0 comments

Adventure

The sight of fascinating creatures under the water, as well as mesmerizing surroundings makes sea diving an indescribably lovely experience. However, why is it that when you're alone in the deepest parts of the ocean, there is a resounding fear? But, you can be the most courageous when you have someone beside you. Perhaps, it is proof that we were made to be in groups, fish, too, are generally 

found in schools and pairs.

I like water and swimming, but I am terrified of jumping from great heights and then shouting "oooooh" like my friends and making a great splash. "You can do it," reassuring words, never worked. Perhaps some things weaken us, a fact that reminds us, "Self, you have a limit". Acceptance of our limitations might be our most powerful weapon in achieving success in other areas of our lives. No one is flawless, yet everyone possesses a specific strength that is unique to them. Some people have the brains liken to Albert Einstein, or the flexibility and strength of Yulo, the known gymnast. There is something in each of us that distinguishes us and makes us unique.

Standing high on a mountain is an effective salve for a weary and perplexed heart. Not because it demonstrates our strength in carrying our weight, but because it emphasizes the truth that we are but a dot in such a vast universe. Having a bird's eye view of the world below can reveal that there is a bigger Engineer than our limited human brain can comprehend, and that science alone cannot explain all. We frequently see ourselves through the eyes of "me," but we forget that we are a part of a larger world.

When I leave the house, there is a small voice that says to me, "Check your phone." I frequently hear it and rarely check; when I arrived at the office, my phone is missing, probably on my bed; I should have listened. This is one of those occurrences that we are unable to explain. I'm not sure, but women are said to have a specific capacity called intuition, so that could be part of it. We frequently hear both loud and small voices; all we have to do is be open and listen. Listening can make the world a better place. Someone might ask, "How can this make the world a better place?" We can listen to ourselves, but most of the time we hear voices from outside, such as people crying for food, children who need to be loved, and even our environment, which I believe is crying for the needed balance.

I enjoy traveling by air, sea, and land. Riding a taxi or a jeepney in the Philippines provides some relief from a long day; if I close my eyes, I imagine myself in a yoga stance, removing all thoughts and finding calm despite the noise. For some, it may be impossible, but one can try. When I open my eyes, I have to hurriedly call the vehicle to come to a halt, walking miles to get home. This is amusing to me, but having that calm minute is great. This simply serves to remind me that the world is chaotic, but we can always find serenity in the most amusing and surprising ways.

I despise washing laundry, but it is when my mind is most active. I recall washing my hands with bubbles simply to jot down the idea for a project that was running through my head. That was one of my most memorable projects and most fulfilling one.

When I was younger, I enjoyed writing but never completed a narrative; I still marvel at how I managed to write such a long essay when I came across my scrapbook ten years ago. Because, to be honest, I can no longer write vividly and imaginatively, yet opening that scrapbook offered my brain a steady drive to the joyful world of fantasy whenever I felt like it. When I first started scrapbooking a few years ago, I was distraught.

They say life is too short to waste time overthinking things, and I agree. Some think great things happen by chance and happenstance, such as a fallen apple tree and Isaac Newton giving birth to the universal law of gravity, or Percy Spencer inventing the microwave. But I believe there is a hand at work in these occurrences; they are accidents orchestrated by a higher power.

“You one of the most sought-after lawyers now, you must be the happiest.”

“Well, someone has to do it. You sure wanted it when we were in high school, but you did it.”

“That's interesting; you despise debates and would rather be wallpaper.”

“I'm in love with them now.”

“The word love is a powerful one.”

People plan, yet some break from this constructed brain activity and transform into someone else, while others stick to it for the most part. Maybe if we just did what we really wanted to do.

Nowadays, we compete for jobs in the city, work hard, and earn a lot of money, yet we are unsatisfied and unfulfilled at the end of the day. We have large houses, and some of us can afford to build an elegant pool and large beds. I've been listening to a lot of motivational presentations by people like Ernst Gotch about his syntropic farming and others who advocate permaculture principles and Jon Jondai from Thailand. Incredibly, these people find joy in the most basic of forms. People are also downsizing in every aspect, as we see and hear. The terms "little earth footprints," "agroforestry," "permaculture," and "living simply" are frequently used. Some people believe that nature is the finest therapy. Breathing fresh air and taking a forest bath have both rejuvenated me in the past. Some think that this will become a new fad, allowing us to live life to the fullest.

Many young people are put at the edge and find ending their life the sweetest escape. The melodrama of life is indeed a paradox, our experience may break us or mold us to become the best version of our self. Savoring this intricate reality, on the other hand, is a much sweeter escape.

July 10, 2021 08:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.