49 comments

General

The sound of birds caresses my ears; because of the same sound, my heart is bouncing at the same rhythm as the summer song of a free creature that admonishes me with its song. I'm sitting in a small mouldy room muffled with the dense thick canopy of the old oak tree. I wrapped my legs with my thin, pale arms that have very little strength in them. I closed my eyes to allow other senses to take over my body. The smell of sea salt is itching my nostrils while the sound of the waves of the same water is sinking me into deeper thoughts.

I remember every moment spent in this little place, which was once for me, when I was little, like a whole kingdom, and now I'm barely fitting in this little cramped space of life and my history. So many memories. I think to myself. 

This moment brings me back to my childhood, at a time when I was running around my old grandfather's legs when he was making this holy place. I remember his grey moustache and rare gray hair. His moustache and this little brittle place became like two sacred amulets, deeply carved in my heart. This House, although very old and, now for me, tiny, is the only part of my grandfather’s life that has been left for me as a memory, of course besides that famous moustache I will never forget. It scares me to think that this may be the last time I can visit this place… I didn’t want to think about it, so I quickly dropped that thought and continued to pay attention only to the sounds that bring me back to the beauty of life.

I move my gaze and with my small blue eye, I see something that sends chills down my spine. There it is, the box. I remember that small box, it used to be so shiny and now, it is rusty and old, like me. I get up and come just a bit closer so I can grab it with my tiny fingers with rusty bones like my box. I felt a shiny drop sliding down my cheek, it was a tear of happiness and nostalgia. When I opened it I found a letter. Yellow, rough paper with tiny spots on it that just shows how old I am. I opened it and began reading. 


Have you ever shed a tear so heavy that you felt pain through your whole body as if the mountain fell over your shoulders with it carrying all the wishes that crumble every day that passes for rejections that you can not control and immensely want them to be, instead of rejections, something like „we want you“? Well, I felt that. I have shed many tears that would make me so small, I would feel like I don’t exist, but when I come here, I feel like I own the world, and that is how every person should feel when they find their happy place. I know that I am not the only one going through „things“ but I still feel like I am alone in this... Yes, there is a lot of people just like me, but there are not beside me, they don’t know me, thus they can’t help me. 

Life may be challenging, but sometimes I feel like it challenged me to the point I feel like screaming „WHAT THE HELL, I’VE DONE EVERYTHING!“, but nothing, no one hears you. Sometimes I feel like I am stuck and trapped in a tiny glass box. I am screaming, I am crying, I am shouting, but... nothing – no one hears you, because the present you, the physical you is someone that people can hear, and see, but while the real you is stuck in that glass box, no one will feel what you feel, and no one will know what you are going through. 

For years I have been trying to break the glass, and break free my real self, but I couldn’t. There is just ONE reason for that, the glass can only be broken by the outsider – someone with so much power, someone that can do a thing for you that you don’t have the power to do it yourself. For every person is different. I can bet, that every person, just once in their life, felt as if they were stuck in the glass box. For some, they can be the one that can break that glass, but in my case, and for what I want in my life, I need an outsider. 

That miniature part of me – that is trapped inside of a glass box – is so loud and so heavy that feels like the whole universe is trapped in just one little mind that is my self. 

I feel like I can’t breathe, I feel like I am drowning – the glass box gets even smaller with each day that passes. Every day is getting harder, and harder, but I am not giving up. That glass box can not hurt me, it can’t and it WON’T kill me, because I am stronger. With each day that passes, not only does the glass box becomes smaller, but I am getting STRONGER. You need to feel weak so you can feel strong; you need to feel powerless, so you can feel powerful; you need to feel sadness, so you can feel happiness. Remember, that GLASS BOX is getting smaller, and you are getting stronger, so that means that the box will break, and the glass will shatter. All you need to do is to believe and stay strong. I love you my future self. Don’t ever forget that. 


July 2020.


I was only 19 years old then, and now I am 74 years old. Thank you my past self. I feel like I own you something – I broke the Glass Box, not long after I have written this. I got up and came down the Oak tree from my tiny treehouse with my rusty box in my hands. If there weren't for the ladder i would be able to climbe to my tree house, or come down.



When I came closer to the beach, I took my shoes off. I started walking over the hot sand that was scratching my feet. The wind was colliding with my body slowly moving the edges of my pearl white dress. A wave of freshness and the smell of sea salt slapped my face. That was the best slap I have ever received in my life. 

When I came closer to the water I could feel the cold waves crashing over my legs. They were so simple, yet so alluring. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath trying to feel all the feelings that this place was giving me. Then, I opened my box and took the yellow and rough letter from it. I placed the box beside my legs. I stretched my hand and rose it high. I looked up, watching my past self dancing in the wind. I let go of the paper, and there it was... my past self was flying high in the air coming closer to the beautiful blue sky, finally free. Now, I have officially set my past self out of the glass box. 



July 10, 2020 21:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

49 comments

Kylie Gillins
17:56 Jul 24, 2020

I like the imagery of the glass box. It is true no one can be there for you physically all the time and feel with you to gain understanding it is a jard truth.

Reply

Nancy Drayce
18:13 Jul 24, 2020

Thank you! 💜✨ Yeah, sad but true

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tina Laing
07:40 Jul 23, 2020

A great story

Reply

Nancy Drayce
07:45 Jul 23, 2020

Thank you 💜✨

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Faleha Hakim
10:24 Jul 22, 2020

Wonderful concept. I liked how you handled with this prompt.

Reply

Nancy Drayce
10:25 Jul 22, 2020

Thank you! 💜✨

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nico Grace
04:04 Jul 22, 2020

Poignant imagery and quiet introspection. I am a sucker for them both. Well done.

Reply

Nancy Drayce
10:22 Jul 22, 2020

Thank you so much!💜✨

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Stacey Mitchell
21:51 Jul 20, 2020

Love your writing style (: can you check out my short story to thanks.

Reply

Nancy Drayce
11:48 Jul 21, 2020

Thanks! 💜✨ Of course!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Serena Barile
18:27 Jul 20, 2020

Wow I love the description really well written story! I would appreciate it if you checked out my recent story I really hope you like it as much as I like yours ❤️ Amazing job!

Reply

Nancy Drayce
11:45 Jul 21, 2020

Thank you so much! 💜✨ Of course! 🤗

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jack He
14:53 Jul 20, 2020

I was very touched by the emotive language of the characters. I could sense your passion for this story just by reading it. I loved your writing style as well. Would you mind checking out my first story and see if it's good or not? The name of the story is called "The treehouse" Thank you so much!

Reply

Nancy Drayce
14:55 Jul 20, 2020

Thank you so much! It means a lot! 💜✨ I was going through something and that inspired me to write 🤗 Of course! As soon as I read it I will let you know what I think ✨

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
A.d Bunni
00:16 Jul 20, 2020

I love the whole idea of reflecting back on past memories and find this story sad, yet hopeful. I think you have great ideas, but maybe make your sentences less clunky. For example, "The sound of birds caresses my ears; because of the same sound, my heart is bouncing at the same rhythm as the summer song of a free creature that admonishes me with its song."- This sentence is a bit wordy and its meaning can get lost because the sentence is pretty long. Also, you repeated the word, "same" twice in the sentence, which could make the reade...

Reply

Nancy Drayce
06:47 Jul 20, 2020

Thank you so much! 💜✨ I will! 🤗

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Olivia Kuziel
17:22 Jul 19, 2020

Beautiful story, Nancy! The "glass box" concept was very relatable, and I enjoyed reading your touching descriptions of the character's emotions. I was especially moved by the second paragraph of the letter which does a great job of capturing the feelings of isolation that being trapped within a "glass box" can bring :) My only recommendation would be to keep going over the grammar. Here are a few suggestions: "with my small blue eyes," "Yes, there are a lot of people just like me, but they are not beside me," Overall, great work,...

Reply

Nancy Drayce
17:29 Jul 19, 2020

Thank you so much! 💜✨

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
06:25 Jul 19, 2020

You need to feel weak so you can feel strong; you need to feel powerless, so you can feel powerful; you need to feel sadness, so you can feel happiness - this line was so touching, Nancy. You had written the entire story very beautifully. Love the concept of the glass box. It was an awesome read :D If you don't mind read my latest story based on the same prompt. Thank you. :D

Reply

Nancy Drayce
10:29 Jul 19, 2020

Thank you soo much! It means a lot! Sure, as soon as I read it I will leave a comment to let you know what I think! 💜✨

Reply

16:11 Jul 19, 2020

❣️❣️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
E.F. Peterson
19:33 Jul 18, 2020

The following passage: "Have you ever shed a tear so heavy that you felt pain through your whole body as if the mountain fell over your shoulders with it carrying all the wishes that crumble every day that passes for rejections that you can not control and immensely want them to be, instead of rejections, something like „we want you“? Well, I felt that. I have shed many tears that would make me so small, I would feel like I don’t exist, but when I come here, I feel like I own the world, and that is how every person should feel when they fi...

Reply

Nancy Drayce
19:46 Jul 18, 2020

Thank you so so much! You made me so happy now! 🤗🧡🧡 Of course I will, as soon as I read some of your stories I will leave a comment and let you know what I think! 🤗

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Madelyn Sanchez
18:46 Jul 18, 2020

It was beautifully written! Could you check out my story "Holding Hands?" Thanks!

Reply

Nancy Drayce
19:44 Jul 18, 2020

Thank you! Of course 🧡

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
D. Jaymz
16:52 Jul 18, 2020

A finely written and emotionally rousing introspective piece. I enjoyed the calm cadence of words splashing across my mind, soothing my nerves, making my day a peaceful passing towards the night. I like your style. There will need to be revisions for grammar, typos, and logical consistency, but you will pick these out when you read it aloud. Such as in the sentence, 'If there weren't for the ladder i would be able to climbe to my tree house, or come down.' I believe you meant to write 'If it weren't for the ladder I wouldn't be able ...

Reply

Nancy Drayce
17:00 Jul 18, 2020

Thank you! I know I made a mistake when the letter ended, but I caught it when the contest already ended... Also, english is not my native language, so that can be a problem sometimes, but thank you once again 🧡

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Fatima Sajid
13:21 Jul 18, 2020

Please check out my story too.. It's my first ever attempt and I'm a bit nervous about what I wrote. Hope you like it though

Reply

Nancy Drayce
13:24 Jul 18, 2020

Of course I will! I will read it later, and as soon as I read it I will leave a comment to let you know what I think 🧡🤗

Reply

Fatima Sajid
15:14 Jul 18, 2020

Sure, thank you :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Fatima Sajid
13:18 Jul 18, 2020

Love this!

Reply

Nancy Drayce
13:24 Jul 18, 2020

Thank you! 🧡

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Deborah Angevin
23:08 Jul 15, 2020

I like the description of the character's emotions! It is very well-written, Nancy :D Would you mind checking my recent story out, "Orange-Coloured Sky?" Thank you!

Reply

Nancy Drayce
09:45 Jul 16, 2020

Thank you so much! Of course I'll read it, I would love to 💓

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Charles Stucker
16:00 Jul 13, 2020

Did you deliberately shift from present tense to past? It begins just before picking up the letter. I understand the letter could be written in a different tense, alluding to it being from the past, but then you don't shift back to present when the letter ends. I know you can still edit if it was not your intent. You repeat "little" three times in the second paragraph- which dragged my attention away from the story. "I broke the glass box not long after I have written" -the use of have written does not place the action firmly in the past - ...

Reply

Nancy Drayce
16:13 Jul 13, 2020

Thank you so much for the feedback! I will make sure to think about your suggestions next time when I write. I focused more on her life when she was young and difficulties in life, therefore, I didn't put so much focus on her age and climbing the tree 😂 that was the good point though! Thanks again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Djenat Remmache
21:57 Jul 12, 2020

I like the way you describe, I could feel her emotions. Very well written. ps: Do you mind read my first story, and give me feedback. Thanks

Reply

Nancy Drayce
07:33 Jul 13, 2020

Thank you so much! Of course 🤗

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
22:18 Jan 16, 2022

No wonder this is so popular, great story.

Reply

Nancy Drayce
13:18 Jan 25, 2022

Thank you so much, you are so kind ^^

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sia S
07:48 Feb 12, 2021

Beautifully constructed. Lovely. This deserved a shortlist. I love this. You write way better than me, and your so under-rated. (Not meant in a bad way) I love this.

Reply

Nancy Drayce
08:01 Feb 12, 2021

Omg, thank you so much for your kind words!! I'll definitely check out your stories! And, please, don't be hard on yourself. Just write and enjoy while you are doing it. You will get better better with each passing day and you'll surprise yourself! Once again, thank you from the bottom of my heart! 💙🌟

Reply

Sia S
09:02 Feb 12, 2021

<3 Welcome! Aw, your so sweet :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.