0 comments

Sad Thriller

The memories flashed through my head as I leaned closer to the rock. Is this really it? I was running as fast as I ran during my last game of football with my family, but this time, I'm not sure if I can make it to the goal. I gripped my gun in one hand, my heart in the other. The loud shots of a Enfield No.2 Mk.1 Revolver were loud among the soldiers who ran beside me. My vision began to blur from the memories of my friends, family and my happiest and saddest moments. I see my older brother, James, running around with my father closely behind. I then saw my James crying, with me, my father and my mother around her, singing songs to calm her down. It slowly formed on my first day of school, the biggest smile on my face as I entered the gates. Then came my girlfriend, Daphne, dancing in her prom dress, with my hands on her waist and her head on my shoulder. She wore the biggest smile that night. Then, just a few years ago, before I got here, my son was born. My son who goes by the name, George.  

My running slowed when I realised my men were falling one by one. A raced behind a hill ducking at the loud shots. I lifted my head slightly, my gaze crossing from one side to the other, watching them all fall, and bleed out. My heart raced. 

Then I remembered everything. I remembered what happened to my family.Alex screamed at the sight before him. Blood slowly fell to her feet as his mother cried in pain. The strange man had a psychotic smile as he let his arm hang, the gun falling on the floor. He cried, running as far away as possible. He stopped at his brother's door, James, and began knocking histerically. He cried and screamed, begging his brother to open the door. James yelled back in response, opening the door, and dragging his brother into the room. Alex cried, looking up at his older brother with silent sobs. James pulled Alex into the walk-in closet, putting a finger to his lips, signaling for him to be quiet. Alex put a hand over his mouth as strong, heavy footsteps stopped outside the door, the shadow of the man standing outside the door. They could see his big leather boots. 

James pushed Alex into the narrow, tall cabinet he had full of smelly clothes that hadn't been washed in god knows how long. The door closed behind him as James stood outside. Alex put his ear to the door and listened. He heard a loud scream and a yell as the wardrobe door opened. He heard the big leather boots stomp its way closer. 

Alex creeped open the door and, with wide eyes, stared at the older boy on the floor. James was squirming as he screamed, “DAD!” His voice echoed through the house. Alex heard the loud footsteps of his father running up the stairs. He was too late. He stared out, horrified at the sight of his brother lying on the floor, blood sinking into the cream carpet as the man withdrew the knife from his brother's chest. Once his father came into view his heart dropped. ‘No,’ he thought, ‘not him too!’ tears streamed down his face as he watched the two men stare at each other.

His father's balck hair fell down to his shoulders, his eyes red from tears and rage. His father yelled at the top of his lungs and jumped at the other man, knocking them both off their feet. His father punched the man in the face repeatedly, the other man bleeding from the impact. The man soon fell unconscious. Alex cried and fell out of the cabinet, into his father’s view. His father sighed in relief as he grabbed his son's hand and pulled him in for a hug.

“Are you alright, son?” Alex didn't respond. He didn't need to. He couldn't take his eyes off his dead brother that lay there, staring at the ceiling with wide eyes. Alex then started to feel dizzy. His vision spun around the room and soon enough everything went black. 

I leaned up on my knees, shooting aimlessly at the people ahead. I stood to find better aim, regretting my decision almost instantly as pain burned through my body. Blood dragged out of my stomach as I fell to my knees. I reached into my pocket and took out my wallet, pulling out three photographs. My family, my wife and my son. My son. The boy I’m never going to see again. My vision blurred with tears, burning my cheeks as they fell. Then, something hit me, a memory. My father once told me when I got beat up at school. He told me to “suck it up. You know boys don't cry”. Now I realise that boys don’t cry, but real men do. The thought that I will never be able to see my family again, never go home again, made me feel sick. 

As I cried, I allowed death to consume me, taking in the pain, and allowing the tears to fall. A smile crept on my face as I mumbled my last words. “Never forget me.” Then everything went black. 

It felt like hours since I had blacked out. It could have been minutes or even seconds. I awoke in a dark alley. I stood up and began to walk. I have to find out where I am. 

As I strolled towards the desolate light toward the finish of the puzzling rear entryway, I froze. Gazing at the bizarre, anxious man then remained against the divider shrouded in deserted workmanship. I could hear his unstable breath from the spot I stood. I looked around for some other way out. Behind me appeared to have evaporated in the haziness. My look dropped down to my hands, watching them shake with stress. My breath hitched in the virus air, watching the scary man gradually however unwelcoming look land on me. I froze on the spot.

Somewhere out there, the light started to blur. Frenzy rose in my veins, my reality turning. A forlorn voice repeated around me. Shouting. Calling for me. Up ahead, there was a tall figure that remained in the light. The dull man stood gladly.  My look deflected to the man I saw previously. His area had moved. He currently remained in the haziness, huge scaring horns offsetting on his head with broken wings held tight his back. He looked practically broken. Sparkling in front of me, the light reflected off the horns of the man behind me, making the rear entryway nearly gleam. The brilliant light was overpowering, consuming my eyes as I gazed longer. The light gradually started to assume control over the obscurity. The unwelcoming sound of alarms consumed my ears. I started to push ahead. With each progression, I felt like every little thing about me was being pulled away by a solid force.Hurrying towards the light, the unwanted rear entryway started to shape into something new. Something warm.

I started to run, feeling a power hauling me back. I need to see the light. Obscurity choked me, stress flooding through my body. At that point, I see nothing. Everything had gone dark. The sound of frightened individuals, crying, crying, specialists. I constrained my eyes open, to be welcomed by a crying lady sobbing over me. I hauled myself up, looking at her without flinching. Mother. I was uncertain of what befallen me. My brain just moved back to the rear entryway. The bizarre me. What had the light held? I opened my mouth to talk, a choked murmur got away, all things being equal. Mother seized me, maneuvering me into her arms. I felt terrified and my throat hurt. I lifted my hand to my throat. Gauzes. What happened to me?

June 15, 2021 11:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.