0 comments

Christian Friendship East Asian

Once upon a time, there was a young man who lived in a small village. I met him at the bus stop near my university. There he was, a young gentleman in a T-shirt. He had nothing in particular to catch my attention. At that time, I was waiting for a bus to go back home as soon as possible because I needed to write an academic essay on “The Natural Environment.” 


To be honest, I did not know how to start it. There were fears of failing the course and negative feelings in my mind. My situation is “like a meaningless pebble on the road, bound for nowhere.” [1]


   - “Hello, how are you?” the man talked to me with his gentle voice on this scorching hot day.


   - “I’m fine. Thank you. And you?”


   - “I’m pretty well. Do you want to move over here to sit in this shady place?” The gentleman moved aside.


   - “Yes. Thank you very much.”


A stranger tried to talk to me. I did not want to talk to strangers, but his gentle voice was trustworthy. It was similar to “a voice like the whistle of birds.” [3] 


He came to my university to help all freshman students starting their first semester. There he was, a Japanese man in casual clothes, waiting to talk to students in the entrance lobby. He was not so handsome, so there was nothing special to catch the attention of the students. However, I came to talk to him because he told students that his family would give free supplies for all students, such as laundry, hangers, pens, and a box of detergents. His first impressions he conveyed were kindness and a good sense of humor. He was a helpful person who was willing to give international students a ride to a supermarket.


His family started a business a long time ago. They cooked Pho, a Vietnamese traditional soup. He had learned how to cook Pho since he was a child. He went to a market to buy noodles, white and green onions, scallions, vegetables, beef, mushrooms, and other ingredients. After that, he tried to cook the soup at home. The soup was delicious, and his family members liked it. Then he started his business to serve Pho to everyone.


   - “What is your major?” he asked me a question.


   - “Mathematics. How about you?” I answered his question.


   - He replied: “English and other languages. I can speak Spanish, Japanese, and English.”


   - “You look tired. What is the matter?”


   - “There is an academic essay about the natural environment, and I don’t know how to start it. My major is Mathematics. It is not related to biology.”


   - “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.” [4]


   - “Really? Could I ask you some questions, please?” I nodded my head.


   - “Yes.” He spoke.


   - “Find a list of the top ten worms that are currently active around the world.” I asked him the first question in my essay.


   - “Well, it is an interesting question. Let me think about it. I will answer your question because you ask me the question.” “For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.” [5]  


   - “Okay.” I nod my head 


   - “There are some ideas about it. Do you want to listen to them?” He spoke slowly to me.  


   - “Yes. Please!” I agreed with him.


  - “There are different kinds of worms. They live on plants or flowers. If you understand how to grow a garden, you will find the answer to your question.” He spoke.  


   - “Okay. Could you tell me more about it, please?” I replied.


   - “Look at how a flower in a field grows. Is it beautiful?”


   - “Yes. it is.” I answered.


   - “Look at the birds in the air.” [6] Do they have freedom?


   - “Yes, they do.” I replied.


  - “If you observe the flowers, you will find the places where worms live. If you see some birds, you will find some worms because birds eat worms. Moreover, looking at birds is important for you to relax and enjoy life. If you take a look at some birds, you will have the freedom to open your mind to new ideas.” He spoke. 


   - “Worms, birds, and flowers are related to each other. If you take time to find more information about them, you will have the answer to your questions.” He explained.


   - “Thank you very much. I appreciate your help.”


   - “Two are better off than one because together they can work more effectively.”


He illustrated his ideas. You should find some classmates to study together as a team. One person alone could find it difficult to fight laziness, lack of motivation, time-consuming assignments, frustration, abstract and difficult lessons. However, the teamwork of two students is better than only one student. If one student does not know how to do the assignment, the other students can help him. Other students can help each other to understand the lesson effectively. 


There is an example to illustrate the benefits of teamwork. If your friend does not study and plays video games, you will help him focus on his study. You help him to resist playing video games. The video game is an enemy of academic achievement. You and your friends working together will create better results. Two people can resist an attack that would defeat one person alone.” [2]


There was no bus for another thirty minutes. However, I enjoyed the conversation. My bus came to the bus stop unexpectedly. Then I said goodbye and wondered Whether I would have another chance to listen to his opinion. He was a kind man, and his ideas were helpful for my essay. 


References:


[3] Arabian Nights.


[1] Do, N. T. D (2010, June 2). The game of ‘give and take’. Retrieved from http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?50641-The-game-of-quot-give-and-take-quot


[2] Ecclesiastes. Chapter 4, verse 9-12. 


[4] Gospel of Matthew. Chapter 7, verse 7.


[5] Gospel of Matthew. Chapter 7, verse 8.


[6] Gospel of Matthew. Chapter 6, verse 26.


April 16, 2021 09:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.