0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Adventure

Freezing. Starving. Tired. The darkness that surrounds me is the one thing scaring me enough to keep me awake. I forced my shivering hand out of my cozy, withdrawn position and banged on the wooden slate above me. This is crazy. They cannot keep me in here. 

Suddenly, there was a loud ringing in my ears. I pulled my knees in tighter and pushed my hands against my head.

‘Kyle?’

‘Ally, don’t worry. I heard what they did. I’m coming.’ I heard his voice. ‘Just stay alive.’

I hate it when that happens. Seven billion people in the world and fate chose to pair me up with him. Probably more like karma, to be honest. We’re both fire-born witches. We’re both connected telepathically. For some unknown reason, it’s only the two of us. And yet, he’s always had it easy. Part of me still hates him. Part of me will always hate him. 

He was lucky enough to be born to a high family in a coven that accepted him. I was brought up in an anti-magic coven. No one even knew about my power until the day I just woke up with it.

I don’t understand what I did. I was quiet. I did everything they told me, even if it hurt me, and now here I am, lying in this ditch, left to die. Jealousy. I know. It’s stupid. I hate him because I’m jealous of him. But somehow, I love him for the exact same reason. Telling myself it’s strange does me no good. Through all the misery, he’s the one that kept me alive.

‘Do you see anything? Any red-eyes?’ His voice interrupted my thoughts. I had almost forgotten about them.

More frightened than ever, I looked around frantically for any sign of the red-eyed monsters that call these dirt tunnels home. Although I’ve never seen the beasts, I’ve heard of terrifying stories of what they do with the magic-borns - and it isn’t pretty. ‘No. Not yet. They’re going to come looking. You know it.’

‘Stop! Stay calm. I’ll be there before you know it.’

A noise came from a far corner of the tunnel. My head jerked towards the direction of the noise immediately. My heart started pounding. This is it. Footsteps approached. ‘Kyle, Hurry please.’

Scratching sounds soon followed, tormenting me. I struggled out of my seated position and onto my knees. I need to be ready to run. Still shivering from the cold, I kept shifting my gaze across all the openings in the tunnel. And then I saw it. A couple of glowing, red dots ahead of me. Frozen in my state, I gasped.

The stench of death and decay made my nose crinkle up. I couldn’t see clearly, but what I saw was enough. As they got closer, I could see the tainted flesh and worn pieces of cloth that hung off their crackling bones. They moved slowly, in jerking movements, as if to scare me further. The sight of these demons disgusted yet frightened me out of my wits.

“Hello, sweetheart.” A screechy, squeaky voice spoke. “What are you doing in a place like this? Not that we’re complaining. We always welcome company.”

One step after the other, I started running towards another tunnel opening. I wasn’t sure where I was heading, but I was certain that anywhere was better than there. I looked back. They were chasing me down. Hunting me.

“You have nowhere to run, my love. You won’t get very far.”

Well, running is better than dying. My legs were giving out because of the cold, but I knew I couldn’t give in. I continued running, choosing arbitrary paths through the tunnels. The problem with running in panic is you never know where you’re going. I’m scared so I keep running. I’m lost so I know no one’s going to find me. And I can’t keep running. I was already starting to cramp up from the cold. But what’s worse is that I was approaching a dead end.

‘Kyle?’

‘I’m almost there.’

‘It’s no use. I don’t know where I am.’ A tear escaped my eye. I turned around, backing away against the end of the passage. I took a deep breath. ‘They’re not going to let you through. And it will be a while before you find me.’

Kyle said, adamantly, ‘I will find you.’ I could almost hear the intensity of his voice. We may only be connected by mind, but I could feel him. ‘Whatever it takes.’

‘There’s no time.’

‘Please don’t leave me.’ Kyle desperately replied. ‘I love -’

His voice cut off. My eyes widened as I felt a slight blush settle on my cheeks. It didn’t take Einstein to know what he was going to say. At least, I hope he said what I thought he was going to say.

It wasn’t long before I was surrounded by demons chasing me. “Don’t worry, little lady. We’ll make it quick.” One of them said, leaning over and sniffing in deeply. They got closer and closer. If anyone’s going to save me, now’s the time.

I felt a cold, slimy touch against my hand. Shuddering, I felt it slide up my arm and near my neck. “Just relax. Fright doesn’t taste as good.” The demon whispered. He was close. I could feel his breath against my face. I don’t want to die like this.

‘Help.’

“Stop!” A strong voice called out. The demon let me go and they cleared a path. A tall demon walked towards me. “Do you idiots not know who she is?”

“Your Grace. I apologize for them.” He said. “It’s only the elders who waiting for the King and Queen to return to their rightful places. We welcome you, your Grace. Let us take you to throne.”

King and Queen? My throne? Confused as ever, I simply stared with horror. “Um, I-I-”

“I understand, your Grace. It’s much to take in. You not have your roots, but leaders will explain all to you when we get back to castle.” He explained. This is absolute nonsense… or a trap. That’s it. This has to be a trap.

“I-I demand to know now.” I hesitantly stated, trying to maintain my composure. Complete silence followed. I could practically hear my heart racing. His glowing red eyes just gazed intensely at me.

He sighed. “Very well,” He paused for a moment. “But you must accompany Tantor after.” Every moment I can stall is a victory for me. I just hope Kyle shows up soon.

“I correct that you are a fire-born?” I remained silent. “Fire-born mages come from hell. Although very few stay.” Hell?! Is he trying to say I’m from hell? I was overcome by panic. 

‘Ally? Are you still with me?’ Kyle’s voice instantly brought some relief.

Tantor continued, “The Elementals destroy the fire-born race. All of them, including our royals - your parents.” I gulped. Is that true? I haven’t met many fire-born people, but I don’t think the Elementals would have anything to do with it. They’re supposed to be just and kind. Getting rid of an entire race of magic. It just doesn’t seem like them.

“There are a few pretending to be fire-born to keep all quiet.” He snorted. “But after the massacre, there were only two true fire-born mages. One is you, your Grace. The other is the King. We find him after you.”

Kyle? Kyle is the only other fire-born I know. His power confirmed it, unlike a few of the others I’ve met. “You and king must reclaim power of the realm and help us get back our old forms before they find out and start more war.” War? Is he talking about the war of the demons? It took place not long after I was born. The more he talks, the more I’m starting to believe him. Am I crazy?

"You and king will bring back light for us and free us from chains. We wait eighteen years for you. You must help us."

“Masters are waiting. They wait for you in hell. We going there now.” He caught my hand, trying to pull me. I met him with an equal force, trying to stay back. I understand I have nowhere to go, but if this is a trap, I -

“Let her go!” Part of the tunnels collapsed, letting the moonlight in. It was Kyle. His eyes enraged, he held out his palms, flames resting against them. He shot out a flame and burned one of the demons alive. With the burning demon's screeching screams echoing in the tunnels, he said, “You. Step away from her.” He looked in my direction, while Tantor retreated. He pointed his flame at another demon.

I looked at him. “Stop.” Kyle looked at me, surprised. 

He slowly walked towards me. “Are you okay? I thought you -” He trailed off, looking elsewhere. The flames from his palms dissipated as he wrapped his arms around me, holding me tight. Looking back at me, he said with urgency, “We have to get out of here.”

“No, I-”

“All hail the king!” Tantor yelled. Kyle turned to them and we both stared. Tantor gently gave a bow and the rest followed, some even getting on their knees.

“King?” Kyle questioned. He was ready to get out of here, but we would’ve never escaped them alive. His power is strong, but I’m not even half as learned as him. With the hundreds of them in our way, there's no way, we'd make it out of here.

Tantor walked to the sidewall and punched hard until a pinkish-red flame sparked, consuming the dirt wall. A portal?

The two of us peered in. A bright flame almost blinded us. But we could now see everything. The skies burned a fiery red and the flames below roared. A brick red castle stood tall in the distance, among a few neighbouring huts. It was like nothing I’ve ever seen before.

Tantor looked at Kyle. “My king.” Then, looking at me, he said, “My queen.” The demons behind him started walking through the portal. “Welcome home.”

I stared frightfully at what was to come. But even with my doubts, I took his hand and walked toward the portal. He hesitated, but followed. “Wait. Ally. What are we doing?” He looked at me, horrified of what I was asking of him. I squeezed his hand, looking at him pleadingly. I looked back into the fiery light.

“I have an insane story to tell you.”

May 07, 2021 23:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.