0 comments

Science Fiction



It wasn't a bunch of different disparate parts like the alien ships in a science-fiction movie. Agent Durer could see why writers and artists would think that it would be. He could also see the International Space Station, with its inelegant fans of solar panels jutting out to either side like wings on a bird that just kept flapping without ever getting off of the ground.  That was the pinnacle of human technology and space exploration for now, and considering current events, always would be. But presuming it was the best another sentience race could manage before they came to visit was a self-absorbed prediction. It'd be like predicting humans would never move beyond the velocipede. 

It was one massive form. The lines went smoothly from one edge hundreds of miles to its back edge, without a single crease, ridge, or visible seam. The bottom was almost the same. At several intervals it shot shimmering heat into the space around it, expulsions from it that were bigger than Mount Kilimanjaro and would seer the flesh from any living thing that came within miles of the plume.  It was one slick, geometric shape, just asymmetrical enough to be interesting. Of course, some futurists had predicted sleek alien ships, but they'd always assumed the ships would be Apple white. That was also self-centered. This was a show of power. Like any show of power, it had to be red.

 A deep cherry cough syrup colored Mothership orbited Earth, its occupants initiating  the invasion now. The takeover had begun. That's why they'd dropped the stealth field; they didn't need to hide when they were finally ready to enslave. 

A lighted beam scanned the haze of satellites that cluttered the Earth. Agent Durer held his breath, like hiding from a tiger thousands of years ago instead of on a stealthed lifeboat leaving Earth. The light faded. The invaders didn't move. 

His ship did, though. He inched nearer to the ungainly International Space Station. Just one little pick-up before they left this solar system entirely, surrendering it to the Lacerati. A couple of astronauts and cosmonauts to add to their collection. He hoped none of them were opposed to having kids. They'd need the genetic diversity on their arc leaving Earth. 

A hand landed on his shoulder. He turned to see his partner. 

"We're only a few minutes from the ISS." Agent Durer stammered out to the person who'd intruded upon his thoughts.

"Seems needlessly dangerous, making a pit-stop during our evacuation just to pick up a handful of people." Agent Kiefer let his hand slip off of the other's shoulder. He tapped the ever-growing station on the screen as they approached. 

"It's the least we can do. I hate running away like this."He couldn't tear his eyes from the marble hovering far below him. He couldn't look away from its gleaming blue seas, the strands of white clouds, the purple ridges of its mountains. He'd spent his whole life in cars and behind screens and never once went hiking. So stupid. He had no idea what those mountains he was looking at even smelled like.

"Honestly? We don't have a choice. We're outgunned, outsmarted, and out team-worked." Agent Kiefer admitted.

It was true. On that planet there were hundreds of countries. It didn't look like it up here though. Just one group. Just Earthlings, all plotting and scheming and not knowing in a moment all their lifelong machination would be rendered null. So many petty wars waged.

At least now there would be world peace. 

Agent Durer rubbed his temples. 

 "Did you end up bringing your wife?"

"Yeah," Agent Kiefer murmured.

"Even with the divorce in progress?"

"The kids need her. She's not a bad mom.." Agent Kiefer gestured with loose arms at the ship around them, which hummed with artificial energy. "Most of the survivors are people like us, you know, career driven.. Not that that's bad, but..."

"But?"

"But we need people who get really excited about decorating for teddy bear themed birthday parties too, especially ones who can do it with limited resources. My wife is a genius with construction paper." Agent Kiefer turned his back to the window. "I spent our whole relationship trying to get her to be more sensible like me, but, I don't know, maybe we need everybody. Like the ecosystem needs bees, even though I'm allergic to them. Me and her and the kids and everyone else. There's a person who worked at the food court at that cafe near HQ who made the perfect cookies. I don't like most cookies, but she somehow balances it just right." He smiled, recalling, before the smile plummeted into his shoes. "She's gonna die."

"We couldn't take everyone though, so... it's nice you brought your wife and kids. I brought my nephew."

Agent Kiefer regarded him with surprise.

"His parents must be freaking out right now. He must be freaking out."

Agent Durer shrugged.

"I only got a plus one since I'm not married. My parents are old and my brother has diabetes, he'd be a waste of a slot. But my nephew has potential. He's only 3; he'll adapt."

"Did you leave a video?"

"Yeah. I'm sure they dismissed my proclamations of the end of the world as insanity and sent the police after me all the same, though. I wish I could have asked but even if I showed them all the cool sci-fi shit they'd never let me take their kid and leave them to die."

"When they see it all ending, they'll thank you. They will."

"Maybe."

The Agents went quiet as two long darts launched from the Laceratii invasion ship. An outer shell burned away as it flew through the atmosphere. When it got into the clouds, it burst open. The sunlight danced along the millions of tons of spores the Lacerati seeded the clouds with. 

"I almost signed up to stay behind." Agent Durer admitted. "There's a bunch of teams that stayed behind to fight."

"It's better you didn't, you'd be like those Japanese Holdouts.  Onoda or whatever. The war is lost."

"Dating was hard before." Agent Durer mused. "Now it'll be different. With us all locked up together, everyone knowing everyone."

"Hey if you want my wife you can take her." Agent Kiefer rolled his eyes. "Maybe you'll have better luck."

Agent Durer chuckled awkwardly. Saying stuff like that is probably what led to all the marital trouble in the first place. The ISS filled the entire screen now. He shut down the digital display linked to the camera that acted like a window (actual windows were far too risky). 

"Let's go pick up our people, then get out of this forsaken solar system." 



May 01, 2020 14:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.