, and there was a deal of respect and indeed affection, it never got very far. Then, the worst happened; Ruth realised she was in love with Martin. She would do anything for him. Her family tried not to get involved except to encourage her to be ladylike, supportive, dress well and so forth. Martin was a good bloke, different from the rest, time would tell. The list of platitudes went on, and she believed them. She just needed patience, which Ruth did not have much of, and was the first to admit such.

One night, Martin took her home form a work function. There was a traffic jam and while waiting for the safe passage through, they talked. Something was on Martin’s mind Ruth politely asked what was wrong. The scenario was believable but highly unlikely, yet Martin could sometimes show his ability to dispense with the truth in order to get a good story. He got Ruth’s sympathy vote, but he did not get the comfort he wanted.  

Oh, come on Ruth you know you want to.”

“Yes, Martin I do, but the right place and the right time.”

He undid the seat belt stretched over and nibbled her ear.  His hand caressed her leg and with a spider’s touch, crawled to her thigh. Ruth frightened and incensed turned and slapped his cheek.

“Take me home NOW; either that or to the nearest cab rank and offer the driver enough money to get me home.”

He blanched; apart from the sound of traffic, the rest of the trip home was silent.

A few days later at a birthday celebration, Martin came in late, his arm around the waist of Ruth’s work neighbour and friend Hattie.

“Hi Ruth.” said Hattie “I hope you can get home on your own tonight; Martin will be otherwise engaged.” They giggled. Ruth walked away in disgust. Yet her heart ached; she knew she was a foolish woman who had not grown up but she hurt inside nonetheless.

She discovered later that Martin and Hattie had dispensed with decorum. Hattie had the lovesick look about her, then Martin disappeared apparently on holiday. Several weeks later Hattie was at her desk in tears.

Ruth oh Ruth, what am I to do? He’s gone.”

Puzzled Ruth looked at her

“Who’s gone?”

“Martin. He has gone and is not coming back.” Hattie was weeping now and Ruth ushered her into the staff kitchen. Putting the kettle on, she asked a few pertinent questions. How do you know? when did this happen?

“There there, Hattie. He is not the only bloke in the world.” the words seemed cold in her ears

“Ruth, I’m pregnant.” she sniffed “It’s his.”

“He knows?”

Hattie nodded and sniffed again.

“And?”

“He turned pale, and said the A word””

“He what?”

“He’d pay”

“He sure will,” said Ruth through clenched teeth.

“He said you were strong on the night when you…you know.”

It all fell into place. Ruth, uncharacteristically, poured the tea, handed Hattie her cup, placed the chocolate biscuits on the table and picked her mobile phone up.

“Martin and I travelled by car together. He suggested a little light entertainment and despite how I felt I said ‘No’. He was not impressed.”  Hattie did not know where to look.  Ruth looked up Martin’s details on the phone and dialled the number. It rang and went into message bank

“Hi, this is Martin. I can’t take your call right now, but, I’d like to know it was you who called Leave a message. See ya.”

“Martin this is Ruth Boxer. Don’t ring me ring Hattie and arrange a meeting; otherwise, I will arrange one with Bill. l You are a prize fink.”

"Bill?” asked Hattie

“Our boss,” said Ruth

“The CEO?” Hattie said in disbelief

“Didn’t you know?” asked Ruth “Bill is both a solicitor and barrister.”

Ruth started to cry “Hattie I really loved Martin I thought he was the bee’s knees.” she pulled herself together “not now.”

She rushed out of the room, leaving Hattie alone to think.

Later the staff were told that Hattie was unwell but Ruth was informed she lost the baby. Martin resigned.

 The New Year was marching in. Alone with her thoughts, Ruth’s reverie was interrupted.

“Hello, Ruth.”

The voice was deep, resonant, familiar, and gorgeous.

“It is Ruth Boxer is it not?” She turned around and faced the man, a former workmate.

“Troy?” Ruth looked in disbelief “Troy Bennett? I thought you had gone home to the UK.”

“You are right I did. I discovered it was not home anymore.” Troy laughed l “I guess I’m more Aussie than I thought. I scrimped and saved and came back.”

She had forgotten how tall he was and how velvety brown his eyes were. After all, it had been two years since he left.

“Are you working?” she asked, still confused

“Yep, just got word yesterday; I start next week. Bill confirmed it. I think the last chap left in a hurry.”

So, he got his job back; Martin must have gone. Ruth sensed there would be no one missing him. She listened to Troy’s adventures and was certain the fireworks were still going; something was making her heart race.  From the corner of her eye, she could see Sean straining his neck watching her, then nudging Cindy, who looked at Ruth too.

“HAPPY NEW YEAR” Troy bent to kiss Ruth

“I hope it is a good year Ruth’

“For you too Troy,” she said

He took her in his arms, for what seemed a long time

Sean smiled and decided to sip from his glass.

“Well Martin you silly toad you missed out, “ he said “but Cindy, I think your mate Troy, is good enough for our sister.” he stopped then grinned “No, correction no bloke would be good enough for her because the best candidate chose you,” Cindy responded with a playful whack

Reader if you were watching from where I’m standing, you would see the faintest spark of nature’s fire igniting. Never is an awfully long time, and bruised hearts sometimes heal if handled with care.

Troy knew how to heal Ruth's heart.

THE END

January 08, 2021 01:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Jenne Gentry
22:35 Jan 14, 2021

Great job on your story! I love the title and how Ruth said she'd never trust again but then she did at the end of the story. She really dodged a bullet with Martin and it seemed like Troy was exactly what she needed. I also really enjoyed her relationship with her brother-in-law. In the first couple of paragraphs, you start a sentence with “Yet though”, I think “Though” would work well by itself. Keep up the good work!!

Reply

Claire Tennant
22:15 Jan 19, 2021

Thank you, Jenne, I don't think I'm finished with Ruth and Troy yet hehe!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Luna G
01:36 Jan 14, 2021

This was good story. I’m glad Ruth’s love life didn’t turn out how she expected it to. I really liked Sean, he seems like the type of guy I’d get along well with. Great job! <3

Reply

Claire Tennant
22:36 Jan 14, 2021

Yes, Sean is gorgeous I like when you create characters that are believable. Thank you for your encouragement Luna

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.