1 comment

Fantasy Fiction Horror

This story contains sensitive content

Sensitivity Warning: Physical Violence, Gore, Mental Health

Dear Gwrdlwgly 

High Priestess Shandra asked me to write a thank you letter to Your Slimeiness so that I can show a modicum of gratitude for the prize you’ve given me. Thank you for allowing me into your service. Thank you for excising the unnecessary from my life. Thank you for giving me a purpose. When I was brought to your temple I was nothing but you showed me with the culling how much we have to give.

When it began I was scared, terrified, of what would happen, to me, to my wife and son, Angela and Harrison, none of us stopped crying. We didn’t realize what greatness we were being led to, so we despaired.  When we finally reached your alter and High Priestess Shandra brought out her blade I begged and pleaded that she take my life and let them go. When she opened Angela’s throat I squirmed and struggled against the bindings calling for the false lord to smite the High Priestess there and then. As they took Harrison to the alter I foamed at the mouth as my throat burned cursing and calling threats of violence. When they opened his throat my sounds were unintelligible as I became some creature of rage and violence. My bindings finally broke and I slammed myself against the High Priestess throwing her from the dais as I brought the still warm limp forms of my family to my chest. 

And then your bust came to life. It leaked, seeped, your inky dark essence over the steps and before I could make the mistake of attacking your High Priestess you showed me what was coming. You showed me how my family entered your eternal tentacle embrace. How they would power your ascension to our realm and my tears of despair turned to that of joy. How they had such a grand opportunity and how I squandered mine. I will make my failure your gain oh great one for if I am to be used as a stepstool, a distraction, or some other desire I will do it to the best of my ability. I will not fail you Old One.

My thanks,

Bob your Humble Cultist 

Dear Gwrdlwgly 

It’s been three months since the culling. Since my last thank you, but I think it’s time for another. I thought of writing after you blessed me with your unholy magics. To use them alongside the other recently enlightened to enter my old hometown and bring whoever I could to you. I was surprised to find I was the only one of those sent to return, but I returned victorious. Using your magics I showed the unfaithful your greatness and they followed in herds. My brother, my neighbors, everyone who would listen and allow a simple tap to the forehead learned that you are all that matters. Those who refused the enlightenment I brought anyway to allow the High Priestess to send them to your eternal embrace. I didn’t believe fulfilling my duty would be enough but for bringing the hundred sixteen new bloods you granted me the title of Inqusitor.

I wept that night to have been granted such authority within the congregation. And the next morning I jumped to my duties with the fervor of a mouse eating a slice of cheese under the watchful gaze of a cat. I didn’t even consider writing a thank you for the promotion. I was too excited to enact your undying will. I took a group of new cultists that you deemed fit for magic and went to town. Multiple towns. Evacuating a hundred sixteen people each time to our citadel under the mountain. It didn’t take long to run out of room but we continued. We had enough cultists so we moved to mass cullings. I didn’t realize the high Priestess was working against us, trying to slow your arrival until this last batch. She brought me aside as if to give me the next town but instead slammed her sacrificial blade into my gut. I didn’t realize until she laid unmoving on the rough ground what I did, your shimmering inky magic lashing from my fingertips to her dead form.

And instead of getting upset, of striking me down without pulling me to your embrace, your magic flowed from your statue to my robe. You healed my wound and labeled me as High Priest. That is why I thank you. Not only for a second chance at serving you but for raising me further so I might serve even better. We will increase our excursions into the surrounding towns and cities until they all lay in your eternal embrace. Thank you for your trust.

My thanks,

Bob your High Priest

Dear Gwrdlwgly

I know writing this last thank you note is unnecessary considering I speak to you directly, but when I think that this may be my last chance to do so I start shaking. The very thought of being away from your embrace makes me want to break down and run straight for you. That’s not an option anymore I’m afraid. Groups have found our mountain, have found what we’ve done to the surrounding ghost town and have judged us using their own false gods logic. I don’t know who they are, just that they wield magics of similar capacity as you have given me. It was bright and flashy and sent Carl exploding through the main atrium. I retreated to write this letter and then I will lead our forces against them to allow you to consume as many of us as you can before the rest are cut down. And cut down we shall be.

But before despair takes over I will thank you once more for showing me true purpose in my simple world. I will thank you for trusting me to gather enough new blood to raise you to our plane. And I will apologize for failing you. I know you are close to reaching past the fabric of reality into our dimension but I am unsure if it is enough. I hope and plead that the cultists under the mountain will be what tips the scales. I will do my part in bringing enough so that our work here was not in vain. I will return to the battle and every kill I secure with your power I will send their soul along the web of magic to fuel your ascension as will I send my own when I find I can do no more. No matter what happens though, thank you.

My thanks, 

Bob, Yours as you please

August 02, 2024 07:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Cameron Navarre
05:18 Aug 08, 2024

Dark and intriguing! I liked the line “…the fervor of a mouse eating a slice of cheese under the watchful gaze of a cat.”

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.