0 comments

Drama Mystery Thriller

(Trigger warnings- Abuse, death-yelling)


The snow rained down as the winters rolled by covering the forest floor, between the rows of trees and bushes showed a red wood two story cabin, lights shinning from the glass windows. Though..if you took a closer walk you could hear the yelling of figures inside, a woman and man cursing each other for a crime, their dog however rested outside in a wide dog house, the husky curled up tightly hiding it's muzzle within its tail and paws. It didn't want this life not at all! Listening to the shouting and screams of it's owners was heartbreaking to it, lifting it's head to a whistle and barked making it's way outside. The woman smiled with tear stained cheeks as the dog ran over into her arms looking at the man who glared at them inside, he clearly wasn't down with the battle as the woman took the dog to the bedroom while the man started the argument again with a roar of anger towards her but she hurried on her way and slammed the door once her and the canine were inside.


The dog whined as it watched the woman shulk on the bed and hug her knees starting to cry, crawling up and laid besides her resting it's head on her arm in concern with a whimper. The woman began repeating sorry after sorry shaking before gently moving the dog and headed to the closet grabbing a jacket and boots with a silver leash, attaching it to the dogs collar and headed outside not seeing the man. She smiled walking through the snow with the one companion she loved, ruffling it's fur. She knew of the dangers as they ventured deeper into the woods away from the cabin humming a calm tone. A roar echoed in the distance making the two freeze but the woman continued as the dog followed barking at her to stop and wait but she didn't, the two stopped as a bear was seen a few feet away looking at the dog with a roar and hunger in it's eyes.


She backed away pulling at the leash for the dog to follow as a truck pulled up, the man inside begging and telling her to get in. She tried grabbing the dog but was pulled into the truck pounding at the door to call for her friend as the dog stared in fear lowering to the ground. The man kicked the gas petal and the truck drove off back to the nearby city, the dog barked trying to chase after before getting pinned by the massive bear above it whimpering and biting at it to get free. The bear roared and slammed it's paw down as things went black..


"My dear friend..wake up Champ.."

The dog whined barley standing as it awoke in a clear field barking for the woman. Instead a tall man with amber red hair walked over wearing a green toned robe and glasses kneeling down to it "Welcome champ..I believe you deserve better life my friend, I have been granted to give you another chance, use it well.." The man whispered pressing a hand to the dogs head as everything turned black again.


"Alex!" A woman yelled as sunlight shinned from outside. A young boy at the age of 14 yawned sitting up in his bed looking panicked, where was he!? and who was Alex? He groaned getting up with a stumble. He felt so cold for a odd reason as he walked over to the large mirror...hands and legs, no paws or pointed ears? not even a tail, scanning around the room he grabbed a torn and worn out dog collar with the name Champ on it.....This was his new life from what the man had said to him, a kid named Alex with silver and black hair and blue eyes instead of the blue and yellow ones he had when he was a dog back at the cabin..Thinking back to the woman, his previous owner, only question he had that would maybe never be answered was..


Where was his best friend?...was she ok? He pondered and walked downstairs after putting on a green hoodie, red beanie and some black pants and made his way downstairs looking at his new family, a lady with blonde hair and a man with grey silver fox hair sat at the table sharing a breakfast, no fighting like his owners had done. Both were smiling and laughing as Champ now as Alex sat down and joined them starting a small conversation. "Ready for school bud?" The man asked nudging his shoulder as Alex hesitantly nodded all of this was uneasy to him as he grabbed what he needed and left, following some kids his age to the building. Staring up at it before something hit his arm and turned to see a missing poster for a husky...named Champ..she was looking for him! He smiled and ran ignoring the yells of some kids as they grew quite in the distance he was making.


He stopped looking at the crowds on the busy streets..he couldn't go back no matter if he really wanted to..he was a human no longer the companion she had once knew. Alex sighed plopping down on a bench and held his head, people passing by the young boy as some whispered in curiosity if he was a run away or just a troublemaker from home.


"Champ" He lifted his head as his eyes widened to see the male from before..the one who gave him his new life, "Who are you?" Alex asked shaking as the male pulled him to his feet looking like a 16 year old boy with braided amber red hair and glasses "My name is Souler but down here call me Jasper..I'm here to help guide you through the new life you are living for now" Souler smiled taking him by the hand and began walking through the crowd of people. Alex held his bag close to him looking around, he could hear the woman's cries echo in his head with the roaring of the bear mixed in, would she have had a new life if she was attacked and not him?

Souler began explaining some things around them as Alex listened in stopping by a trashcan and looked at the other pulling out the old dog collar and ran a finger over the metal name tag as tears began falling down ,he then tossed it in and ran after the male walking besides him muttering with a hesitant smile.


Goodbye old Champ..Hello Alex Woodark. May your paws walk on ice and calm flowers and howl at the moon at days end.

November 05, 2021 13:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.