9 comments

Coming of Age Friendship Teens & Young Adult

It all started six years ago, at a party I hardly remember. I blame the alcohol because that’s the only way I made it through those things. Until he changed all that. Let me introduce myself. I am Amarissa Frey Johnson, taking you back six years ago when I was eighteen.

Drinks flowing.

I took a swig of the illegal, bootlegged  liquor. After all, what underage gal from the country, or anywhere else for that matter, don’t, at some point go behind her folks’ back? It burned on its way, but flowed smoothly down my throat and into my stomach. I smiled at the sexy group of guys next to me, contemplatin’ my options. They were topless, six-packs and farmer tans showing in the moonlight. I smiled. Sauntered up, my raven-colored waves blowing in the breeze, a flirtatious smile on my tequila flavored lips.

”How’d a bunch of good lookin’ fellas like y’all get stuck dateless tonight?” I batted my lashes at the tallest and darkest one among them. I shrugged my light-material button-down plaid off one shoulder. I unbuttoned the top five, sayin’ it was necessary from the heat of the night. I didn’t care that it revealed too much of my c-cup cleavage, not even when one of the guys gave a low whistle of appreciation. He leaned down and kissed me. I kissed back, snakin‘ my darkened arms around his neck. I blamed the tequila.

Shadows dancing. 

I laughed and talked about the days gone by. Reminiscing on loves lost at my young and ripe age of eighteen. I bitched over the struggles of being a teenage farm girl from the middle of Bumfuck, USA. I ran from the shadows, scared to be caught in their inky depths. Who knew what would happen if they lured me in?

Up at the crack ass of dawn. Working in the blazing summer heat of the Deep South. Throwing bales of hay. Plowing fields. Grazing the cattle. Feeding slop to the hogs. Splitting wood for the upcoming winter, on the off-chance of snow. Clearing out the barn. Picking peaches. Fixing fences. All the things that a female couldn’t do a century ago, things females weren’t allowed to do.

The upside of the farm life was the cornfield parties late at night. Usually, but not all the damned time. They raged starting Friday night. We drank and partied til the crack of dawn, dragged our asses home for a full day of work, and went back to the party Saturday night before dragging our asses to church Sunday morning. We‘d sleep off the hangovers after Sunday dinner, hit the hay early Sunday night, and be ready for a full week of work Monday mornin. Flames made it appear that the shadows danced in and out of the grinding bodies. I blamed the moonshine for my fears of the dark and my bitchiness.

Spin The Bottle

I kissed him, and nearly all the others, but him the most. Starlight played with his baby blue eyes, or maybe it was me getting drunk. I kissed guys and girls, throwing some back with every kiss. I made out with three hot guys and two gorgeous girls. I blame the wine for my actions.

Upbeat country music blaring. 

We were just country boys and girls getting down on the farm. Mary-Jane, Pearl, and their boyfriends were skinny dipping in the river. Matthew and Johnny were zip lining across and into the tree-line on the other side. Billy-Jean and Clay were fucking in the hayloft while Sarah and Mark we’re getting it on in the woodshed.

Tim McGraw and Brantley Gilbert blared as the rest of us did the boot scooting boogie and do-si-doed. We did the cotton-eyed-joe, and several other lien dances before forming a major circle to our own boot-stomps. I spun around with all them cowboys at least once, sometimes multiple go-rounds with the same fellow. I thought they were some fine-looking fellows, but teases all the same. I blamed the whiskey.

Small Talk and Bullshit

Wanna come on over?“ I threw back another shot as the guy suddenly seemed a little bit hotter than before. I eyes him up and down, chewed on my bottom lip, and sighed softly as recognition lit up in my alcohol filled brain.

”Blake.” My crush. The hottest guy in school. I smiled at him, convinced I could do this. After all, alcohol was my strength. I grabbed his hand, stared into his baby blue eyes, and kissed him like there was no tomorrow. He smiled and led me away. I blamed the alcohol for my actions.

Then it happened.

I fell in love. Okay, it was lust, but I never knew the difference. I told him that I loved him, wanted him and only him. He smiled and introduced me to all of his friends as his new girlfriend. I laughed and talked with the lot of them as if I’d known them forever, knowing that once I was sober, I’d never do this and would probably regret making a fool of myself. 

“Come on.” I pulled him away amidst the cat-calling and lewd suggestions. He followed me to the kegs, where I threw down two more cups of something with a bitter aftertaste. 

“Amarissa. You’re going to puke.”

”No. I’m going to make it through tonight.” He looked at me in confusion. “Alcohol makes me outgoing, accepted by folks around here.”

”What’re you talk in’ bout? You’re the most accepted gal round here, Doll.” He cupped my face in his large hands.  “You're outgoing, easy to get along with, the life of a party, a teacher’s pet, and a hard worker.” He leaned in and kissed me.

”If that’s what the world sees, they’re wrong. I’m insecure, stay in my own mind all the time, overthink everything, and hide my true self behind walls.” I blamed the bitter alcohol for my blabbering mouth.

”Well, I guess it’s time to show the world your true self then.” He smiled and pulled me further into the darkness. I blame the alcohol for making me follow.

July 29, 2021 17:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

9 comments

John K Adams
21:48 Aug 05, 2021

If alcohol wasn't around to take the blame, what would we all do? I've known a few who could only face the world with a head full of spirits. You capture it well.

Reply

E.C. Nickelson
13:48 Aug 06, 2021

Good morning, Darlin'! I hope the day has found you well! Honestly? We'd probably find another addiction to take the blame. I was raised between a small mill town and a small farm town down South. The farm town? I kid you not, liquor seems to flow from seemingly nowhere. The mill town? It's the cocaine, heroin, crystal meth, etcetera. I've seen the highs and lows of both through my pals, neighbors, and family, and it ain't pretty to say the least. I know more than just a few people who can only face the world when they're lit up like the ...

Reply

John K Adams
15:08 Aug 06, 2021

You captured it well enough. It is very sad. With all those churches, it seems no one is telling right, or no one is listening. I knew a guy a long time ago, when I first returned to the church. He'd say, 'F... the world, I'm going with God.' He didn't have an easy life, but I believe he stuck to that declaration. Be well.

Reply

E.C. Nickelson
18:13 Aug 06, 2021

Good afternoon, Mr. Adams. Thank you, again. Indeed, it is sad. I've come to realise that the church is full of hypocrites. I ain't been since January of 2020, and I've only found two that have truly felt like home. The first was the small backwoods Baptist church where I found God and the second was a Church of God in the hometown of my step-father. I couldn't agree more with that sentiment. I do believe it's a mixture of both. The Bible-thumpers tell their many versions while those who go just for show never seem to truly listen for what...

Reply

John K Adams
18:44 Aug 06, 2021

Rose, I have to say, churches don't have any corner on hypocrites. You can find them anywhere people are. At least some in churches, know they are broken. One thing ailing too many, is their trying to earn their way to heaven. I subscribe to the gospel of grace - accepting that I'm accepted, despite my flaws. Keep on pursuing your education. Keep your eyes on Jesus. He's not only in church. He's in your heart. Be blessed!

Reply

E.C. Nickelson
18:58 Aug 06, 2021

Aye, there is truth in your words, Sir. I did not mean to imply that hypocrites weren't outside of church, as I know the world is full of them, just that most of the ones I have met have had a major hand in the churches I have attended. Ain't that the truth! My mother's partner believes he has to earn his way to Heaven, and nothing I've tried saying has convinced him otherwise. It breaks my heart. The Gospel of Grace it shall forever remain, for nothing will ever change God's Truths for those who know and hold them dear. I most certainly w...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jhon Collin
21:48 Aug 18, 2021

<a href="https://theliquorbook.com/">Alcohol</a> shouldn't be blamed, it’s us who need improvement, we shouldn't get addicted to something.

Reply

E.C. Nickelson
01:46 Aug 21, 2021

Good evening, Darling. I am fully aware of this, however, I am also fully aware that alcohol is what many blame for their actions, and that is, in part, what I attempted to capture. God bless, Dear.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jhon Collin
21:40 Aug 18, 2021

Thanks for the great present, Lisa. I wish that someone would have given me this book sooner; it could've saved a lot of my friends. I personally believe that <a href="https://theliquorbook.com/">liquor consumption</a> should always be within limits!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.