41 comments

Fiction Romance Contemporary

TW: Sex

They met on the stairs. Hearts beating a drumroll.

            “Kiss me,” he commanded.

            After looking around, she leaned forwards. A lusty smile spread across her lips. Four blue eyes closed as their lips met.

            “We shouldn’t,” she whispered, pulling away.

            “Isn’t that why it’s so fun? No one is here. But we can hear them.” His fingers slipped into her long black hair. She leaned in again.

            Their lust was brand new. It fed on messages between them day and night. Smiles pulled their mouths wide whenever they read the latest volley of their story.

            “You’re a bad man,” she said. Smiling. Biting her lip.

            “That’s why you like me.” His hand slid down her back.

            “It’s one of the reasons. Come on, lets go.” Work was done. “The quicker we get to bed, the quicker I can be loud.”

            For a moment he watched her walking, curves in jeans. Wide hips swayed. Tattoos peeked from rolled up sleeves.

Quickstepping to the station, they were soon on the train. Frisky fingers typed words that could not be spoken in public.

            I’m ripping your clothes off the moment the door closes, he typed.

            Glad to hear it. She smiled as she looked up at him. I have a little surprise for you.

            TELL ME.

            No. No spoilers. You have to wait and see. She licked her lips. You should sit down; you’re pitching a tent.

            He looked down. She was right. He tried to think about anything else. I’m too excited, he typed. I’ve been looking forward to today since last week.

            Two stations? This thing needs to go faster, she typed.

            Definitely. May I say, you’re looking irresistible in those jeans, and I have no plans to resist at all. They’re better off on the floor though. Hurry up train!

            I liked the story you wrote me last night. About us on the island. You never finished.

            Looking up from his phone, he gave her a grin that would have had him killed in some countries. Where were we?

            On the beach again. We’d lost our clothes and you were rubbing lotion on me.

            “Time to get off,” he said, realising it was their station.

            I plan to, she typed.

Four condoms, and two showers later, they lay on what was left of the bed.

            “I needed that so bad,” she said. Her eyes were closed as she mumbled into the sheets.

            “You talk like it’s over,” he said.

            “It has to be over. I’ll die,” she spoke into the tangled sheets. Her pale skin glistened with sweat from head to toe. 

            “But you’ll die happy.” He ran a finger down her back, making her shiver. A sadistic smile spread across his flushed face.

            “Stop that.”

            “No.”

            “You like to tease me.”

            “You know it. I prefer to do it with my tongue though.” Laying down next to her, he let his hand wander down her back.

            “Kiss me first.” Blue eyes locked together. Her straight black hair lay across the bed as she rolled onto her side. Her trembling hand pulled his to her neck. Dry lips caressed each other. “We need water.”

            He rolled off the bed. Grabbing a bottle from his work bag, he passed it to her. “These sheets look like they’ve been through a flood.”

            “No wonder. I’m half dead,” she closed her eyes and threw both hands over her face. Silver glinted on her wedding finger. “What am I doing?”

            “If you’re half dead, we’re halfway there. You’re having the best sex of your life?” He kissed her thighs and kept going.

            “You’re going to kill me,” she said. Her next exhalation was a gasp as her fingers strangled the sheets.

            “Then tell me to stop. No? I’ll keep going then.”

            Her phone buzzed. She pushed him from between her legs and grabbed it. “It’s my husband. He’s working late again. There’s a surprise.” Her frown broke as her lover picked another condom from the packet and began strobing his eyebrows up and down.

            “Kill me.” She smiled and threw her phone back on to the bedside table.

They kissed in the shower. Bodies tangled together in knots. Hands lost themselves in mischief.

            Towels worked to dry them off. Lusty smiles turned to sombre frowns. He threw on his clothes. She gathered hers, watching him.

            “My husband is away for work next week. We could go to my house instead of the hotel. I want to do it in my bed. I’ve never had sex in it. Can you believe that?” Her eyes mourned opportunities lost, time and youth slipping through her fingers.

            “No. I never understand where the lust goes. At first, you’re the magic that makes their world go round. One day you realise they’re bored of you. They spend more time with their back to you at night.”

            “And yet you love them,” her head hung. Wet hair hid her guilty face.

            “Which only makes it harder. You stay, hoping it will get better. Instead, you just feel them slipping further away. They become a stranger,” he sighed. He yawned. “Shame about the rest of the condoms. Can’t take them home though.”

            Feet wrinkled from the shower squeezed into socks. Shoes swallowed them. “I’m just going to tell her I’m on my way home now.” He began typing.

            “You could stay a little longer?” Her voice was hopeful. She patted the bed.

            “No. I need to go. If I start coming home later than usual, she’ll be suspicious. I’ll see you at work tomorrow. Come here. Kiss me goodbye.” His outstretched hand summoned her from the sheets.

            Naked flesh rose. In a birthday suit curved to kill, she walked to him, slowly.

            “Please don’t go.” Her words were whispered whiskey. Seductive. Addictive. Deadly in high doses.

            He was normally the voice of temptation. Strict self-discipline kept him to his schedule. He had to run for the train home. She was slipping. Falling into something that could destroy them both. Two marriages. Two homes. Two families.

            “Remember you love him. We must be careful,” he said. Each word was warning and regret. In their stories they were free to be together whenever and wherever they liked.

            Both had made promises. She looked at the ring on her finger.

            “It gets harder to say goodbye to you every time,” she said. Picking up her clothes, she began to dress.

            “I know. But that’s a pain we have to bear. I still love her. Despite this. I love her.” He reached for the door.

            “See you tomorrow,” she said.

            “I can’t wait.” He winked and closed the door. Outside the hotel room, he looked at his phone. Three messages. He was going to miss the train.

            Head light from exhaustion, he fled the scene of the crime. He’d prepared an alibi. It had to hold.

September 12, 2022 06:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

41 comments

Faruk Ahmed
11:21 Sep 23, 2022

Love your story, keep on writing such beautiful storey

Reply

Graham Kinross
11:48 Sep 23, 2022

Thank you, Faruk. I’ll try.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
17:09 Sep 22, 2022

The best bit: “No. I never understand where the lust goes. At first, you’re the magic that makes their world go round. One day you realise they’re bored of you. They spend more time with their back to you at night.” “And yet you love them,” her head hung. Wet hair hid her guilty face. “Which only makes it harder. You stay, hoping it will get better. Instead, you just feel them slipping further away. They become a stranger,” he sighed. That was good!

Reply

Graham Kinross
19:26 Sep 22, 2022

Thank you. I’m glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
17:09 Sep 22, 2022

The best bit: “No. I never understand where the lust goes. At first, you’re the magic that makes their world go round. One day you realise they’re bored of you. They spend more time with their back to you at night.” “And yet you love them,” her head hung. Wet hair hid her guilty face. “Which only makes it harder. You stay, hoping it will get better. Instead, you just feel them slipping further away. They become a stranger,” he sighed. That was good!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Charlie Murphy
16:58 Sep 19, 2022

You showed their emotions well. I kind of feel bad for the husband because he loves both. Maybe, you could write the backstory on how the husband met his mistress? Although, it's fine without it.

Reply

Graham Kinross
20:45 Sep 19, 2022

I’ll think about a prequel. Maybe I’ll just write a separate story since I don’t really like to go backwards on reedsy, it makes people trying to find the continuity of your stories struggle.

Reply

Charlie Murphy
23:31 Sep 19, 2022

Or you could expand your story and publish on Booksie. I've done that

Reply

Charlie Murphy
23:35 Sep 19, 2022

Thank you for liking my stories. Can you like Beth's Diaper Adventure?

Reply

Graham Kinross
23:37 Sep 19, 2022

I have liked and commented. I’ll have a look at one of your other stories.

Reply

Charlie Murphy
23:44 Sep 19, 2022

Oh! Sorry, I forgot.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
S. E. Mary
10:46 Sep 18, 2022

I could really feel the confusing pain both characters were going through as they both loved their spouses but still wanted one another. I didn’t read what prompt you responded to, so the whole time I read I was afraid it was going to be the prompt where the character has to face death. I was worried because I really enjoyed your characters and was not interested in either one dying. This was perfectly written to balance the steamy actions and the plot. Great job! Can’t wait to read your next work.

Reply

Graham Kinross
02:26 Sep 20, 2022

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
01:51 Sep 13, 2022

Hi Graham! I agree with Shirley that this was very tastefully written. I really enjoyed the dialogue in this piece and the way you personified lust. I thought it was wonderful the way you leaned on a trope, but humanized your characters. My favorite line was: It fed on messages between them day and night“ I recently wrote a piece called “Reunion” in this same vein. I’d love your thoughts.

Reply

Graham Kinross
04:52 Sep 13, 2022

I’ll have a look at Reunion when I can concentrate on it. Thank you for your kind words.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hannah Rumley
00:46 Feb 09, 2023

I think this is really good, of course I'm not a professional at this but I personally liked it so I think you should make more stories.

Reply

Graham Kinross
01:11 Feb 09, 2023

Thank you. There’s more after this one. https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/r8mcfx/

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
13:39 Jan 12, 2023

Graham, you are very good at putting stories together and creating a larger story. These characters are going through rough patches with their spouses regarding relations sexually and have comfort with one another. You portrayed that aspect very well. You had some really great lines in this one. So sad that people resort to sneaking around instead of dealing with an issue head-on. Staying in a love-less all-around relationship is difficult, I would imagine. Especially when you find someone who you want to be with instead. LF6.

Reply

Graham Kinross
21:22 Jan 12, 2023

It’s sad, but it’s everywhere. It’s a tradition in Japan for people who work in offices to go out drinking together after long hours on the job instead of going home to their families. Often they go to bars to see other women when they have wives and children at home. It’s ridiculous. I’ve taught children who aren’t sure if they have fathers because they never see them.

Reply

Lily Finch
00:02 Jan 13, 2023

That is sad to hear. Why do they bother to have families if they want to live a single life? It begs the question, who made the tradition? I'm assuming a married man. Too bad. LF6.

Reply

Graham Kinross
00:38 Jan 13, 2023

It’s things like that which make it little wonder the birth rate is so low here. The habits of the society need an overhaul to improve family life but the economy is geared towards keeping people apart. Cram schools to keep kids busy while their parents overwork. Clubs to keep the (mostly) men away from home, though there are host bars aimed at lonely women as well. The people trapped in those jobs are known for frequenting the establishments of their preferred gender when they’re not working so all the money stays in the pockets of the gang...

Reply

Lily Finch
01:00 Jan 13, 2023

Interesting business plan. I hadn't thought of that angle. Shows you how naive I am. Geez! Pathetic. LF6

Reply

Graham Kinross
01:06 Jan 13, 2023

People who work too long to maintain even a pretence of a relationship go to those places to have someone treat them like it’s a date, handsome men, pretty women who are well dressed talk to them about things while the customers spend a fortune on overpriced food and drink for themselves and the ‘hosts’ who end up with tiny apartments full of expensive gifts from lonely people. It’s fascinating and sad all at once.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
12:25 Jan 12, 2023

There's a sequel to this now. If you want to read it, you can use the link below. Thanks. https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/r8mcfx/

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
20:14 Jan 16, 2023

Now that I read the first one (which, by the way, was posted the month I came! :), I have a different take on the second one. I can see that it is definitely one-sided on his part, and it makes me want to recant my thoughts about his wife's infidelity. This one really clarifies what the issues are, and now -- giving Part 2 a second read -- it's totally clear she's just wiped out from her job and he's missing the time that she was not.

Reply

Graham Kinross
21:06 Jan 16, 2023

Thanks for reading both, Wendy. I never meant it to seem like the wife was up to anything even though so many people saw it that way.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
21:15 Jan 16, 2023

I think it was 100% the part about her being on her cell. We're apparently a suspicious and judgmental bunch, lol.

Reply

Graham Kinross
21:20 Jan 16, 2023

Who isn’t on their phone 24/7 now though?

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
21:22 Jan 16, 2023

True dat. Though, if there's no couple time, we need to put them down! :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
21:45 Sep 21, 2022

You skillfully convey the passion and lust that occurs between these characters, yet you do this without being graphic. I think that’s difficult to do. We’ll done, Graham. Note: I’m not sure what “Head light from exhaustion” means.

Reply

Graham Kinross
23:33 Sep 21, 2022

Head light from exhaustion was meant to mean dizzy, now I’m reading it, it sounds more like a cat thing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shirley Medhurst
09:09 Sep 12, 2022

Very well and tastefully written! Certainly leaves nothing to the imagination - but you manage to say it all so tactfully. Bravo! 👏

Reply

Graham Kinross
10:42 Sep 12, 2022

Yes, hopefully it doesn’t cross too far into erotica. I’m not sure where the line is and I know that’s not for everyone. Hopefully the trigger warning is enough? Any suggestions?

Reply

Shirley Medhurst
11:32 Sep 12, 2022

I think you walk the tightrope perfectly 👏

Reply

Graham Kinross
12:26 Sep 12, 2022

That's very kind of you. Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Aoi Yamato
01:17 Feb 02, 2024

beatiful and sad at the same time.

Reply

Graham Kinross
07:33 Feb 02, 2024

That’s life.

Reply

Aoi Yamato
01:11 Feb 05, 2024

true.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.