My Long Overdue Letter to Me

Submitted into Contest #101 in response to: Write a story that involves a reflection in a mirror.... view prompt

61 comments

Creative Nonfiction Funny American

July 8, 2021

Attn: Mr. Stevie B’s Reflection

c/o Mia Mind Music

256 Sixth Street

Suite # 2

Hobohemia, NJ, 07030

Re: These occasional lapses in communication

Dear Self,

Long time no see (LOL). You’re not looking all that bad today. I keep bumping into you in the bathroom mirror, but it seems like we never get the opportunity to talk anymore. We usually see each other in the mornings while shaving, and brushing our teeth, combing what’s left of our hair. Other than that, we don’t spend too much of our time looking in the old, looking glass anymore. Nothing against mirrors, but frankly, at our age there’s nothing much new to see there anymore. How have you been lately?  

 Me? Well first off, I want to apologize for not having taken better care of you these last six decades or so. Really could have done a better job of that, especially with brushing and flossing our teeth more when we were both younger. But hey, we’re all only human, and in my defense, my “Hot-Doc” (the one who I love the way she always enters the examination room like some Victoria’s Secret model strutting down the catwalk—ooh-la-la…) has diagnosed me as being afflicted by what scientist and medical professionals like her term chronic laziness. So, who’s really to blame here?

I’m sure you’ve noticed that we’ve now gotten really old, haven’t we? And which probably comes as, as much of a surprise to you as it does to me. Because during those early morning meetings in the mirror, where admittedly we each always expect that long-gone youthful sixteen-year-old kid to be the one reflecting back at us from the ol’ looking glass, then when it’s not we’re both rather startled by our present appearance. Plus, neither you nor I ever bet on, or planned, that we’d live this long. Guess you could say we’ve gotten older—although—regrettably no wiser. But then on the upside; a life sentence in prison would no longer be much of a deterrent anymore if either of us had a master crime in mind, right old man?   

There was something else I wanted to tell you, but it just slipped my mind. Has that been happening to you as much as it’s been happening to me lately? LOL! I’ve lost count of how many times of late I’ve gotten up to get something or do something, then as soon as I’m on my way to it I forget what I was going for. Or asking a question of someone only to be told I’ve asked that and had received their response earlier. And don’t get me started on the déjà vu-like experience of seeing a TV show or film, then in the middle of it occurs to me I’ve already seen it, but have the little-to-no recollection of viewing it previously. In addition, I now not only write out lists in the morning of the things I want to get done during the day but also need to sort out my daily doses of meds and vitamins into my weekly pill organizer least I neglect to take them, or at worse, will double dose and take them twice. It’d be embarrassing if it wasn’t so funny. Oh well, at least we can still laugh at these awkward inconveniences borne as one of the many burdens by us aging antiquated antiques.

Then there are the words. You know, I still write a lot (at least a few lines or more every day, if I can), but oft times I’ll look at the words I’ve written, confused and wondering if I’ve arranged them in an order that really communicates the meaning I’m trying to convey to my readers. Sometimes, while staring at what I’ve written, it feels as if my head’s about to start spinning because of my current uncertainty regarding spelling, syntax, and grammatical structure in areas of written composition which I once felt abundant confidence in producing.

Please don’t get me wrong; I appreciate the fact the fates still allow me to get out of bed, albeit with a set of new aches and pains each morning, to play for yet another day. After all, it sure beats the grave alternative, doesn’t it? Okay, Self, got to get to the grind of earning a living. But before I go, I just want to say; after sixty-some years this may be as good as it gets, but let’s keep getting it good for as long as we Earthly can. Later, my friend!

Sincerely,

Stevie B

Resident Bastard

Mia Mind Music

Enclosures: All the baggage that comes with being me

cc: Anyone who cares to read this silly thing

PS: One last thing, Self. First off, I want to also apologize for the length of this long letter. I really feel obliged to offer you an absolutely accurate and articulate explanation for this capricious and callous consumption of your precious time, so here it is.

You, see, I’m entering this letter as a story submission to one of Reedsy’s weekly writing prompts competitions. Unfortunately, due to the competition’s rules and requirements, submissions must be at least one thousand words in length, but no longer than three thousand words in length.

Why do I enter competitions, such as this, you may ask? Well, that would be an excellent question. I’m so glad you asked! It’s a wonderful way to interact with Laura’s Children. Laura (Reedsy) is the kind lady who sends out these writing prompt emails each week to writers. And if I may be so bold to speak not only on my behalf but also on the behalf of most of the other writers here, many of us have come to feel like we’re her scribbling children.

This story really ended after that signoff salutation. But in order to comply with the rules, as soon as I reach the 1000th word, I will end it, enter it, and will write no more about it.

July 08, 2021 16:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

61 comments

Clinton Siegle
17:27 Jul 09, 2021

The reflection and writing got me into the story. Thank you for sharing. PLEASE share all your stories here https://www.facebook.com/groups/1346217065712905 and I am sure you will find things there you will enjoy.

Reply

Stevie B
17:35 Jul 09, 2021

Thank you, Clinton, I'll be sure to check that out.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Emma Lekhesi
05:44 Jul 11, 2021

This is a great story and funny. The way in which the doc is admired really made me laugh.

Reply

Stevie B
11:16 Jul 11, 2021

Emma, thanks for the kind comments.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Stevie B
21:52 Jul 08, 2021

AUTHOR'S NOTE: When I'm in between writings I sometimes write letters to myself, but seldom often enough. So, as one of Laura's (Reedsy) many crazy children, here's what I pushed my pen (who still use pens?) toward in that direction. And yes, excluding the title, this is exactly 1000 words. Don't believe me? Then count them!

Reply

Show 0 replies
N K
13:12 Jul 17, 2021

This was so lovely! I think it was a beautiful and original take on the prompt and it just seems like such a great idea to check in with yourself every now and then like this. The sense of humor and lightheartedness made this such an enjoyable read. I particularly liked the line about how a life sentence would no longer be much of deterrent! Great job!

Reply

Stevie B
13:24 Jul 17, 2021

Thank you and so glad you enjoyed it, Natania.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ryan Leone
10:51 Jul 16, 2021

This was very well-written. It was a pleasure to read!!

Reply

Stevie B
12:28 Jul 16, 2021

And it was a pleasure to read your comment, Ryan. Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ramona Taylor
05:03 Jul 16, 2021

So clever! You always make me lol, Not recognizing that old woman in my mirror, I could related to your letter. The bit about the 1000 words just killed me! : D

Reply

Stevie B
12:30 Jul 16, 2021

Ramona, glad to make you laugh, and thank you for your kind comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Anna Kerr
23:17 Jul 15, 2021

I really liked this! I’ve always thought of writing letters to myself!

Reply

Stevie B
23:21 Jul 15, 2021

Anna, then no better time than the present to begin. Thank you for your comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Krishna Pandit
06:05 Jul 15, 2021

It was funny and poignant at the same time, I liked the P.S., it made me laugh.

Reply

Stevie B
11:52 Jul 15, 2021

Krishna, many thanks for taking the time not only to read this but to comment as well. Back in the days when people actually use to write letters to one another (my time), oft times, it was in the P.S. where the real truth was to be found.

Reply

Krishna Pandit
12:33 Jul 15, 2021

I would have read the P.S first then, sir. Though I never got to write a letter to anybody in my lifetime, I am still a sucker for some old things like writing letters or writing stories using pen and paper. My mom tells me she used to write letters to her sister when she was married off far away. She used to be so eager to receive replies, waiting for months on end. Its all changed now.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Krishna Pandit
12:33 Jul 15, 2021

I would have read the P.S first then, sir. Though I never got to write a letter to anybody in my lifetime, I am still a sucker for some old things like writing letters or writing stories using pen and paper. My mom tells me she used to write letters to her sister when she was married off far away. She used to be so eager to receive replies, waiting for months on end. Its all changed now.

Reply

Stevie B
13:02 Jul 15, 2021

I hope this doesn't shock you too much; when I was a kid we use to have to stand up from the sofa, and walk all the way across the living room floor to change the channel on the television. Then we'd walk back across the floor and sit back down on the sofa again. Oh, the horror, Krishna!!!

Reply

Krishna Pandit
15:49 Jul 15, 2021

Well, I must say that I am glad internet came, now we can watch whatever we like on our phones. But it was the quality time spent with family which was so precious at that time, now things are becoming more and more distant....still, I like to watch T.V with my mom and papa, though I fight a lot for the remote with my brother lol.

Reply

Stevie B
17:01 Jul 15, 2021

Please don't fight too much with your brother. Not only are brothers people too, but I was once one myself...

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Breanna Barber
22:30 Jul 14, 2021

I found this to be the type of story to oneself that demands to be read out loud. I laughed and smiled the whole time while reading this. Thank you for taking the time to write this and share what some of us young people have to look forward to. lol :) I hope I don't let this life make me bitter and can still laugh at myself like you're able to. p.s. Thanks a lot for the like on my recent short story! "The Queen of Smoke and Mirrors." It is a simple like, but it means a lot to know people enjoy my stories too.

Reply

Stevie B
23:40 Jul 14, 2021

Breanna, I did indeed read and like your story, thank you for sharing it with me. So glad you enjoyed mine. Since we've already shared with one another, I wish to share with you another item that we aging souls rarely share with younger people: the best part of aging is you no longer, blessedly, have any more f**Ks left to give, much less share with anyone...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kendall Defoe
19:04 Jul 14, 2021

Clever, clever...

Reply

Stevie B
19:07 Jul 14, 2021

Thanks, thanks...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:16 Jul 14, 2021

Yes, this one had me smiling and later laughing my guts out. You are one talented writer. I shall definitely be reading more of you. I would greatly appreciate if you read mine. Thanks a lot

Reply

Stevie B
16:28 Jul 14, 2021

Neel, that you for those great words of encouragement. They make the struggle of writing well worth while. I've read some of your work and did enjoy it too,

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Fiery Red
06:03 Jul 14, 2021

Wow!! I really loved how you presented your story. Had a good laugh too. Great writing!

Reply

Stevie B
10:58 Jul 14, 2021

Fiery, thank you and glad you got a laugh from it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alizah Muhammad
19:00 Jul 13, 2021

Hey there! This is a great story, I loved it not only because of how well written it is but also because of how I could connect with it. Had a lot to learn from your story (saying as a story writer myself) :)

Reply

Stevie B
19:23 Jul 13, 2021

Alizah, thank you for your kind words. Then you know as a writer how as enjoyable it is to create that it's even more enjoyable to receive the kind of positive feedback you've shared with me today.

Reply

Alizah Muhammad
21:21 Jul 13, 2021

I do and you totally earned it! 😃 I look forward to reading more of your stories 😁

Reply

Stevie B
21:30 Jul 13, 2021

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
17:01 Jul 12, 2021

I love how you turned this story into a letter! It was very interesting to read it. It's so funny and I love the part where his old self describes the doctor ;). Also I love all the little "LOL"s I read in the story! Great writing!!

Reply

Stevie B
19:04 Jul 12, 2021

Thanks very much, Bella, and so glad you enjoyed this missive.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Cox
18:52 Jul 11, 2021

Oh my goodness! This is such a great story! I love how you totally broke the 4th wall and admitted that this is for a writing competition! I almost felt like I was the one in the wrong place for reading the story! I loved the jokes and how the story was relatable but also ended on a positive note! Love it!

Reply

Stevie B
19:28 Jul 11, 2021

Thank you very much, Lily, for your kind and encouraging words.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Charlie Murphy
17:47 Jul 11, 2021

Great story! As I saw that I was scrolling to the end, I was surprised it was short. And when I read the end, I smiled.

Reply

Stevie B
19:32 Jul 11, 2021

Charlie, thank you. I've been attempting to embrace a discipline in my writing of once I've written what I wanted to write then simply stop writing more.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Harini Alagesan
03:19 Jul 11, 2021

Love the concept and you really got me intrigued. Great work!

Reply

Stevie B
11:17 Jul 11, 2021

So happy you enjoyed this, Harini.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Andrea Magee
20:09 Jul 10, 2021

Cooool beans man....loved it!

Reply

Stevie B
20:52 Jul 10, 2021

Thank you, Andrea.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
19:32 Jul 10, 2021

As I started reading this, I just kept smiling and even laughed at some point. The descriptions and in general explanation of getting older and our thoughts on it, are just great. You're really talented!

Reply

Stevie B
19:43 Jul 10, 2021

Nidhi, your kind words made my day. Thank you very, very much.

Reply

19:48 Jul 10, 2021

You're most welcome :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Theresa Bhowan
19:28 Jul 10, 2021

I loved this. And the author's note at the bottom made me crack up. How often have we all been short on words but never had the courage to look it point blank in the eye and address it in our story. Brilliant writing from a brilliant mind.

Reply

Stevie B
19:46 Jul 10, 2021

Theresa, you're making me blush! Words such as yours are the greatest reward I could hope for from writing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.