7 comments

Christmas Holiday Romance

Attention: This story is completely fictional. I tried to make it seem like one of those super cheesy Christmas movies. I watch them every year with my family. My favorite is the Princess Switch. Tell me yours in the comments below. I'd love to check it out. Also, just to fill in some of the words, if you want to for fun. You can answer some of the questions I put at the end of my story.


I looked through my list again and again. Are you kidding me?! I couldn't believe I had forgotten the ginger for the gingerbread.


My name is Beverly Riddle. I have black hair and green eyes. I am the proud baker and owner of Riddle Bakery and Sweet Shop. This year my bakery is entering the annual holiday baking competition against my rival, Hillsburg Sweet Shoppe.


The competition consists of three challenges. The first round is cookies, The second round is something popular in your bakery. Then the final round is a gingerbread house or cake.


I was running back to my house when my mind wandered. I wanted to win the competition, but not for myself. The winner of the competition, gets to decide where their money goes. I want to win that money, so I can donate to the local Bensworth Charity.


I was heading back to the competition after I got the ginger, when I heard a shout. I looked to my left and saw a man slipping on a patch of ice. He was tall, and had brown hair. He looked like he was around my age.


The one thing that stood out to me the most though, was his eyes. They were a light pale blue, but they had a hazy look to them.


"Oh my gosh, are you alright?" I exclaimed, lending him my arm.

He sat there for a second staring off into space. Then it hit me.


"Are you blind?" I asked.

"Was it obvious?"


I grabbed his hand and pulled him up. "Not really," I extended my arm out so we could shake hands, but then I remembered he was blind. "I'm Beverly, Beverly Riddle." I said.


"James, James Hillsburg."


"Wait," I stood there for a second thinking about his name. "You wouldn't happen to own a bakery that's entering the annual baking competition, do you?"


"Yes, my father passed it down to me last year before he died. Why do you ask?" He asked, looking confused, but with a proud smile on his face.


"No reason. I'm sorry to hear about your father. He was a good man." I said. I had met Mr. Hillsburg before he passed away, he was a sweet old man. Although we were rivals, we still helped each other.


"It's alright." He said, brushing off snow. "Hey, I was wondering, have you seen my cane anywhere? I dropped it when I slipped."


It was then that I noticed the cane several feet away.


"Found it!" I exclaimed, running over and grabbing it.

"Thanks."


After that we headed over to the competition.


"Ladies and gentleman, it's time for the final round." The announcer said in his game show voice. "Whoever wins this round will be this years Holiday Baking Champion."


I waited as the timer counted down.


3...


2...


1...


GO!


James started slow, giving me an accidental head start. It was weird because although he was blind, he seemed to be looking straight at me.


I was in the middle of mixing light blue dye into the frosting, when I thought about James' pale blue eyes. I thought about how they sparkled like a thousand stars in the midnight sky.


You like him.


I do.


Then why don't you say something?


No way! He'll think I'm weird. What if he laughs at me?


Do it!


No!


Come on, you know you want to.


No I don't!


Say it!


Alright.



"Wait!" I exclaimed.


The timer stopped, all eyes were on me.


"I forfeit the competition." I announced.


I heard gasps all around me.


James looked confused.


"Why?" He asked.


"I didn't realize it at the time, but love is blind. When I met James, I didn't know anything about him. I never thought I would have a crush on my rival. But the truth is..." I hesitated before going on.


"Rivalries are silly." I turned to James. "So as of today, I quit this silly rivalry and join James, if he will have me."


It was then that he stated the one word that changed my life.


"Yes."


Several years later, James proposed to me, and we got married. It was perfect, my exact way of having my happily ever after.


THE END


What are some fun traditions you do in December?


What is the best gift you have ever received?


What is your idea of a perfect happily ever after?


What is your favorite treat to bake during the winter?


What is your favorite Christmas movie?


What is your favorite reindeer?


What is your favorite Christmas song?


What is your dream date?


If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go?


If you could have a pet reindeer that could fly, what would you name it?


What would you rather have, the ability to fly, or live forever?


Have you been to any other countries or states for the holidays?


If you could wish for anything in the world, what would it be?


If you could mash two Christmas songs together, which ones would you choose?


If you had to fly around the world all in one night, where would you go first?


Do you still consider Pluto a planet?


How old do you think Santa is?


How may elves do you think Santa has?


What do you want for Christmas this year?


How much wood would a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood?


If you could meet any one of the Avengers, who would you want to meet and why?


What's your Hogwarts house?


What's your favorite Disney movie?


What Disney movie would you want to see be made live action?

December 08, 2020 23:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

Sapphire 🌼
15:36 Dec 10, 2020

Aaaah CHEESY OVERLOAD (in a "I feel warm inside" good way). It's kinda cool how James is blind, but the way your described him, I think he would be pretty cute. Yes you perfectly captured the "cheesy-Christmas-movie" vibe, but it was still nice and simple to read! (Since Kathrine did this, I thought I might as well. I'm pretty sure im in Slytherin)

Reply

Beverly Riddle
15:53 Dec 10, 2020

Thanks, :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Beverly Riddle
03:54 Apr 23, 2021

Hey, I was wondering, I'm currently trying to write a chapter book called The Secret Journey. I posted what I have so far on Reedsy recently, so I'm not sure if it will show up right away. But if you can, would you mind reading what I have so far, and giving me feedback, or some tips I can use to make it better?

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
16:33 Apr 23, 2021

Of course!

Reply

Beverly Riddle
04:34 Apr 24, 2021

Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Kate M
00:15 Dec 10, 2020

Hi Beverly! This was such a cute, simple story! It was an easy, relaxing read. Just warmed my heart like hot cocoa on a cold night. Great work! (P.S. My Hogwarts house is ultimately Griffindor, but I could also be in Ravenclaw. So, Griffinclaw? 😂)

Reply

Beverly Riddle
15:53 Dec 10, 2020

Thanks. I'm a Gryffindor to.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.