1 comment

Adventure Fiction

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

My lord and savior is telling me this is the right thing to do. To spread his word. The devil around me is saying that I'm making a mistake yet I persist. God wants this and I want him to be proud of me for making him happy and bless me with eternal heavens. I've been planning for months. I’m going to settle in this new land and bring the truly devout here. It’ll be heaven on Earth.


September 23, 2018. 15:46-

I’m starting this entry because I’m approaching the island. It’s cold in the Indian Ocean, even in september. I plan to keep this journal up with my progression into the new land, I plan to call it “New Jerusalem”. My inner thoughts and notes about the details of what I find and what I will call everything will be here. 


16:59-

First time landing went very awry, there are people here, on god's land. They were vicious, however they were beautiful, their deep complexions were amazing, and I'm interested in their upkeep. I love them as if I've known them forever, as I do all gods creations, but I was shot at. They've destroyed my bible, an arrow right through the center. I'm more determined now than ever before. They spoke in what to me sounded like barks, howls, and groans. I'm certain it was their fight call. I hope they realize with Jesus, they'll never have to fear other people again. I'll leave for now but I will be back.


October 19th, 2018? 13:05

   When I arrived in the sand, I was greeted with drawn bows full of more arrows, this time hands full of rocks and seashells as well. I dropped to my knees and bowed down in prayer. “God, please protect me from all weapons formed against me, in Jesus name, amen.'' My hands were tied up and I was thrown onto my stomach, dragged into the woods by my ankles, and I felt my watch sizzle as it scraped in the hot lush land. I persisted in my prayer “Hey god, it's me again, I know you'll get me out of this, all I'm asking is that you allow them to hear me, that they can understand, and that they don't want my head on a platter before I can get through to them. May you protect me and give me strength. In Jesus name, amen!” By the time I was done, I ended up in a small village type settlement. They've been here for a long time. They haven't killed me yet. They don't understand English and I wasn't prepared for that. I remained tied for what felt like years. It was early morning when I arrived, I watched the sun both rise, then fall, then rise, again and again and again. I regretted my fondness for sunsets by the third time I saw them. I lost track of time, blinded by hunger, thirst, and my fear of bugs. Today I was sat up, they untied my hands, tied my ankles instead and gave back a few of my belongings. I gave them the bible they shot through and with their teeth they ripped it to shreds like a toy. It hurt my heart although I have more, but it made them eager to give me my journal. They seemed confused when I opened it and started to scribble on pages instead of putting it in my mouth and shaking violently like they had done.


October 20th, 2018. 19:56

I’m not even sure how long I’ve been here now, once my watch was broken, it felt like I was too. What I do know is that it's been one day since I last updated. My ankles are still tied but I feel like I'm gaining their trust. No communication has been made as the language barrier is still plaguing me, but I was given food and something to drink, no way to know what they really were. They called the drink “Ooo ma” . I'm assuming it's a cocktail that they believe heals. I ate and drank whatever without question, I’m purely desperate now. I figured out that their gorgeous skin is created by mud masks and soot that makes the hot sun more bearable. They seem quite interested in what I'm writing but I can't explain it to them. They live like apes, filthy, smelly, and unfazed by the whole ordeal. I prayed over them, crying, with my hands in the air. They stared at my drenched face, and simply felt around it as if it were raining then giggled at me when they realized it wasn't. I guess crying is foreign concept here.


October 25, 2018 15:06

It’s been about a week since my last entry. They started to treat me as a pet. The man I'm assuming is the leader, called “Tee chi” has grown quite fond of me and ties one of my arms to his, dragging me along for his day to day adventures. I tell him about God's word, he listens, even though I know he doesn't understand me. He won't let them rip my bibles anymore, I wish I could tell him how grateful I was. I've picked up some of their language now. “Ri mi” means “hungry?” “Arrr ey” means “Good bye” and their hugs mean i love you, they're rare and special around here. Tee chi has a lot of women surrounding him at anytime of day but “LeeKa” is my favorite, she unties me at night so i can fight of the bugs, she's also the only one who can write script, and although it's not comprehensible to me, it's sweet that she tries to show me any solidarity. She even traces the cross embroidered into the front of my personal bible. She should be able to write it soon. I have so many questions to ask. “Why aren't there many animals?”, “Why can't everyone write?” “Where do you come from?” “Are there many gene pools?” I mean surely they have to be committing incest with their adverse reaction to visitors. The longer I'm here, the more I see, the more confusion I have, and the sadder the language problem becomes.  


October 28, 2018. 06:33

It's only been a couple days since my last entry but everything has changed. LeeKa has been killed. She was sacrificed I think. It all happened a few hours ago and I'm still clueless. Tee chi is inconsolable and honestly so am I. From what I can gather, it seemed to be in cold blood. They took her in the dead of night, tied her to a tree, then screamed until the rest of the village woke up. Tee chi tied our wrists together like usual and walked with me to the commotion, he was visibly confused. Once we go there, the other girls Tee chi was involved with were the ones holding LeeKa captive. They screeched the same scream that I was first met with. I know that means war, but why? LeeKa was burned, she was surrounded by shrubs, and the bottom of the tree was set on fire. The girls then pointed to me and Tee chi. I don't know what the true story is, but I wish I knew their dialect. I know they are angry and that Tee chi is unpredictable. He ran, dragging me along. His speed was so fast that I was thrown to the ground at some point. He threw me over his shoulder like a rag doll, continued to run, and everything went dark. We're in some kind of cave and I'm writing this by a small fire that I have to put out soon. I don't feel safe, I don't know where I am, and I can't die a failure. 


November 2nd, 2018. 09:46. 

It's been four days since LeeKa was murdered. I've gotten maybe 6 hours of sleep these past few days. The girls have been looking for us, I really wish I would've learned their names now. The first night after we fled was the worst. In the darkness I heard Tee chi cry. I honestly didn't think they were capable. The women were screaming. I'm hungry, thirsty, clueless, and confused. Tee chi woke me up last night, took my hand, and led me back to where LeeKa had been burned. What's left of her was still standing tied against the tree. Everything was seared to it now. The whole scene was heartbreaking to see. Tee chi went to the tree and hugged it for a really long time. I played look out as my heart raced, once their long emotional hug was concluded, Tee chi pulled away and was covered head to toe in what I believe was a mixture of LeeKa, burned rope, and tree ashes. He was inconsolable. I took his hands in mine and started to cry with him. We stayed there for a moment too long and I began to hear twigs snap. In an instant there were screams and we were surrounded. They took Tee chi from me and threw me to the ground, out of their way. I am unimportant to them. 


14:36-

I chased behind them, truly living up to my pet status. They took him to the tree right beside where LeeKa was burned. I've been thinking and I wonder if the soot that keeps their skin so clear is actually made of people? Why LeeKa and Tee chi? They seem like the most important people in the village? Is this some sort of coming of age thing? Why am I being spared? They tied Tee chi up but have just been waiting around him, no burning or screaming. I think they're waiting for something. 


23:23-

I was right, they were waiting until the sun went down, they wanted the cloak of darkness? I don't understand they're going to be the center of attention anyway. I haven't been able to claim land for God. He knew this was going to happen, so maybe I was supposed to take another path. I was truly brought here to save Tee chi. To save them all really, from themselves. With that being said this will likely be my last entry, I am going to save Tee chi no matter what it costs me. I loosened his ropes, which was much easier than I expected, they are completely ignoring that I'm here and moving about. I plan to wait until just before they set him on fire to swap places with him, and save his life even if it costs me mine. I love him as any of the other gods' children and as someone truly devout, I enjoyed my time here. If anything is here after this, I failed, if not then know that I made my lord proud and died making him happy. 

April 23, 2024 14:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Joseph Ellis
09:50 May 06, 2024

Hey MJ. Welcome to Reedsy and cool first story. I don't know if you're specifically referencing the Sentinelese and John Chau, but a modern missionary makes for a great adventure and your writing is quite clear and efficient. For a circle critique suggestion, consider having your narrator's attitude, style, or punctuation change as the story develops and his situation becomes more desperate.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.