The Ring of Eluned the Fortunate

Submitted into Contest #27 in response to: Write a short story that ends with a twist.... view prompt

0 comments

Mystery

Of course this would happen to her. Only Luca could manage to be in the wrong place and wrong time every single time.  The first time had been when Luca had managed to get turned into a vampire after being a hunter her entire life. As soon as her family had heard, they did the most logical thing which was to disown her. But the problem was, she was supposed to be a hunter and knew every little thing about how to stay alive and how to avoid their own methods. It couldn’t possibly be that hard now could it? The second she had escaped a few traps, she made a run for it only to make it a few miles away and then she realized that she would need a place to stay before the sun rose and she burned up.


In her journey, she explored a town that appeared to be quite full of humans, tasty little meals, and quite possibly other supernatural creatures that she might be able to seek shelter with if she was lucky and could play her cards right. She had been walking with her phone in her hand as she looked for a place to grab a bite and without any notice, she walked straight into a person. Could her day get any worse? As she looked up from her screen, she noticed the person was a guy; he was a little bit taller than her so she did have to incline her head to be able to meet his eyes and suddenly she was quite surprised. It was almost like for once in her life she did something right. This boy was a vampire. Wait. Shoot. If he was a vamp, he could kill her in seconds if she did the wrong thing. Knowing she had to be careful but at the same time had to tell him what she was so she could get some help, she quickly processed what she could do. Run, or just talk…. Like a normal person. Or vampire. Right, because that was what she was.


After a short conversation, she had negotiated with him, found out his name was Ryan, he was an 18 year old but actually very old vampire - he wouldn’t tell her yet in fear or freaking her out since she was still new to all this - his family and a few other vampires had a place a couple minutes outside this town, and had no issues letting her stay there. Wait. Why did that name sound so familiar to her? She would have time to figure it out later, but first all she could think about was how he had asked no questions about who she was and where she came from or anything at all about her. 


Ten minutes later, they had walked and approached a giant mansion. Dang, whoever owned the house sure came from a whole lot of money. After stepping in, she took a look around as she followed him. She got a quick introduction from the rest of the family before being sent up the stairs to a room. The second she stepped into the bedroom (how this was to be called a bedroom she had no idea) her jaw dropped at the sight in front of her. There was a large fluffy bed, a desk, drawers, a large closet and an even bigger adjoining room for a bathroom. She forgot that there was another person in the room with her and ran to flop on the bed before a voice rung out, “I see you like your room, yes?” Quickly blushing at her actions, she sat up, slid off the bed and nodded quietly. He said to her quickly, “Well, I have things to do around here, but feel free to freshen up and look around.” Without another word he moved out of the room before she could even blink.


Setting down her bag to the side of the bed, she looked at her watch and saw that it was still night time which meant that she would be able to wander for a little bit longer before she would need to turn in before she burnt to a crisp. She had noticed that the people in the house walked around barefoot and thought that had been interesting and possibly a way around the house so she slipped off her sneakers and socks as well before setting off to explore the house. She made sure to look through every room and see all of its magnificent art and architecture. As she popped by an office, she saw Ryan sitting there doing some work and with an interest, she knocked before peeking in. She had been quite curious about a particular room. It had been slightly open and seemed to be filled with storage or junk, but she had no idea. “Sorry to disturb you, but I had a question for ya…” He looked up and stared into her eyes without any expression on his face making it very hard for Luca to guess what he might be thinking and whether or not he was angry at the disturbance. “Yes…? What can I do for you Miss Shawn?”. Blinking at the formality, she realized she had better ask it and get out as soon as she could. “So if you don’t mind me asking, but what’s in the room down the hall?”. He looked at her with a raised eyebrow and smirk before replying, “Just some items that may or may not be magical, feel to explore… you might just find something that catches your eye.” His eyes twinkled as he grinned before looking back down at whatever he had been doing and she took that as her cue to go ahead and exit. 


Cautiously, she stepped over to the room and pushed the door open as it creaked. She smell was a bit musty and she saw a thin layer of dust. After spending a few minutes she couldn’t see anything yet and figured that it would be better to come here later and spend some more time. As she turned to walk back over to the door, a small little desk caught her eye almost inviting her over and she couldn't resist. Strolling over, she looked around it and seeing some books she flipped through to see some really old texts and not knowing what the meant and the fact that they weren’t even English she set them back down.  She pulled open the drawers to see small little items filling them up. Her fingers pushed things around looking for nothing in particular as she wondered what all of this might be. Suddenly, something slipped onto her finger fitting her perfectly and she knew it must have been a ring. Those had always been something that she enjoyed wearing and had a collection of her own. What the hell?! Now she couldn’t see it nor could she see any of her body. Was this…. An invisibility ring? Those had only been in fun story books since she was a child. Wait. She remembered something from years ago. There was a name for this kind of ring right? She knew she should’ve been paying better attention when her father was trying to teach her to be a hunter. Oh yes! It was the…. She looked down to see a book title called “Ring of Eluned the Fortunate” and she smirked. It was almost like fate had wanted her to find it and holy crap it was extremely powerful. Based on the comment from earlier, she had no doubt that Ryan wouldn’t mind if it went missing for a bit….



TIME JUMP -- A week later


Everything was going perfectly and she had gotten accustomed to the ways of the house (yes it was good enough to be her home) and she had been welcomed quite generously. The way that Ryan had looked at her the following day after she had found the ring gave her the idea that he knew exactly what she found and that he seemed to be okay with it at the moment. When she wasn’t busy helping out around the massive place, she had been experimenting and almost pranking a few of the people to see how it worked. 


A text. That was all she got from her ex-family. “You live with them?!” What could it possible have meant. And then she realized what had just happened. The only family that she had ever heard of with this much wealth had been the Corden’s and she had just walked into her former family’s biggest enemy's house. She ran into Ryan as he was walking yet again but this time under dire circumstances. Her family had never had the guts or reason to attack this place but had known they had been waiting for a reason for generations and by doing what she did she had walked right into their devious little plans. “They’re here,” was all she said to him before he had bounded down the steps and it was like everyone in the house knew exactly what was happening except her. The pounding on the door took her out of her thoughts very quickly and she looked over the banister to see Ryan looking up at her with him pointing to her pocket and then his finger to his lips telling her to be very quiet. As her finger reached over to the bulge in her pocket she knew that that was the place she had been keeping the ring. Quickly, she slipped it on, and sprinted to what had been her room for the past week before grabbing somethings and tossing it into a small bag that she put across her body and looked out the window to see that the sun had just set.Without hesitation, she shoved her bag that she had had when she had moved in under the bed and quickly popped open the window before peeking down. Closing her eyes momentarily, she breathed before hearing the screaming and her father’s familiar bellowing voice.


Before she could do much more the door was slammed open and she could hear the knob making a dent at the wall. He froze and then held her breath realizing that she was still invisible. Turning slowly, she saw her father with such a rage in his eyes. As silently as possible, she moved backwards until she felt her back graze into the wall and she blinked. She could not get caught or else the whole family would suffer for it. He sniffed around and then looked directly at her. Thank god for the ring or else she would’ve been toast. When he looked throughout the room and bathroom clearly not finding her, she shrugged and walked out and yelled at someone else to check through the other rooms and clearing this one before she closed the door for the room she was in with a loud bang. She jumped at the sound and let out that breath she had been holding. Without any other hesitations, she moved back to the window where she put her foot on the ledge to get a foothold and then jumped out the 3 story building.


Luca paused for a minute to look back at the towering house and then sighed and she popped off the ring and prayed that she wouldn’t be noticed.. This chapter of her life was now over but it was fate’s signal to her to move on and get on with it. She was immortal now and had a lifetime ahead of her and maybe if she was lucky, she could come visit. Slipping the ring right back on and took another deep breath, and looked towards the dark forest that was behind the grand estate and smiled. It was time for yet another adventure. No one would be able to find her now and she was going to do everything in her power to learn everything she could about the wondrous ring that had just saved her life. 


February 03, 2020 16:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.