An Elf's Attempts to Propose

Written in response to: Write about a successful marriage proposal, or one that goes horribly wrong.... view prompt

0 comments

Romance Fantasy Adventure

WRITER'S NOTE: This is a retrospective to one of my characters, Arkcon Tride, through his eyes in Chapter 15 and part of Chapter 19 to "The Fisher-Orc and His Voyage" as he attempts to propose to his girlfriend: Maren Maylee. 

MY 1ST TWO ATTEMPTS:

'Alright, it's now just the two of us. No time like the present,' I said to this to myself as both Maren and I were in the crow’s nest looking out for any land of the sort.

Maren and I, as well as the rest of our Warriors ensemble have been sailing for a good hour now. Nothing but the great sea surrounded them, not a land in sight. 

While we didn’t find anything, the two of us enjoyed one’s company while admiring the seascape nevertheless. 

“How far do you think the Betrixtian Islands are?” asked my dear girlfriend curiously. 

I replied thoughtfully: “I don’t know, my love. Could take us a full day or so. I’m not entirely sure.”

“I can’t wait to see more of the world! There’s so much to explore,” said Maren excitedly.

Above-said, I just simply smiled and replied: “I know and I’m happy you are here with me as we explore the world together.” 

“Awww sweetie,” said my love as her face turned red. “You’re making me blush. You always know what to say. I love you, Arkcon.” 

I of course responded with a kiss on her forehead, then replied afterward: “I love you too Maren.” We next exchanged a kiss and hugged for a good while. 

However after our warm embrace, I was feeling completely nervous. I have been meaning to ask Maren to marry me for quite some time now, yet I hadn't gotten the courage to ask her. Sure, having to be sneaking around and saving the world from monsters is one thing, but having to get down on one knee was something else entirely. It was nerve wracking for goodness sake!

I, of course, asked M’ven for his daughter’s hand to receive a blessing. And since then, M’ven has been asking if I still tends to pop the question any time soon. The reason it took this long is that I was finding ways to earn money throughout the village so I could afford a ring. Just the other day, I got enough gold and finally purchased the ring after saving up the money that I've gathered up, which took me several months to do by the way.

Just when I was about to go down to one knee right there and then, my girl suggested something: “We shall give Sage a sibling.” 

“Haha yeah, I agree,” I replied as I quickly went back to my standing position. 

My Princess of All Fairies then suggests: “We should see if the other countries are adopting. We can have a second adopted child.” 

“And if that doesn’t work, we can always make one,” I said as I took her hand. 

She stood there, looking puzzled. My beautiful girlfriend then goes: “What?” 

I responded with a slight smile: “If somehow we can’t adopt, I’m okay having to make a baby with you, Maren.” 

My beloved Maren at first was taken aback, but then she smiled and replied: “Awww Arkie. That’s so sweet. I’m glad you said that because I was thinking the same way.” 

“No problem, my Mar. I knew Sage has been asking for a sibling this past month. What better way to surprise her with one after our journey is over.” 

“I 100% agree with you. She will be joyous to know that she’s going to be a big sister.”

“Yeah,” I agreed as I then continued on by saying: “I know that she’ll be a good one as well.” 

Maren even agreed by saying: “Indeed. I believe very much so. I just hope people are not as cruel as when I met Sage a couple years back when we saved Ruth.” 

I reassured her by replying: “I’m sure things are different over there than it was back with Rissindell.” 

We then settle on getting a child either from adoption or birth. The two of us were awfully excited. We couldn’t wait to see what Sage’s face would be once we've tell her she’s gonna be a big sister. I then let go of Maren and just when I was about to ask the big question again, I get interrupted by Terrance, my ideal best man.

The Knightly King politely calls out from below: “Are there any sightings, Arkcon and Maren?” 

Maren looks down as she replies back: “No Terrance. Not yet, my dear friend.” 

Terrance was still behind the helm and right beside him was Sonas. The two were catching up as Lemmy took a nap on a chair, while Orsimin (our fisher-orc and dear friend) was looking out towards the sea. 

“I can use a nap right now myself after seeing Lemmy there,” says Maren as she then yawns with a hand over her mouth while doing so. 'How did I become to lucky?' I asked this to myself while admiring her beauty. Maren continues after her polite and cute yawn: “I’m going to head down there in our cabin for a quick snooze.”

I felt a little disappointed but I didn't want to hold my girlfriend and deprive her of sleep so I instead replied: “Okay love. I’ll be up here until I’ve got something.” 

“Alright, my dear. See you later.” 

My Maren climbs down from the crow’s nest and among the main mast. Once Maren was on deck, she headed towards the cabins as Sonas and Terrance waved to her while she did the same. I was watching this all from above. Once I saw that Maren walked into the hallway, I looked back up to the sea. Not a land in sight still, just white clouds to fill up the sky.

'Tomorrow for sure, I'll attempt it again,' I said thinking this all to myself as I watch the seascape alone up there.

MY THIRD ATTEMPT:

The next following morning after we arrived at the first island, everyone was still asleep. Everyone except Maren and I, both of us shared the same bed after all. 

“You’re awake, Arkie?” asked my precious Maren. 

I replied jokingly asking: “Yes, are you, Mars? 

“Yeah obviously, silly willy. How would I be awake with me talking to you?” she said as she lightly nudge me. “You wanna take a morning stroll on the beach this lovely morning?” 

“Sure, let’s go!” I said as I quickly took the sheet off of myself.

The two of us then got out of bed, dressed into their attire, and went out of the inn to a beautiful dawn. We held each other by the arms and walked down the slope towards the beach. Once there, we held our hands as the two of us admired the beach and sunrise. 

“It’s so gorgeous out here,” my lover said as she smiled there. 

“It most certainly is especially with you by my side,” I replied as I too smiled. 

Her entire face went bruising red. “Thank you, my dear. I love you so much.” 

“And I love you with all of my heart,” I said as my heart was currently beating fast yet again. 

I thought about proposing to her again especially with how romantic it was getting. Just gonna try to find the courage to do so but I keep on second guessing it. 'Maybe once we are down to where our feet touch the water, then I’ll ask,' I said thinking to himself mentally of course.

“I wish we could be on this beach forever,” said Maren as her face had a smile that grew huger.

“You and me both, my love. Say you wanna get our toes wet?” I asked. 

Maren agrees as she heads towards the ocean: “Sure, let’s go near the water.”

We walked towards the water and took off our footwear, eventually feeling our toes getting wet. It felt good when doing so because it was warm that morning, not going to lie. 

I look straight into Maren looking deep into her eyes instead of the ocean in front of us. 

Maren notices this and asks: “Is everything okay, Arkie my dear?” 

“Yes, sweetheart,” I replied reassuring her as I rubbed my hands against her arms. 

Just as soon as I was going to get down on one knee and ask my important question, I got interrupted yet again. This time by Lemmy for he had called us out while standing there at the bottom of the slope. 

The dwarf asks them while shouting: “Hey, do you two want any breakfast!?” 

Maren replied shouting back: “Yes, we shall be right there.” 

I shrugged it off and nodded. “Let’s get back to our friends,” I smiled as Maren and I started walking back to the inn where our friends and breakfast were calling our names. 

Of course my thoughts came to me in an instant: 'If not today, then surely I can propose tomorrow or the next day after that. Just gonna time it right. It has be perfect just as Maren herself is...'

February 10, 2024 23:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.