0 comments

Black Fiction Horror

The autumn leaves painted the ground an auburn orange with a dash of red as the crunch beneath my fur platforms amplified nature. My entrance into the yard was welcoming as the howling wind greeted me into the premises of my childhood home. The only house on the block that screamed Halloween with decorations. Rotten pumpkins were scattered throughout the yard with a trail of lollipops leading towards the front porch. A sudden wave of nostalgia struck me with floods of memories and deep emotions surfacing within as I stiffened in awe. I froze in my tracks, gaping at the sight before me. 


The swaying leaves danced in formation, casting off in a swirl like a tornado. As a clairvoyant, it was vital for me to recognize my gifts at an early age. I yearned for a temporary relief from reality, but it would be selfish of me to ignore the calling. I knew something or someone wanted to send me a message. Gradually, I disengaged from reality as the wind kissed my skin and stirred my emotions in a powerful song; transporting me towards the shed located in the backyard. The used to be white paint that covers the outside was chipped as if it was specially marked with daggers. The aura of the neglected shed cried in agony and in response, I cried internally because something sinister rested inside. I clutched my gold, nameplate necklace embedded in my name, "Ede" in bold lettering before gliding closer to the boarded up door. 


"Ede?" A soft, yet gentle voice spoke. I spun on my heels and smiled at my sister, Astoria. Her small frame stood on the top steps of the patio as her smile matched mine. The jubilant energy that radiated from her was powerful enough to turn dark into light. I idolized her because she possessed a talent for healing with just her presence.


"When did you get here? Give me a hug." She beamed in excitement, opening her arms to be embraced.


Smiling, I sauntered towards the stairs, ascending them slowly. The steps leading to the patio was wet as I gently hugged my sister. She smelled of daisy and black violet.


"You smell delicious." 


Astoria did a twirl, "I hope I look delicious," she smoothed the forming crease in her blouse as she grabbed my hand, "I invited Valor."


"I thought the two of you broke it off?" I asked, reading my sister. Last month, she could have been a married woman but she got cold feet a few weeks before the wedding. I felt bad for Valor.

"That doesn't matter, Ede, what matters is that I look good." She took a few steps back, allowing me to get a full view of her outfit. Her colors were bright, but her curves accentuated the outfit.

"It looks like you're a walking banana that was attacked by a pink strawberry," I said, taking hold of her hand, "but, a very sexy banana."


She smiled condescendingly, "I'll take that."


We walked inside of the house, the aroma of seasoned food and goodies invading my nostrils. The inside was the same as it was a decade ago but with more life. 


"Guess who's here!" Astoria hailed, firmly gripping my hand as we walked into the dining room. The table was loitered with full-course meals, dishes of food, and potions. I examined the faces of my sisters and their company. I was the only one without a date on our annual Halloween brewing. Niram, my boyfriend said that he'll be here soon but first impressions meant a lot to my sisters. It wasn't a good look for Niram to arrive here after me but their guests looked satisfied, and that alone confirmed the food was delicious. 


"You look so beautiful." Potchi, our eldest sister complimented.

Everyone simultaneously stood to their feet to greet me. I felt loved, and missed. I no longer felt shadow less and it felt warming to be in the presence of my sisters.


"We missed you," Isla, the youngest out of the four of us, spoke, "I can't wait."


"Can't wait for what?" 


"You'll see, sit." Potchi nodded.


There were eight chairs at the table, one would be empty until Niram decides to show his face. I expressed to him how nice my sisters are despite their mean girl, selfie faces in the pictures.


"Where is your guest, Ede?" Potchi asked, glaring at me with her intimidating eyes. She has always shook me with her daring glare. It was as if she could read you like an open book and doesn't hesitate to call you out.


Shifting my left leg onto my right, I deeply exhaled, "He'll be here."

The room filled in deafening silence, giving the floor to Potchi.


"Do we have to eat with out him? You know what happens when we eat without the intended guest. Is that what you want?" She spoke with such authority that I almost forgot she was my sister and not the chief in command.


I scoffed under my breath before pulling my phone out of my cross body bag, "he should be close, Potchi, relax."


"Relax? Ede, maybe you should stop relaxing and once you do, you'll have this—" Potchi briefly paused to gather her words, "loser in check." She said loser with great emphasis and I chuckled.


"You don't know him," I scrutinized, "not everyone is as perfect as you are."


Potchi laughed in disbelief, "excuse me?"


"Stop it! Potchi, we get it. Let's just eat." Astoria intervened. I was relieved that she did.


"I'm with Ria because this pumpkin pie has been calling my name." Isla agreed, aiming to lighten the tension.


"You can't touch that pie until after your food is gone. It's for dessert." Potchi stated in such a rude tone it made me cringe. It's as though each year that passes and we elevate within our brewing, Potchi becomes more dictatorial.


Isla chuckled under her breath, "okay, mom."


After we chanted the siren song, Potchi allowed us to eat. I didn't have an appetite to eat as delicious as the food looked, I wanted to enjoy it with Niram and my sisters. As they chatted amongst each other, I texted Niram.


Me: Where are you? | 6:45 PM


I impatiently waited for those three dots to appear to let me know he was typing, but it didn't. It was out of character for Niram to pull something like this. I was driving myself crazy trying to decode his actions.


"Ede, tell Valor about the trip we took to state." Astoria insisted, laughing as if she had just told a joke. I wasn't in the mood to feed into their bull sessions, I excused myself from the table. I exited the dining room and entered the adjacent kitchen. An explanation from Niram was needed, and I was going to get it. Frankly, I was embarrassed.


With my phone in my palm, I clicked Niram's contact and listened as the phone rang. To my dismay, the call went to voicemail. My insides were fuming with regret as I called again. After three rings, Niram answered the phone in a groggy voice as if he was awakened from a deep slumber.


"Where are you? I told my sisters you would come, please don't embarrass me, Niram."


"What are you talking about, Ede? They found your sisters?" His voice went from sleepy to worried as I processed his questions.


"What?" I asked, surveying the dining room.


"They found your sisters? They're alive?" He practically yelled through the phone causing my knees to buckle. I loosened the grip on my phone and listened as it shattered into a million pieces.


The world around me succumbed to silence. I blinked in turmoil with each blink displaying swift movements of silhouette's into the kitchen. In slow motion, my sisters appeared in front of me.


"I've been waiting for you to join us," Isla's eyes were ominously black as she reached her hand out to me, "it's time."


"Follow us." 


I followed my sisters into the backyard, inside of the now open shed. The door slammed behind me and welcomed a dark, four-walled room with a flickering lightbulb hovering above a pile of decomposing bodies. My sisters were rotting away. Astoria's body was planted atop Isla. Potchi's body was in a chair with a gun in her hand. She had a smile plastered on her face. Behind her was their dates. I was too late. 

October 30, 2020 16:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.