4 comments

Sad Teens & Young Adult Contemporary

(Past Arshi): I spent my whole life here but not any more just one year more and then here I come my dreams !

Present Arshi : I can't go I got no option.

(Past Arshi): I always wanted to sit in the train all alone me with my though and those beautiful running trees, mountains,wind...

Present Arshi: I don't know if I will ever even go to the station again.

(Past Arshi): Nobody can stop me! not even the money issues and mamma papa I got everything settled and prepared.

Present Arshi: Mom really needs me right now and there is no way I am leaving her alone.

Lakshmi: Really, there is nothing you can do, can't you appoint a full time nurse.

Arshi: I wish I could afford one, but even if I could I would have never left mom alone.

Lakshmi: What about Arshad? Can't he come or at least take her to city? I bet she ll be more comfortable there.

Arshi : Well I tried contacting him but as usual he is never home and as always it was just his machine and me talking and maybe he(Arshad) listening and enjoying our conversation.

Lakshmi : I still wish sometimes all this is just a foolish dream of mine , I cant believe this is the same Arshad who always fulfilled every responsibility, a loving son who always choose his family over him, who always protected his little sister, who got anxious if you didn't talked to him for a day. I mean I am sorry to say but I always saw you the more irresponsible one , always in her own world , stubborn , demanding, selfish, but look at you now. I must say this is a dramatic transformation in just a year.

Arshi: And a perfect partner?

Lakshmi: Pardon?

Arshi: You didn't mention perfect partner. wasn't he Lakshmi?

After an awkward silence.

Lakshmi [hesitantly] : I...I don't think I ever knew this part of him, but I still can't get it why is he doing this to his family.

Arshi: Maybe he got tired.

Lakshmi : Of what?

Arshi: I..I don't know. I think I should leave you got packing to do.

Lakshmi: listen don't ever hesitate, just call me whenever you want to talk or you need help I ll do the best I can.

Arshi: (gave a smile and left)

Arshi left Lakshmi's house and started moving towards her cottage. Lost in her thoughts she kept walking but got interrupted by voice.

chuk..chuk..(train engine)

She wanted to turn and look at the thing which she always adored, but she knew it will be nothing but salt on her wounds. She brisk walked towards her cottage trying hard to ignore the voices covering her ears, pulling her hair, forcing her eyes to shut down, dragging herself away from the station somehow she reached her cottage and once she reached the main door she gathered all her strength and ran into her cottage and slammed the door behind her.

Women: Who is there?

Arshi: (Breathing heavily)

Women: Arshi?

Arshi: Yeah! mom its me, I am sorry did i disturb you?

Mom: No..no honey! come here tell me, did you talk Arshu(Arshad)? what did he say? when will he reach here? tell me his arrival time I need to do the preparations. huh! tell me.

Arshi: Tomorrow evening.

Mom: oh! that's.. late okay never mind I ll start preparations.

Arshi walked into her room and closed the door behind her. She took her key shaped locket off her neck and inserted it in her cupboard, a smile of relief,satisfaction and reunion came to her face as she opened the cupboard.

Arshi: Hey dumb ass! I missed you.

She took her little red diary out holding it like a new born baby, smiling like its the best feeling in the world for her. She sat on her multicolored fluffy mattress and begin writing.

Arshi (writing): Dear Dumb ass

How are you? I know its been a year since we talked, I don't know how to start this, but this year has been nothing but a surprise but not a good one. Things have changed, some people have left, some people got stuck, some people got lost and some people are still long gone. I wanted to talk you but lack of time and consciousness always stood between us but now papa isn't here to interrupt us and I can recollect now that what exactly happened so we can talk now. It all started when I proposed the idea to go city for further studies but as usual Arshu got the first opportunity and that's the moment I started hating my birthday so much only if I was born 3 years earlier that train ticket would have been mine. He left us and the girl he always loved Lakshmi for his dream. We all knew that he ll eventually come around because he can't stand staying away from us for this long, 3 years passed by but he didn't came well he came out quiet stronger than we thought,the first year wasn't hard because he talked to us but the rest year we just waited for his calls but neither did he came neither his calls just a letter with his new mobile number where we can contact him and as usual he couldn't attend it and we talked to his machine, of all this grieving and waiting a year ago a source of happiness came in my life, I got accepted in my dream college with a scholarship , although this didn't made mamma papa happy and I know the fear of getting distant from the second child too was holding them back and also the genuine concerns every parent having a daughter goes through, but after spending my whole life in my house I grew strong enough to know that no concerns, emotional tantrums and money issues can stop me to run and catch my dreams, but I guess fate wasn't ready ready to enjoy the bliss life was offering. Papa after a long wait and grieving died of cancer washing away all our savings and a huge loan still to pay. I still remember he didn't look at me or mamma who were there all the time waiting for his one last glance, but instead he kept looking at the door waiting for the son who never came , 2 months after papa's death mamma's memory started to fade away she was diagnosed with Alzheimer, starting days weren't much scary as she just misplaced some familiar words and locations but now she is blurring us away from her memory and it hurts. I am alone here watching my friends leaving chasing behind their dreams wondering was it all my fault maybe I shouldn't have proposed the idea of going to city or was it Arshu? he should have come back, will he ever come back? Why is he doing this ? He got tired of us or pretending to be someone he never really was? , will I ever catch that train? when will things start to fall back in place? I have no idea. I think I loose a part of hope whenever I look myself in the mirror because I am changed I can't find the girl who shouted "here i come my dreams" whenever she looked at the mirror because now she has missed her train and she doesn't know the arrival time of her next train. I don't who is wrong or who is right I have lost the ability to decide it, I just belive everyone plays thier part in the story villain does what he is supposed to do , side characters exaggerate the drama, and main lead just fights and maybe win or maybe not same goes with my story everyone is playing thier part and I don't know what's there for me next but I just hope either this story ends or begins a new chapter. Well enough talking for today I should go get ready for Lakshmi's wedding ceremony to at least meet my only friend last time before she also leaves , yes she is getting married to one her father's friend's son , she too got tired of waiting.

See you tomorrow.

Arshi closed her diary and put it back in the cupboard.

Mom: Arshi when did you came? why didn't you tell me you were coming I would have prepared something nice.

Arshi: Yeah! mom sorry I ll inform you from next time.

Mom: And when is Arshu coming?

Arshi (sigh): Tomorrow evening.

Mom: Oh God! I should start preparing something for him. oh dear God! and Arshi go inform Lakshmi she ll be so happy.

Arshi:(smiling):Yes, mom I am going to Lakshmi's house till then you take a nap and then I ll come and help you with preparations.



January 05, 2021 06:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

18:15 Jan 15, 2021

Thanks for the story Jahnavi! Arshi's firm resolve to help her mother comes across clearly. I would recommend spending a bit of time on editing your work. There are a few typos, grammatical errors and punctuation errors. All the best!

Reply

Jahnavi Singhal
14:44 Jan 17, 2021

Thankyou so much this means a lot and I ll definitely work on these issues.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Colin Devonshire
04:10 Jan 14, 2021

That was different. Not the style of story I normally read, but I enjoyed it. A few typos crept in.

Reply

Jahnavi Singhal
14:45 Jan 17, 2021

Thankyou so much this means a lot and I ll definitely work on this issues.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.