1 comment

Bedtime Contemporary Fantasy

Teeshoe was walking up the corridor and then down it. ‘ I must be imagining things’ he said to himself. His mind was racing fast. He took a sharp turn at the corner when he bumped into a side wall. ‘ Holy shit, what ever has happened to me’ he muttered under his breath. He didn’t bother and continued walking. A few minutes later, he decided to settle into a cozy couch with a book. He took a quick shower and changed into comfortable clothing. Fixed a few items to eat and ran his fingers through the mini library he had at home. There were quite a few books he hadn’t read lately and so he decided to close his eyes and contemplate a while before he chose a book to sit down with. ‘ I must make it a habit to read regularly’, he spoke to himself.Finally he picked one which was the one he had been wanting to read for a long time. Mystery was his favourite genre and so he took one of those and began reading. Well, before reading he thought that he should keep a count of the days he would be reading the book because he just wanted to know how long he would take to complete a book he enjoyed reading. ‘ Hello! He heard a voice in his brain’. He pushed the voice aside. It called him again,this time a little louder. He pretended not to listen to it. The third time it called, he decided to pay some heed. It sounded like his brain was beginning to speak to him again. He opened the book and flipped through the pages. A little voice inside him was actually beginning to speak to him after so many long years....

He began reading slowly, all cooped up on the couch. ‘ How long should it take for this to be completed?’, he wondered as he began. With no more thoughts on his mind he commenced. What a blissful time it was to just curl up with the favourite book and favourite characters. He was slipping into the setting and the characters, the story was taking over him. His imagination was soaring as he forayed in and the mood was just right for all the characters to play out their parts. Each one seemed to be talking to him and at point he was jolted awake when he was reading the part where there was a knock on the door and as if by coincidence there was a knock on his door....

He got up and immediately knew that he wouldn’t be able to finish the book and so checked out the date on his calendar and went to check. It was his close friend Beelz who had dropped by to pay him a visit. ‘ hello, I just dropped by.....’. Teeshoe wanted to shoo him away as quickly as possible because he wanted to enjoy reading his book. Anyway, he decided to spend some or a little time with his friend. So the book was tossed back into the library with a dog ear and the two of them sat down to chat by the sofa. ‘ I have come to check on you’, his friend mentioned. ‘Check on me?’

‘Why, what happened to me?’ He asked alarmed. Conversations took a good time off their schedules and Beelz was unaware that Teeshoe was hooked onto the book. A couple of conversations led them to plan out an outing a few days later, they cooked and fed themselves over dinner and his friend made a move. As they said goodbye to each other Teeshoe had a slight inclination to go back to bed with the book but then he decided against it and fell into deep slumber as soon as he hit the bed. He dreamt of all the things he had read in the book and woke up to a bright shiny day. He was planning to go back the book as it was pulling him in and so he laid all his work out early on. Scheduled all his meetings and writings in such a manner that he could find time to spend sometime with his book everyday. The day progressed well and his mind was wondering about a lot of things but every time the book took over his thoughts. It seemed liked he had to get back to it and finish it and also wanted to know how many days it would take him to finish it as this was one book which was drawing him in.....

He began frantically reading the book, as it caught him up in its web. The days began moving faster and he began checking out the days even faster. It reached a stage where he was no longer concentrating much on his work or the upkeep of his home. He woke up one day to check how many days he had checked and found that it was missing from his data. He was devastated as he wanted to create a record of sorts for himself. He threw the book and began acting weird. He called his friend to help him fix his mind. His friend came rushing and sat down with him to calm him down, relax his mind and to get him back on track. It was a nightmarish episode in his life. He needed help...so he had to be taken into confidence and a dedicated team began working on him..

There were bouts of such incidents later on and they had to keep him calmed down most of the time and each day was checked out and he kept a track of it himself, but in the end it would always go missing. So he was getting deeper and deeper into trouble because of these episodes and everyone had to interfere in these missing dates problems . It’s only later that his friend found out that someone was erasing them and they tried to trace that someone. But alas it remained a mystery all their lives.

December 27, 2020 17:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Anonymous 1
03:57 Jan 08, 2021

Indeed a bedtime read. But I feel like I want to know more about the main character.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.