6 comments

Drama

My small shop was continued in a village near River Jehlum in Pakistan. Closing shop at night ,a jeep very speedily passed in front with dropping a big box. picked it up and kept it safely at home,hoping to return the box when ever it’s owner came. Days passed but nobody came .”Look ,if somebody came and ask for the box ,would you return the box to him”.Mary ,my wife inquired. Why not ,if a genuine master came, return the box to him”. Replied me.But again so many days passed on no body claimed that box”,again she added, lets see what is locked in this box".It’s very heavy box “.I answered. “Should not opened it, it’s depicts dishonesty,we should wait for some more days” suggested me.But I’m afraid is there is some illegal things luring”. Mary imagined “.we should must opened it and see.” Box was opened on her great insistence. Our eyes sparked seeing gold in it.we looked each other. Again closed it. What is this we were not expecting gold in ,now I understand that were the robbers jeep and if we hand this box to the police,they would start a thorough investigation and lastly they would throw us behind the bars"I frighteningly explained to Mary. We should keep silent on it".Mary said. Six months been passed. “ we should now do something about the box “I suggested. “If you go to the town and selling this gold the people would suspect”. Mary thought fully said. “We should go and settled in another city,we would sell our existing property and would settled in some other city”.I suggested. IN few days we sold our property and came to Lahore,a big industrial city of Pakistan.We hired a small house and started selling the gold in different shops. In few months we became millionaire. I bought lands and started a real estate business. Luck shown. Bought a big Bungalow, cars and commenced living a luxurious life. Mary now became very stylish ,wearing branded and planning tours to foreign countries with friends. Fortnight parties were thrown.Our life was completely changed. In ten years span we became billionaire.One day an idea flashed in my mind that why not we built our own city .I talked to the banks ,with out hesitation my proposition heralded .A project Head up  with studios apartments. sold like hot cakes.Now with the Success of the studio apartment project ,the banks advanced me more finances. Myself position were so raised up that I was now inviting in the state functions as a “Business Tycoon”.Many Political parties offering me their party tickets for the next General Election. I announced Two thousand houses free for the destitutes. To became more popular Mary pop up many charitable works. Foreign investment also been increased. On-site these great success some times my old uncle used to say” this is all bubbles of water, don’t believe in it”.I thought that that old man is jealous of us, how it could be possible that such a large business empire would collapse.So,after studio apartment project, a gigantic “Trillion dollars Mega project burst up.It was one of the biggest project of Pakistan. Prime minister himself came for its opening ceremony. The project completed in seven years we did a blunder by not selling the houses phase wise,our policy was that we would advertised it and then sell it with a big bang. In seven years the inflation rate increases and the prices of the completed four projects were triggered trippled and became costly. Actually we wanted to accumulate money in one go,it was against the rules of real estate business. As the project came into completion a big business slump came due to Sudden change in Government economic policy. All the businesses came to halt.Mega project collapsed. Nobody was willing to buy our units .I became zero.Now with the collapse of the project ,Banks and cooperative companies demanding back their investments. They filed suits and I was arrested. Nobody came for my help. I became a laughing stock of the day. My every property was sold out and the amount was given to the investors.I came to riches to rags.I and Mary went to our friends for help but they all closed doors.we didn’t have money to buy meals for one time. Our old driver offered a small room in his house. Now we were highly perturbed what to do next.? How Would we coup up with the existing situation .In the morning we were having breakfast with tea and some sandwiches. Mary was very intelligent. She stood up and went to the jewelry, sold her last four bangles and a locket, which was the only last property left and in return she brought breads,chicken,black pepper and butter and stood up making sandwiches in the kitchen. When she done it gave it to me and said “dear go and sell it in the market”.I kept all the sandwiches in the tray very cleanly and started selling it in the offices and on the road side.That business flashed because Mary made it very delicious. The officers in the banks they all waiting for me. My food business became very successful. Hired a canteen in a railway station.There menu was also raised. Russian salad,Simple salad, rice with yogurt were introduced. Bought a van for carriage.Mary became the kitchen in charge. In the evening she used to go to market to buy the commodities. Our staff members were also raised,now they became One hundred and fifty in numbers excluding home service boys.we both were very excited on our recent accomplishment. One day I was delivering some stuff in the near by bank. A man was staring me ,came to me and said” are you Mr James Smith ,a business tycoon?, I was not expecting you like this,I’m now new Bank president, don’t YOU worry,I would definitely help you ,this is my card.”he said. ”This building in which both are standing ,belonged to me some times ago,I’m happy with my small business,that life was a great fiction “. Said this and stepped out. To day we both husband and wife contented and leading a satisfied life.Now we were away from the fictitious life and I now admired my uncle words ”every thing is bubble of water”.The End.

October 09, 2020 15:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Naheed Babar
16:56 Dec 26, 2020

This story shows that in the beggining they were simple but as they got the box their mind opens.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Naheed Babar
16:55 Dec 26, 2020

In this story his wife is also a brave woman.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Naheed Babar
16:54 Dec 26, 2020

This line is very touchy"Are you a bussiness tycoon"?It means the Bank president still has his image and wanted to give him a rise.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Naheed Babar
16:50 Dec 26, 2020

Story is good.Now a days many people fall victum,like this.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Naheed Babar
16:49 Dec 26, 2020

A bussiness tycoon's has full billioners life,than he sells sandwiches,is highly touchy.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Naheed Babar
16:47 Dec 26, 2020

This story also contains rise and fall..good plot.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.