I Promised

Written in response to: Set your story in a nameless world.... view prompt

67 comments

Fantasy Adventure Teens & Young Adult

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

*Hey guys!! I wrote this for fun out of nowhere, so sorry if it's not great. I wanted to share it with someone because I'm proud of how much my writing skills have grown in the last year since joining Reedsy. Enjoy!*


Alina pulled her sheathed sword off the wall and strapped it to her side. She then put on her cloak; which was rich red and had gold trim on the hem, and tied back her hair into one long, dark braid. A few stray hairs were already escaping the tight binding of her hairdo. 

Alina then exited her small room in the army base, where she lived as a guard. She walked down the hallway, passing her favorite tapestry in the palace; which depicted the beautiful city they lived in, Brittlecliff. The city was placed upon a vast cliff that had a gushing waterfall running down its length. The fact that her parents had brought her here before they were executed, she had always considered good fortune. 

She reached the door to the room where her best friend, Theon, lived. Knocking a steady pounding pattern they’d made up when they’d become friends ten years ago, when they were just eight years old, she announced her presence. Theon opened the door, his face brightening when he saw her. His hair was styled in the pattern of an archer, who were held in much higher rank than sword fighters like herself. It was shaved on one side and the other side was grown down to his chin. 

“Hi.” said Theon.

“Hello. Did you get the note to appear in the queen’s court in an hour?” she asked, staring into Theon’s calming hazel eyes. Whenever she locked gazes with him, her heart skipped a beat.

“Yes. Shall we take a long walk on the way there? I hear the roses are beautiful this time of year at City Center.” 

“I’d love that.” Everytime they were together, it was always a bit formal and stuffy at first, but then they always dissolved into informality and laughter within minutes. Many said it was improper, seeing as they were proper marriage age and male and female.  

The pair exited the base, then slowly walked down the path. Theon had his bow slung over his shoulder, Alina released, along with his quiver and hunting daggers. Theon led them towards City Center, where the rose garden was located. They entered the garden. 

The summer breeze carried the sweet scent of the roses through the air, and Alina breathed in the wonderful aroma. The summer sky was clear and peaceful, and no clouds were in the sky. Alina was suddenly very aware of Theon’s presence next to her. “Do you know what the meeting with the queen is about?” Alina asked. 

“I heard someone say it’s about a threat that we got from the kingdom of Haran. I believe they’ve threatened to attack our borders, causing a catastrophic war.” Theon said. 

The air left Alina’s lungs. A war? “Oh.” she finally said in barely a whisper. She was an extremely well trained soldier and had been on many combative patrol jobs, but never a full scale battle.

They had both subconsciously stopped on the side of the trail, under the shade of a willow, its green leaves waving in the wind. Theon stared at her, his eyes a vast sea of yellow-green. “Trust me, it will be okay.” 

“But the warriors of Haran are excellent fighters, aren’t they?” she said worriedly. 

“Well yes, but you are one too. We’ll have a meeting with the queen and plan out our attack.” 

“Then promise me something. If anything happens, we will always be at each other’s sides. I’ve lived at your side, and I would like to die at your side, if it comes to that.” said Alina, her eyebrows furrowing. 

Theon nodded. “I promise.”

They walked through the rose garden for some more time, their hands intertwined. Soon they were expected at the palace and as they crossed the threshold of the castle, they were whisked away into a huge meeting chamber, where the queen sat. 

Alina had seen her before, but her beauty still struck her like a well placed punch. She was short and curvy, and her eyes were like obsidian. Her skin was the color of cocoa and her hair was black as midnight. “Welcome.” she spoke. 

Many soldiers were gathered in the room. They all saluted her, raising their fists to their chins and bowing their heads. 

“The army of Haran is currently marching towards our borders. They will be here tomorrow, according to our scout. Please be prepared to fight. They are armed and they are deadly. If you have any questions please talk to the commander, as he will be happy to answer.” She then explained which regiments would go where and how they would attack.

The commander was stationed next to the queen. 

Many people left the room, including Alina and Theon. As the two of them walked back towards the army base, they discussed in worried tones about where they were needed. Theon was in the Archery Regiment 14 and Alina was in the Foot Warrior Regiment 14, which meant they would be on the same section of the battlefield, but Theon would be on the wall and Alina on the ground. 

They reached the base, and Alina put her cloak next to her bed, as well as her sword, but she grabbed her dagger and laid in her bed. The sky outside her window was dark and dotted with bright stars. 

She tried to sleep, but her heart was pounding and her head hurt. After an hour of restlessness, she threw back her covers and got out of bed. Alina grabbed her weapons and armor, and dragged them to Theon’s room. She knocked on the door, and it opened almost immediately. “Couldn’t sleep?” He asked. 

Alina shook her head, “Me neither.” Theon said and wordlessly he let her in. He lit a candle and offered her the bed, laying on his couch. She got into the bed and fell asleep within minutes. 

The next thing she was aware of was a frantic pounding on the door, followed by yelling and feet stomping. Alina was jolted awake, and threw open the door, Theon mere inches behind her. A frazzled soldier stood, clutching his sword and wearing half put on armor. “Wake up! The Haran army is arriving! We were tricked by the scout! Go to your stations and prepare to fight! Hurry, we don’t have much time!” 

Alina immediately snapped awake, but by the time she opened her mouth to respond, the soldier had hurried to the next room. Theon had shoved her armor into her arms, already strapping on his own. She pulled on her chain link under piece, then strapped on the leather chestplate, making sure the straps were as tight as possible. Then she put on her helmet, but left the visor up so she could see better. 

Alina then put on her sword sheath along with her blade, then rushed down the hallway, Theon right behind her. 

The two of them hurried towards their section of the wall. As they stepped outside, soldiers rushed by them, yelling commands, strapping on weapons and armor. Alina and the rest of her regiment exited the city walls, preparing to fight. Many around her had messy hair and sleep lined faces. However, the dawn was approaching, and the glow of their kingdom’s torches and fires outmatched the Haran Army’s. 

The army, oh, the army. There were thousands, and Alina’s kingdom’s army was barely matched up to theirs. Alina risked a glance to the top of the wall and saw Theon there next to a brassier which was lighting up his face, which wore a stern expression. He had his bow in his hands and an arrow loosely poised in it. 

Haran’s army was advancing, and their army was completely stationed. The air was still. It was quiet, save the marching. Once the sun had cleared the horizon, the leader of Haran’s army was only about a quarter of a mile away from Brittlecliff's army. He carried a large pike and wore a helmet with a peacock plume on it. 

A warhorn blew. “Loose!” a commander from Alina’s kingdom yelled. 

Several arrows flew through the air, many of them hitting their marks. Alina saw the archers prepare their escape ladders, rolled up ladders that they nailed to the top of the wall, prepared to drop down at any moment. 

The Haran commander lowered his pike, and the army charged. Alina lifted her sword, adrenaline pumping through her veins. She was on the third line, but those around her moved up, battling enemies. 

She fought, fought as hard as she could. Battle was terrible, but there was some twisted beauty about it, the soft, steady whistle of arrows, the triumphant clangs of the swords. Soon Alina’s sword; Eclipse, was coated in a layer of red blood. Suddenly she saw a warrior wearing no helmet, but had long white-blond hair, slice through some of her regiment. The fighter moved onto an emptier part of the battlefield, really a little bit off it, and was attempting to sneak up onto the wall. 

Alina knew what she had to do. She knew it was dangerous. She knew it would be scary. But she had no choice. Screaming a wordless cry, she ran towards the warrior, prodding him with her sword, trying to slice through his armor. He turned, his eyes livid and fierce, a warrior’s glare. 

Alina met his blade with hers, furiously trying to slice his throat. She was aware of Theon’s form above her, but soon she was only focused on preventing her opponent’s sword from impaling her. 

Suddenly, the warrior’s blade slipped past her defense and stuck it right in her stomach. Alina let out a surprised “Oh!” before crashing to the ground. Her head was underwater. Everything was muted. 

The soldier who’d stabbed her went silently down to the ground, an arrow in his chest. Alina’s eyes blurred. She could hear someone calling her name, but it was like she was hearing from the other side of a tunnel. 

Alina was vaguely aware of Theon grabbing her in his arms, rocking her back and forth. “Theon.” she said weakly. 

Something wet dripped onto her cheek. Theon’s tears. “Alina.” he said softly, kissing her forehead. She tried to smile. 

Trust me.

“Am I going to die?” Alina whispered, fighting to keep her eyes open, forcing the blurriness to go away. 

It will be okay.

“I don’t know.” Theon said, his grip growing tighter. She was looking into his eyes, which were full of tears. He was crying. 

Then promise me something.

“Why are you crying?” Alina asked.

If anything happens,

“I don’t know.” Theon said. 

We will always, 

“I’m bleeding, Theon.” Alina’s voice cracked on his name. A tear ran down her cheek. She pulled her hand away from her stomach, showing how it was covered in her blood. Theon looked at it for a second then met her eyes again. 

Be at each other’s sides. 

The edges of her eyes were going white. “I love you, Alina.” Theon said. 

I’ve lived at your side, 

“I love you too.” Alina mumbled. The blurriness was coming back. 

And I would like to die by your side, 

Theon was silent. He had stopped rocking her back and forth. The battle sounded so far away. Maybe she’d traveled farther to attack the warrior than she had thought. Alina didn’t know. Her thoughts were scrambled. 

If it comes to that. 

“Stay with me.” Alina said, breathe barely passing her lips to form the words. Alina’s eyes were closing. She hardly heard Theon’s next words as she passed between worlds, between life and death. 

“Of course I will. I promised.” 


January 28, 2022 02:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

67 comments

Unknown User
04:56 Apr 29, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Maraika!!! 😎
04:43 May 01, 2022

this is the best piece of imagiery ive ever read and I read a lot so

Reply

Unknown User
04:46 May 01, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Pippin Took
14:49 May 01, 2022

lmaooo

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Pippin Took
14:41 Apr 30, 2022

oh? YES LETS BE FRIENDS 🦀🦀🦀🦀

Reply

Unknown User
19:54 Apr 30, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Pippin Took
20:54 Apr 30, 2022

LMAOOO oh ok cool :) ok love the new name what inspired u to pick it??

Reply

Unknown User
21:51 Apr 30, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Pippin Took
22:59 Apr 30, 2022

lol <3 ooo they're both so cute! it must have been a hard choice. imo i feel like skye suits u better

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
TJ Squared
17:46 Jan 28, 2022

Wow. Really neat story right there. I…I don’t even have words right now. *5 minutes later* Oh yes, this remarkable piece of art. It’s amazingggggg! I felt what the characters felt and wow they felt a lot. The repeating of their promise added a different level to the story, gave me shivers reading it. Super awesome job!!! It’s been quite a while. How have you been?

Reply

Pippin Took
19:20 Jan 29, 2022

thanks :DD *5 minutes later* THANKS!!! ik i just got inspiration out of absolutely nowhere. haha thanks! thanks :)) do you have anything you want me to read? yes it has. i've been pretty good, waiting for my imminent loneliness on valentine's day :P. me and my bf just broke up, working on getting over him. anyways, yeah i've been good! hbu?

Reply

TJ Squared
19:29 Jan 29, 2022

:D Lol Well, I did post one a little bit ago, not unless you want to though. Oof. Oof I hope things get better <3 Been alright :)

Reply

Pippin Took
23:31 Jan 30, 2022

:)) *sunglasses* OFC I WILL *clicks onto story* yep :T thank you <33 that's good! :) anything memorable happen?

Reply

TJ Squared
23:48 Jan 30, 2022

:) Lol >: <333 Well… depends on what you mean by ‘memorable’.

Reply

Pippin Took
21:58 Jan 31, 2022

:) funne C: <33 anything that sticks out?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Pippin Took
23:26 Feb 19, 2022

That's good!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Unknown User
23:50 Feb 14, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Pippin Took
00:50 Feb 15, 2022

there are many ways this could go...and i'm not sure which applies to this situation...XD

Reply

Unknown User
00:56 Feb 15, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Pippin Took
01:29 Feb 15, 2022

lmaoo

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
01:13 Feb 14, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Pippin Took
01:51 Feb 14, 2022

oh! yea...it's been a rough few months...but i do have a flair for drama aww thank you! you have no idea how much i needed to hear that <33 what exactly do you want to hear?

Reply

Unknown User
03:43 Feb 14, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Pippin Took
23:04 Feb 14, 2022

it has been! :)) i am getting better! thank you so much for caring...i could put something more obvious on my gchat status, and only one person would notice...again thank you so much :)) <3

Reply

Unknown User
23:30 Feb 14, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Pippin Took
00:51 Feb 15, 2022

eeee :P eeee :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.