The Minty View

Written in response to: Set your story in a bar that doesn’t serve alcohol.... view prompt

4 comments

Coming of Age Fiction Happy

Booker worked in the Minty View for most of his teen years. The Minty view was a beautiful place for everyone to enjoy. Kids and adults were all invited to this charming bar. It was like a candy store for everyone alike. Since there were kids coming into the restaurant, no alcohol was allowed. Booker made that rule very clear to parents. The Minty View is very kid friendly. Booker loves to see the smiles of happy kids and the laughter of adults talking. To him, it was like listening to music.

The Minty View is a restaurant for people to eat their food. The menu was filled with delicious burgers and pizzas. The burgers were juicy and the buns were buttery and sweet. The pizza were crunchy and cheesy. Drinks were only for $1.50. There were many to choose from. Orange soda, grape soda, water, and sweet tea. Booker seems a little puzzled. He doesn't want people to just eat and leave. An idea popped in his head.

He went to his manager's office to talk to him.

"Hey, boss, we have a lot of empty rooms in the building," he says. "Maybe we can put a skating rink and a bowling alley for everyone to enjoy."

The manager scratched his head and shrugged. "I mean, why not?"

The next morning when Booker came to work, construction workers were inside the building to work on the project. Booker couldn't wait for everyone to be amazed. As usual, Booker took people's orders and gave them their food. It took the construction workers months to finish the skating rink and the bowling alley.

Finally, everything was finished. Booker took a look at it for himself. He was amazed at what they had done. Purple had covered the room for the skating rink. It was a huge rink for everyone.

Booker is awed by the sight. "I like this!"

One of the construction workers gave him a wink. "Wait until you look at the bowling alley."

The bowling alley is across from the skating rink. Booker opened the door. " This is phenomenal!"

The bowling alley was colored with light blue. Comfy chairs were placed in each lane so people could communicate. Booker thanked them and paid them.

I'm sure people will love it as much as I do.

On a sunny morning, a huge crowd was surrounding the restaurant. Parents and kids were waiting for Booker and his gang to arrive. Hours went by and there were still no signs of Booker. People were getting tired of standing for hours. Some even left and went home.

"Where is that young man?" a chubby woman says in rage.

"This isn't like him whatsoever!" A man with a black and white replied.

A huge limousines drove by the Minty restaurant. Everyone was questioning why it was here. The door opened up. A man with a black hat and a blue suit came walking in. It was Booker. The crowd went wild when they saw the 19 year old boy.

"He's here!" a child shouts, holding his stuff bear.

Booker waved at the crowd with a bright smile on his face. He loves the attention that people are giving him. Booker was the type of person to make sure everyone was having a great time. He wants his guests to feel comfortable and happy. That's what everyone loves about him. Booker is a kind and gentle soul who makes people love him for his personality. He walked up to the door with a key in his right hand.

"Is everyone ready to see the new restaurant!?"

The crowd shouted with glee and applaud. Booker's boss was standing beside him. A delighted smile hit his face.

"I'm proud of you, son, " he whispered. "You've grown up so fast."

Booker heard what he said. "Thank you, Dad."

He opened the door. Everyone rushed inside to see the new areas. Booker turned to his dad.

"I'm glad we did this together." he says.

His dad puts his arms around his son. "Your mother would be proud of you. "

The Minty Restaurant was found in 1972 by Booker's mom and dad. They were in their twenties when they found the place. It was all dusty and moldy.

"Honey, I don't think this place will be good to make a restaurant." Dad told his wife.

She puts his hands on her hips. "Of Course we can," she snaps. " We just have to believe in ourselves! Just think about our children"

At the time, they were poor and lived in a filthy condition. They had to do something or else they would starve and die. The couple had 7 children together. They were going to have their 8th child in 4 weeks- that baby was Booker. The mom was always positive that one day, they will be famous and everyone will love them. Together, Mom and Dad cleaned up the building with their own two hands.

I'm not giving up!

I have to do this for my family!

You have kids to take care of!

Blood was on their hand. Sleep was kicking in but they never gave up though. Years went by and they were done. It only took courage and faith. They never gave up because they cared more about someone than themselves.

Mom looked at Dad. She held his hand. "I told you we can do it." She held his hand tight. He looks at her.

"It's because of our children." He smiled.

The young couple had family to help them with their restaurants. Mom thought it was a good idea to not bring alcohol in the restaurant.

"What! No alcohol?!" Mom's cousin shouted. "But why?"

She looks at him with dead eyes. "Because, I want kids to enjoy this place too."

He rolled his eyes. "Who cares about kids?" he says.

Mom grabbed him by the shirt. "You know how people are!" she raised her voice. "Grandma was an alcoholic and you know what she do when she gets drunk."

Their grandma was always drunk. She would hit them every chance she gets. Mom doesn't want to think about that right now. She wants peace.

Customers were coming in slowly.

"This food is tasty!"

"How do they cook like this?"

"These chefs have a lot of talent!"

Mom loves seeing the smiles on people's faces. No one even asked about why there was no alcohol.

4 weeks later, baby Booker was welcomed into this Earth. Mom would love to teach him how to be a cook. They would play "restaurants" together. 2 years later, Mom was shot by an unknown man. He had a mask over his head and was wearing all black. She was rushed to the hospital. Booker was only 2 at the time. She reaches out to Booker as her over 7 children were crying their eyes out. Dad was stroking her warm black hair. Booker wipes his eyes and looks at his mother.

"Please don't die, Mommy."

Mom strokes his hair. "My last wish is for you to take care of the Minty Restaurant for me."

Booker nods his head. " I will do anything for you, Mommy," he sobs. "Even when you die, your dream will still come true."

Mom breathes her last breath and dies. All hope were gone. After the funeral, Booker and Dad were left all alone. All the children left and they were never seen or heard of again.

"Our family is falling apart."

Booker holds Dad's hand. "We can do this together."

17 years after Mom's death, they continued with the routine.

NO ALCOHOL

Now, Booker and Dad were happy with what they did. Booker looked up to the sky.

"We did it, Mommy," he smiles. " I'm making your dream come true."

January 15, 2024 02:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Graham Kinross
02:04 Mar 24, 2024

Cute. Great story Nikaya.

Reply

Nikaya O'Neal
03:37 Mar 24, 2024

Thank you. It's kinda horrible though since I put some graphic stuff up there but I think I'll rewrite it

Reply

Graham Kinross
05:12 Mar 24, 2024

Life is graphic though. It’s getting through that and finding the positives that makes us happy even when terrible things have happened. Your stories don’t have to be always happy but it’s nice that it ends on a high note.

Reply

Nikaya O'Neal
14:16 Mar 24, 2024

I wrote another story on Friday. It's called Whispering Petals

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.