The library

Submitted into Contest #91 in response to: Set your story in a library, after hours.... view prompt

0 comments

Romance High School

The library was a wonderful place. In fact, this certain library was quite exceptional.

It was the type of library that could quiet even the loudest trouble makers. An unsaid hush fell in the air like a weightless blanket and dust hung in the light seemingly unmoving. It was as if you could frame this library in a photo frame and no one would notice any movement. Not only that, but the windows that stretched almost the entire wall let in the brilliant colors of a setting sun, orange and red and purple casting a glow on the surfaces of the shelves and tables, casting long shadows behind them. It was truly beautiful, he thought.

The library had long been locked up but it seemed it was still occupied. A boy had hid in the closet and waited for everyone to leave the school building before coming out of his hiding place.

This feeling of having this place all to himself, he relished in it. Something so grand and he was the only one there. The musty smell of old books comforted him.

He was just about to start on his business there when he heard a bang from behind him. The bang was followed by struggling and somebody making random noises in response.

Suddenly, a drawer from behind him opened up and a girl sat up.

He stared in shock, having been caught before his business had even begun! And by this fragile looking girl no less!

She turned to him, looking him up and down while still rubbing the growing bump on her head.

"Hi there. What are you doing here?" She gave him a smile waltzing up to him like nothing was wrong. He tried his best to keep his composure.

"I-I should be asking you that question." He was quite bewildered, not sure what to say. He had never seen this girl before. She was wearing their uniform, so she definitely went to the same school as him, but he could not recognize her face.

She posed like she was thinking, and said, "Hm, well this is my hang out spot. So you have to go." She giggled and started pushing him to the door.

"Oh wait wait wait!" He backs away and gains distance between them. "I have business here. I'll be quick so let me stay for a bit." He wasn't sure why he had to plead with this strange girl, but was already sick of her and wanted her off his back. It's not like she owned the library.

"Hmmm..." She seemed to stop working for a second, staring at the ground unblinkingly.

There was a moment of silence and confusion, where she stared at the ground and he stared at her, wondering why she had stopped talking. With a confused look on his face, he scooched around her quietly to get to his business. What is his business you ask? It's-

"Oi! Where are you going? We haven't finished talking!" His escape was unsuccessful as the girl suddenly stopped malfunctioning and ran after him as he was about to hide behind a bookshelf. He grimaced and made a run for it.

A heart racing and exciting chase occured after that. In figure eights, around in a circle, hopping over tables and throwing chairs to try and capture/escape from the enemy. With bated breath, she quickly tired out and put her hands on her knees, her blonde hair falling over her face.

The boy, on the hand, hadn't even broken a sweat, and was standing in triumph, imaginary sparkles twinkling around him that for some reason she could tell were there.

"How...," she stood up straight and looked up at the ceiling, her hands flopping down at her sides. She was still out of breath. "how are you so fast?"

"Hehe, I'm the fastest person on my track team. You could never catch me even if your life depended on it.” It was true. He had recently won states for his team, and was quite famous around the school for being super fast. He liked to think everyone knew who he was, and was a bit disappointed that this girl didn’t. He decided he couldn’t let her first impression of him be so pathetic, and didn’t show any emotion except pride in himself.

“Ah, I see. What’s your name by the way?” She had finally caught her breath and stretched out her hand to him for a greeting.

“I’m Thomas. How about you?” He would be lying if he said he wasn’t curious as to who this girl was and where she came from.

“Lindsey.” Now that they at least knew each other’s names, they settled down. “What business did you say you had again?”

Thomas had already turned away and was looking through the bookshelves. “I’m looking for a certain book that belongs to me.” 

“A book that belongs to you? Why would that be in the library?”

“Ha! It’s quite a complicated situation. Not sure if it’s worth telling a stranger.” He looked over his shoulder at her, finding that she had crept up just behind him.

“A stranger with a name.” She said with a wink. “I’ll think twice about kicking you out right now if you tell me.”

“Alright Lindsey, you couldn’t even touch me just now. Why would I ever listen to you?”

“Because I’m living here, so I get the right to decide who comes in and out.” 

“You… you live here?”

“For the time being, yes.”

Why? How, for that matter as well. Does the school know about this?”

“Hmmm…” She put a finger on her chin and twirled around a couple times, stopping with a mischievous smile on her face. “I’ll tell you if you tell me why your book is in the library.”

Thomas frowned in dismay, displeased with how energetic his new acquaintance was. He just wanted to grab his book and leave, but it seemed that wasn’t going to happen so easily. Not without a struggle, at least. He sighed loudly, drawing it out for dramatic effect. 

“What a drag. Let me find the book first and I’ll think about telling you.” He rolled his eyes and walked away, tracing his fingers along the books lined up in a row. 

Lindsey followed him around the library, checking over his shoulder to see the different books he was examining. The track star didn’t complain, only stared ahead to his goal to get out of there as quickly as possible. This girl was nosy; annoyingly so. Almost like a tick that just won’t come off no matter how hard you tug on it.

After examining all the bookshelves, he sighed and stared at the floor in thought.

“Why don’t you just go to the section where the first letter of his last name starts?” She was breathing down his neck, making him shiver. It was clear she wasn’t aware of how uncomfortable he was with her clinging to her shoulder.

“I don’t know the title or the author.” Thomas stated, sighing heavily again and shaking his head. He was about to do a second round when a suggestion came up.

“Well, why don’t you just look in the newly accepted used book drawer?”

“The what?”

“The newly accepted used book drawer.”

“I heard you, but what is that?”

“It says it in the name. Newly accepted us-”

“Alright that’s enough. I got it. Where is this drawer you speak of?” He was getting earnestly irritated. She just wouldn’t shut up!

“Oh! It’s in the librarian’s desk.”

“The- the what?” He stepped back, baffled by this girl’s strange behavior. “What? What were you doing poking around in the librarian’s desk?” He covered his face with his hands and groaned, falling onto his butt and pulling his knees to his chest. He then relaxed everything and peered over at the girl. She had the most quizzical face he had ever seen.

“You seriously don’t know what’s wrong with that?”

With an even more confused face, she asked, “What’s wrong with what?”

He sighed in anguish, he had never met someone so stupid. What was wrong with this girl?

“Nevermind. I don’t even know why I bother wondering about these things. Just show me the drawer.” 

Oki!” Lindsey skipped around to the desk, grabbing a key from her pocket and raising it to one of the many drawers lining the inside of the desk. Thomas wondered where she had gotten the key and rubbed his eyes, drained of energy from this girl full of energy.

A click was heard, which peaked his interest. Lindsey delicately opened the drawer and it’s contents were…

Hi everyone and Reedsay contest judgers, I’m leaving the story here as it will surpass the word count. Part 2 will be up next week, so stay tuned!

May 01, 2021 02:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.