A Summer Dream

Submitted into Contest #262 in response to: Write about a summer vacation gone wrong.... view prompt

1 comment

Fiction Horror Thriller

The pine trees swarmed around the lake like a great barrier keeping everything safely inside. To the boys: William and Michael, it seemed like the woods were creating a private summer get-away spot just for them. Of course, their parents and little sister were still tagging along - someone had to provide the snacks and juice boxes, they supposed. But once they had been well sunscreened and had their floaties tucked on they felt like they were swimming all along on their perfect island. 

“Billy! Mikey! It’s time for lunch!” called their mother from the picnic table just inland from the lake. The boys could already smell the meal their father was grilling and it was clear their mother had laid out all the necessary items for burgers from the small ice chest they had brought. Their sister had already begun drinking a bottle of Kool-Aid and smiling at them with a rather blue mouth. The boys looked at each other and instantly started racing up the sand trail back to their family. 

The boys playfully pushed each other and tried to hold the other one back in order to win but in the end, they both arrived at the table together. Their mother, Susan, smiled down at them, trying to pretend as if she weren’t annoyed that their ‘playing’ always included roughhousing. She was a sensitive woman and not at all interested in anything violent or what she called ‘not life-giving’. However, when it was meant for fun, she often let it pass so as to not cause an exasperated uproar from the rest of her family. 

“You two ought to play more kindly, or else someone might think you two just love violence and will offer you more than you can handle,” Susan said, trying to speak jokingly but came off just weird and a bit annoying. The children brushed it off and continued to tease each other and their little sister. 

“Who wants cheese?” Jake asked, opening the package of presliced American cheese that was in the cooler. All the children raised their hands. He could tell from Susan’s expression that she would have also liked some but she refused to raise her hand for fear the cheese would go straight to her hips. Jake offered a weak smile but said nothing as he turned back to the grill.

“Who would like to say grace for lunch?” Susan asked. Both of the boys groaned in unison. 

“Do we have to say grace? It’s summer vacation!” Billy whined. 

“Just because it’s summer doesn’t mean we need to be any less grateful for all the things we have,” his mother answered. 

“Will Jesus take it all away if we don’t pray?” the little girl asked, speaking for the first time. Susan smiled and Jake stifled a laugh as he put the cooked meat onto the paper plate. 

“No, Jesus doesn’t give things in order to be thanked but it’s still important we remember to be grateful. We are a lot better off than most people and it’s important to keep that in mind,” their mother replied. Jennifer, the daughter, did not look at all satisfied with this answer but she said nothing. 

“Soups on!” Jake called, setting the plate down on the table and dishing up the meat. Everyone had already prepared their burger buns and were ready to finish it off with the main ingredient. As soon as everyone’s food was ready, Jake took his seat and held out his hands, his wife did the same. Reluctantly, the children followed suit and bowed their heads. Their father gave a prayer, which in the boys’ minds was much more like a long sermon, and then squeezed the hands he was holding and they prepared to eat. 

When they had finished, Billy and Mikey wanted to race back to the water but their mother insisted that they needed at least 30 minutes to rest and settle their stomachs. Both of the boys groaned and moped and then decided to take the opportunity to explore the woods. 

“Now don’t go wandering too far and get lost! You don’t want to make a meal for some kind of wild bear!” Their mother called. 

Billy and Mikey laughed it off, thinking that first off they wouldn’t run into a bear but at any rate, they could take a bear together. The two of them talked and made up stories about how they were as strong and wise as Optimus Prime or a crazy fighter like “Stone Cold” or “The Rock”. Then their conversations turned to simpler and more manageable fights and arguments like the best Pokémon or how to win a Yu-Gi-Oh card game. 

Then all at once, they heard a noise. It sounded like a little girl crying. The boys exchanged an uneasy glance. 

“Should we check it out?” Mikey asked. Billy shrugged. He didn’t want to admit that he’d rather turn back - especially not if his brother was brave enough to investigate. 

The two moved closer to the h sound and the cries became more distinct.

“It sounds like Jen. Do you think she came in here after us and got lost?” Billy suggested, suddenly feeling much braver. Mikey chuckled and playfully punched his brother's shoulder. 

“Hey, Jen! It’s us! We found you, you’re alright. Come on out now!” Mikey called. The crying stopped abruptly. The two of them continued down the path toward the sound of their crying sister. 

“Come on, Jen. The gig is up, we found you,” Billy called again. 

“I can’t, I’m stuck. Come help me!” their sister cried out. Both boys looked at each other with a smirk. Of course, they would help their sister, but this would serve for lots of teasing for the rest of the summer vacation. That was something they would really enjoy. 

“Hold on, Jen,” Mikey called out, barely able to contain his laughter, “we are on our way!” 

The two of them carried on, calling out if they lost the trail towards her. Jen would always answer with a cry and beckoned them forward. It was almost sunset when the boys finally came upon a large cave. The mouth of it opened up into a foreboding black pit that offered eerie and ominous adventures. 

“I’m in here!” Jen cried out. 

The boys wasted no time and ran into the cave despite not being able to see a foot in front of their faces. Almost at once, they were completely engulfed in darkness as if something had shut off the entrance behind them. Before either of them could even register enough to feel worried or fearful they found themselves facing a pack of the most horrifying and strange creatures they had ever seen. One of the creatures was still crying in Jen’s voice while another was still begging them for help, again in their sister’s voice. Both of the boys were stunned with fear and paralyzed in their thoughts. 

“What… what are you?” Billy managed to whisper. None of the creatures ventured a reply. Instead, they opened their mouths wider than any human mouth should be able to, though it was already apparent these creatures were less than human. There were rows of teeth in their mouths that seemed to almost be swirling around. Without another moment of hesitation, the creatures lunged at the boys. 

It was after nightfall when Billy and Mikey made it back to their campsite. Susan and Jake were none too pleased that the boys had stayed out past dark. Their mother gave them an awful lecture. In fact, she had been so worried and angry at her sons that she didn’t notice that both of them were much quieter than they normally would be. Neither of them was talking back or objecting to her discipline. 

After a moment Jake stopped his wife and gave the boys a small bowl of cereal for dinner. Both of the boys at manically as if this was an unusual practice for them. They stared straight ahead and never uttered a sound. It wasn’t until all five of them were snuggled into the tent together that anyone was aware that these boys were not Billy and Mikey at all. Of course, by then, it was much too late.

August 09, 2024 03:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

22:31 Aug 14, 2024

Yikes! What a change of mood! The first part brought back all kinds of memories, and the ending chilled my soul.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.