The Skylight

Submitted into Contest #76 in response to: Write a story told exclusively through dialogue.... view prompt

4 comments

Drama Fiction Science Fiction

"I haven't done anything please let me go, let me go. Don't hurt me, please. Aaaa...Leave me, Irtiza. I don't want to stay a single moment with you. Don't kill me please I'm sorry!", cried Azula. "Fuck you! Just shut up! Shut up! Shut up! Stop barking, Azula, my dear. I'm not hurting you, I'm just writing my name on your..." "Ah...", screamed Eshaan. "Hey bro! Are you okay? What's the matter? What did you dream about?" asked Sarfaraz. "They are not dreams but the dark moments of my past, I cannot get over them, those moments are now haunting me; I think I must keep trying to call my mother's soul." "Come on, don't be silly; soon you'll forget every bad moment you had in your life." "But when and how?" "It's easy. Just remember the happiest moment you had in your life." "Look Sarfaraz, this is such a stupid and useless suggestion, and I know it's never going to work, so keep your suggestions to yourself." "Well, then the only option is the psychologist." "Hey, talking about psychologist reminds me of my last checkup; where are the reports and what do they say?" "Eshaan, the reports aren't good." "Ah I don't care if they are good or bad. Just let me give them a glance." "Hmm... These reports say that you were so depressed because of your mother's death that the depresssion-" "Has turned me into a psychopath and any time I can have episodes of anger and anxiety, and any moment I can go crazy even on little mental or environmental disturbances. Moreover, I may do anything such as killing someone etc; why in the world didn't you tell these results to me? I don't care bro I'm leavin'." "Hey wait!" "What?" Sarfaraz hugs Eshaan. "Okay, bye!", says Sarfaraz. Eshaan arrives at his home. "Ah! You're back", said Khushi. "Welcome back, dad! Did you have fun without me, with your friend?", said Atif. "Haha! Of course not, my love; hey Khushi, I want to talk to you in private." said Eshaan. "Yeah sure! what's the matter? You look tensed." "No, I'm not; I wanted to say that please go away from me because I'm no more safe for you and your son." "What do you mean you're not safe and since when did you forget that Atif is our son, not only my son?" "Look Khushi, you know that whatever I say or do is just for the benefit of our family, so do me a favor: leave me alone in this house and never come back; also take Atif with you." "Are you stupid or somethin'? Why should we leave?" "Because I said so and I'm warning you!" "Oh stop it, Eshaan, I'm not going to leave no matter if you're joking or serious." "I warned you." "Ahan... Now, let's go to bed; the sky is so dark; good night, Eshaan." 

The next night, in a dark room at 12:11 a.m.:

"I'll fulfill my promise, mom, and reanimate you as soon as possible!", claims Eshaan. Then, he ignites a matchstick, and throws it towards a skull, which he took from the body present inside a grave. He recites different spells he learnt from a powerful sorcerer, but nothing happened. "Ugh! Shit! Why isn't it working? Why aren't the fucking souls arriving! First of all, my useless wife isn't leavin' me; secondly, my past isn't allowing me to take mental rest; moreover, when I'm callin' the stupid souls or demons, they the hell aren't arriving! All this shit is making me go crazy as well as depressing me; what do I do?"

Three days later, at night at 11:32p.m.:

"Leave him, Eshaan! If you won't let him go, I'll call the police!" cried Khushi. "Shut up! You won't be calling anyone because I won't allow you to do so.", said Eshaan. Eshaan stabbed the knife in Atif's abdomen. "Such a cruel father you are!." "Ah! I may be cruel, but at least I'm not a father." "You killed my son, and now, I'll kill you!" "Well, okay. Go ahead." Khushi stands up to pick the pistol; Eshaan slaps her so hard that she falls down. "Aaa... Leave me, Eshaan", shouted Khushi. Then he stabs the knife in her neck. 

"Aaaa... Leave me, Irtiza", shouted Azula. Then Irtiza stabs the broken wine bottle in her neck. 

"I'll never forgive you, dad, for what you did; I know you're alive; one day, I'll approach you and kill you!", says Eshaan while buchering the dead bodies of Atif and Khushi; he then dumps the flesh and remains of the bodies and disappears; he then reappears in the room where he has preserved his mother's body. "Dear Father, if you're alive, I'll kill you, and if you're dead, then I wish you may receive lowest status in hell", says Eshaan, facing Azula's dead body, and starts crying.

Next morning at Eshaan's lab:

"Good morning, sir Eshaan!." "Ah good mornin', Hatif. Is the script converter doing well? Did you try any other story?" "Yes, sir. It's doing very well. I tried a story my sister wrote." "Nice; did it convert into a film?" "Yes, sir. Now, we just have to prepare ourselves for the presentation." "Which means that we are ready for tommorrow?" "Yes sir." "That's nice, and good bye." "Sir, aren't we preparing for the presentation?" "Why should we? It's our own effort, and I think we do not need anything except rest; now go and have some because I'm leavin'." "Err... Have a nice day, sir!"

The next day: 

"Sir, I have made a presentation out of the efforts you've made in the 'Script Converting Machine'. I hope you'll like it; sir, kindly have a look." "Professionally made! When will it be our turn?" "After a few seconds, sir." "Wish me luck!" "Best of luck, sir. May you receive a great success!" "I wish the same, Hatif." "Now, I would like to call Scientist Eshaan Irtiza to present his machine", anounces the host. Eshaan says, "Good mornin' everybody. Today, I'm here to present my new invention, called, 'The Script Converter'; I hope it could be a beneficial and profitable invention. Now let me tell you all the purpose of this machine; this is a machine which converts any written work into a motion picture. In this tray, we put the writing. The user is required to push this black colored button so that the process could proceed. The machine then scans that particular piece of art and after 60 seconds it displays a moving picture of the written story, novel etc on this screen below." "Mister Eshaan, do we have to insert any data regarding the characters or the environment of the movie?", asked Sir Sushant, a great scientist. "No, sir, all the data is self-generated except the idea of the story; the environment, the character faces etc can be inserted according to the user's will, but it isn't compulsory to insert such information because the system is designed in such a way that it can start it's working only with the help of the written story." "I'm impressed, Mister Eshaan Irtiza; this is a very useful and excellent invention of yours, and I think the Best Scientist Award of this year will soon be in your hands.", said Mrs. Riya. "Tommorrow, we will be holding the Award Ceremony", said Sir Farukh.

The next day: At the Ceremony.

  "I would like to invite the Best Scientist of this year on the stage: Mister Eshaan Irtiza", says the Judge, mr. Sushant. Eshaan arrives at the stage to receive his Award. "Thank you for all the respect you gave me, sir. I'm glad to have this Award, and I'll try to promote the growth of science throughout my life." Every Scientist at Eshaan's workplace is jealous of his success except his asistant, Hatif, but all of them are congratulating him. "Congratulations, sir", said Hatif. Eshaan hugs Hatif and says, "I couldn't have done this without your help! Thanks a lot, Hatif." "Sir, I want to congratulate you in a nicer manner." "What do you mean? What nicer manner? You've already congratulated me." "Yes, sir, but I really wanted to invite you to a dinner at my place, tonight; what do you say?" "Yeah, sure. Why not? I'd love to!" "Thank you, sir. Then, let's meet at 8:00p.m.? Okay?"

At Hatif's home: 08:00 p.m.

The bell rings. "Please come in, sir.", Hatif calls his servant, "Irtiza!.", then, to Eshaan, "Sir, what would you like to have before dinner? I mean, tea or coffee?" Eshaan passes a tricky and suspecious look to Hatif's servant, Irtiza, and says, "Wine!" "What? I mean, okay; Irtiza, go and bring a glass of wine", said Hatif. Irtiza goes to bring wine for Eshaan. Hatif faces the couch where Eshaan was sitting but surprisingly, Eshaan disappeared. "Sir? Sir?" Eshaan appeared in Hatif's kitchen. "Hey father, what the hell do you think? Think I didn't recognize you? It has been 17 years that I haven't seen your face, but how can I forget this face who killed my beloved mother?", said Eshaan. Then, he crushed Irtiza under the barrel of wine and went off. "Aaaa... Leave me, Eshaan", shouted Irtiza. "Glad to hear the same words that Mom said before dying; uttering out of your mouth, dad", said Eshaan.

Eshaan arrives at his house at 08:43 p.m.

"This time I'll reanimate you at any cost! Also, I have a good news for you, mother. I'm extremely happy and excited to tell that to you: I have taken the revenge for you. I killed Irtiza, your murderer and my useless father", said Eshaan, addressing Azula's dead body. "Now, let's get do it!", Eshaan recites the spells again, and then he says, "Oh creatures of the evil, demons of the darkness if you have arrived, give a sign of your presence!". His mother's body fell down. The demons have arrived. "Yeah! Oh living beings of the dark world, I'm aware of your presence; answer my call in your voice; appear infront of me; let's have a talk.", said Eshaan. Three Demons appeared infront of Eshaan, and answered,"Yes? What's the matter? What do you require from us?" "I want you to call a soul." "Whose soul?" "My mother's soul, her name is Azula." "Okay, tell us how did she die, and if she was killed, then tell us the murderer's name and also, is the murderer alive or dead?" "She was murdered by her cruel husband and my father named Irtiza; he stabbed a broken bottle of wine in her neck; I murdered Irtiza, my father, by crushing him under a barrel of wine; in other words, I took the revenge for my beloved mother, Azula; I want you people to find her soul, and send it to me, so that I could reanimate her and live my whole life happily with her." "Give us some time. We'll search for your mother's soul." The demons then disappear. Eshaan is so tired that he fell asleep near his mother's body.

The same night at 11:59 p.m.

"Eshaan! my son! Listen to me, I am back!" Eshaan wakes up to the mysterious voice he heard. "What the hell! Mother! Is it you callin' me? Can you listen to me?", Azula's body stands up, and heads towards Eshaan. "Come here, my son", says Azula. A demon had entered Azula's body; it isn't her soul. "Mom! I have achieved the aim of my life; I killed Irtiza for you; I became a scientist for you, but unfortunately, science couldn't help me reanimate you; now, I'm a sorcerer just for you, and happily, sorcery is the gate to my success; there is no big success except havin' you back in my dark life mom; I love you; this is most precious moment of my life." Azula hugs Eshaan and says, "So kind of you, my son. I also love you, but not more than your father." "What? What do you mean? He murdered you, and you still love him more than me? I murdered your murderer! Just to reanimate you was the reason of my existence; you broke my heart, mom!" "Shut up, Eshaan. I never commanded you to kill your father; I love him and I'll keep lovin' him; for him I can even kill you!" "What rubbish! I don't believe it's you who's sayin' this, mother." "You are a killer; you killed my husband, and now I'll kill you; you have no right to live a single moment!" Eshaan starts to cry and says,"YOU WERE THE SKYLIGHT TO THE DARK ROOM OF MY LIFE!". "AND NOW, YOU'LL BE MY SKYLIGHT." The Demon strangles Eshaan while he is still under the supposition that it's his mother's soul who entered the dead body. "Aaa... Leave me, mom!" shouts Eshaan. 

January 11, 2021 21:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Crystal Lewis
12:53 Jan 18, 2021

I liked the concept of your story and the ideas you had, but your story was extremely hard to read. A piece of advice for future stories: when a new person starts talking, you start a new line. That way it is very clear who is speaking and it doesn't kind of get smooshed in all together and confusing. Example: "What rubbish! I don't believe it's you who's sayin' this, mother." "You are a killer. You killed my husband and now I'll kill you. You have no right to live a single moment!" Eshaan starts to cry and says, "YOU WERE THE SKYLIGHT...

Reply

Sarah Mumtaz
18:02 Jan 18, 2021

Thanks a lot! it's my first story and I'll try my best to act upon your advice the next time. Your feedback matters a lot to me. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hafsa Mumtaz
16:12 Jan 17, 2021

This is a great story! I love how you have concluded the story. Crazy wishes as this one only lead to one's tragic end. Interesting plot! <3

Reply

Sarah Mumtaz
03:19 Jan 19, 2021

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.