Paper Love

Written in response to: Write a story about a pathological liar.... view prompt

4 comments

Romance Sad

"Hey there! how are you doing today?" 


I look up. Clouds sway swiftly from one point to the other. The solar-yellow stars wink at me from afar. The ones furthest away glitter in their heavenly finery. The benches nearby bathe in the moonlight as the tiny flowers dance with the cold breeze. A blooming flower made its way from the tree top to the ground. 


I lift it up, wondering how good it would look behind your ear. I've never seen you, but that doesn't matter, we could still be friends, right?


You observe all of this from far away. Neither of us can see each other, only feel the presence. But it wouldn't matter if our hearts are intertwined. 


What a heartless worlds we live in. Here, humans can read about us, but we can't. Only because we are characters. It's not fair at all. I used to wonder what if a human falls in love with a character? The answer is quite clear now. They would be devastated. Both worlds are different, the only similarity is the ruthlessness. Both don't support love.


Characters can get teleported into your world, though. What do you call it? Live action? But it's only for some time. The safe option would be to not get attached.


I let out a sigh. 


"Anyways, what are you up to these days?" I ask, making my way from the bench to the grass. "I can't hear you!" I yell with all my might to make sure my voice reaches you.

I forgot for a moment that you can read all my thoughts. Silly me. 


This park has always been my favorite, it's so tranquil. I lay straight on the grass, keeping my eyes closed. I wonder what you look like. Brunette? Blonde? Or maybe black-haired like me? 


I let the soft breezes punch me. It's so peaceful here. The murmuring of the waves at a distance is hypnotic. It is also a bit romantic, I must say. Only if I had someone with me. I feel the heat rising on my face as I realize that my thoughts are no longer only for me to hear.


"I didn't mean... I didn't mean I'm a loner, okay?" I explain it to you. I am a loner, though. 


Damn


You heard that too, didn't you? I can feel you chuckle, or maybe it's just my imagination. 


I hear soothing purrs and realize that it is my cat, Delilah. She rubs her soft and warm body against my face. She always does that. I open my eyes to stare at the night sky again. It's still cloudy. 


I heard that animals can teleport from one world to another. That makes me wanna become one. I scratch her head, and she brushes her fluffy tail against my wrist. I can't watch her in pain.

Whenever a human reads a story and then leaves, it hurts the characters. Some of us live forever, and every time they are forgotten by their readers, it hurts. It feels like death, but you just don't die.  


If you forgot this story, everything involved in it would be hurt. I can't watch my cat suffer, so I'll have to give her up. I'll have to send her to your world. Just know, if you ever encounter a black cat that's a bit moody, it's her. It's Delilah. I put the flower on her collar, so you can recognize her. If you ever manage to find her, just pet her for me.


I give her one last kiss. Tears formed, and the last meow was heard from her. She disappears. I wipe my tears convincing myself that she is in a better place now. 


The clouds slowly fade away. I look up to see your face, our eyes meet for the first time, and I feel something. 


You're stunning.


I look away, attempting to hide my red face, but you seem to realize it as you giggle. I feel my breaths accelerating. 

"Damn, it's hard." I make out some words.


Was this even possible? I told them I'd never fall for someone, but you, I love you. Funny. You've been only here for a couple of minutes, but it feels like I've known you for centuries. When I met you, I was scared to get hurt again, and I still am. But here I am…in love. 


I hope someday I'll meet you. I'm okay with it, even if I have to wait my whole life just to see you, I'm willing. I just want to hug you and cry on your shoulder. Even if you return after 60 years, I'll still be here, in love with you.


Even if it would hurt every time you close the tab, I'll manage to suffer that pain. They say it's a curse. To fall for a human. I'm happy, though. Even if we're far apart, I wonder how much fun we'd have together. I love you more than I can say. I will love you until the very end of infinity.


 I could not ask for anything more in this world as long as I have you by my side. You are everything to me and I hope you’ll stay that way! I am truly blessed to have found you.


Well, I guess this is it. I just want to be with you forever, there is no time that I don’t want you by my side. Alas, destiny has something else planned for us.


As I take shallow breaths, I feel as if I were dying, but it is my heart that hurt the most. It has been shattered into a million pieces. I hope to see you again in this lifetime… or the next. Nothing has ever hurt so much in my life. I feel so empty and sad knowing it is the end of us. 


 I love you so much it hurts. 




Author's Note: This story does not go with the prompt, I just wanted to write something sad. I honestly don't know what I think about this. It was kinda rushed, to be honest. But it's the quickest I ever finished a story. Well, I hope you enjoy this. Have an amazing day!





July 28, 2022 14:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Eleanor <3
00:49 Nov 29, 2022

your bio is immaculate

Reply

Show 0 replies
Leo Luzvardi
16:40 Aug 21, 2022

I love everything about your bio sir

Reply

Show 0 replies
Yves. ♙
21:14 Aug 07, 2022

I was surprised at your take on this prompt, and then I read the author's note! I think in a way it can still fit if you just imagine that the narrator isn't really telling the truth, but just wants our attention as the readers forever. Don't you think?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Unknown User
12:39 Aug 24, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.