Narrow Escape

Submitted into Contest #66 in response to: Write about a contest with life or death stakes.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure

Adventure, fun and risk. These three constituted the life of Alexis. Ever since she was born, she had shown a keen interest in exploring and adventuring , and other stuff that normal girls definitely wouldn't think of. Now she was a tall, sturdy, sporty girl of sixteen who went a high school with other teenagers. A girl so good in various sports and who dreams of adventure can hardly concentrate on other studies, and that is exactly the kind of girl Alexis is. Her grades suffered badly, which earned her some scoldings from her parents and teachers.

"You wont be able to get into a good college!" Her mom would say but little did she care.

" Subjects like science and maths are so boring." She would retort back.

----------

One fine morning, she opened her lazy eyes to the rays of the sun penetrating through her window. She checked phone for messages, excitement slowly dawning upon her pale face after reading one. She could hardly wait to tell her parents! She cascaded down the stairs of her three storey house, landed with a crash in front of her rich parents and looked at them with huge smile plastered across her face.

" Mom! Dad! You are not going to believe this. I have just been invited to Hyperbee adventure contest. Please can I go because its the biggest contest, lot of risky stuff to do and the prize money is unbelievable! " She said breathlessly.

Her mom and dad looked at each other, not approving this unusual invitation but their stubborn little determined daughter is not going to accept a 'no' so they might as well let her.

" Alright" Said her dad, " I shall let you go but only after I make a few calls to check if this contest is really safe."

'Wohooo' was her joyful response.


A week later, she found herself in a bus with her parents, going to the attend the biggest contest the 'Hyperbee' company is going to organize. The contest was going occur in a rainforest on the outskirts of the city. Proper training and equipments shall be provided for the survival in the forest. Participants are required to cross all kinds of hurdles within the forest, reach the finishing line occasionally guided by boards in the forest. Later that night, her parents left, as her dad has an important meeting. After a lot of hugs and kisses and tears from her mom, Alexis went to her respective tent.

She looked around at the huge forest, thick with various green leaves dancing in the breeze, the forest aroma filling her nostrils, while happiness continues to whirl around her. It was her dream. A dream to be in a place like this.


The following morning was the d-day. Excited teenagers were sporting about, some attatching protective gears to their waist.

" Welcome adventurers!" Spoke a man through the megaphone " It is my pleasure to have you all here. The whole purpose of this contest is to arouse the interest of the young to explore more and overcome objections with determination. You all are required to dash into the forest and cross the finishing line with the clues given. Start at the sound of the pistol."

And there were more regulations Alexis didn't bother to listen.

" 1, 2, 3 ....." and then a pistol shot.

Alexis dashed in her leather boots, as a strong breeze hit her face, into the dense forest. She looked at the peice of paper and the first clue was:' I screech and fulfill thirst of the winged' a river was her immediate thought but what kind of river screeches? A river that makes sound...a waterfall! This river feeds winged birds. She scrutinized for a place similar in the map, found a vulture river. This should be it.

Running in place like this was difficult, she kept tripping over tree roots and the sticky goo kept slapping her face. She almost reached the waterfall, when she heard a roar. What? There werent supposed to be wild animals in this area. She climbed a banyan tree as a wild boar came running towards her. Her heart thumped. The boar is required to go, otherwise its less likely she going to get out of there alive. She waited in the tree, while she carved a pointed spear out of a long branch in the banyan tree, which she threw at the boar. It missed, but it was enough to scare the boar away. But little did she know the banyan tree was home to poisonous cobras. Her body paralysed while a large cobra slithered across her chest, unaware of the edible human its upon. She kept still, not knowing how she is going to get out of there alive if these are the kind of dangers she will be facing.

Hyperbee company had promised that there wouldnt be life threatening situations. Were the others facing the same? She wondered. She slowly clambered out of the tree and quickly ducked as a huge cobra tried to attack her with its poisonous fangs.

Then she ran and kept running until she reached the waterfall. Finally! Thank god she watched James Bond movies. Otherwise survival would not have been possible.

Her other thoughts were drowned by the sound of the waterfall, cool rush of the water created a hopefull bubble within her. Calm down, adventurers werent supposed to be this scared, she consoled herself.

She continued her search for a second clue, contantly annoyed by her tousled black hair flying on face.

She looked deep into the water and saw extremely pretty fishes playing around a curious object.

Maybe she should get inside the river and retrieve it. She thought. She dug in her bag for a protective top, and dived into the cool water, and found a metal box. It should have the second clue, but her conscience made her dimly aware of the fact that someone was watching her.

'Its just a needless feeling' , she tried to convince herself.

Suddenly, she saw a man dressed in black on top of the waterfall push a huge rock towards her. The rock was now free falling in through the waterfall, acquiring velocity as it came towards her. She had to think quick. Moving sideways is an option but the rock is extremely huge and there wasnt time. The rock is getting closer and closer. She looked up the dense trees for help and there she saw a branch. With a rush of adrenaline she hoisted herself on top of the branch and sighed with relief as the rock furiously sped below her.

'Oh my god! There was someone dressed in black. This person was deliberately trying to kill me.' She thought. After this incident, she was convinced the boar was no accident.

There was something wrong with the whole contest and somebody was determined not to let her out alive. But who? why on earth? And most importantly, will she survive the awaiting danger?

She was no James Bond, just an ordinary teenager and for the first time, she felt petrified and scared. What she seeked was help and escape. Second clue was no use to her now, she did not want to run into more danger. She got lucky escaping it three times.


Alexis now tried to return back to where she had started but not surprisingly, someone erased the pathways. She is trapped in a dense jungle, while hoplessness slowly engulfed her. She sat on the branch of a tree thinking deeply. If there is danger and no hope on the ground, she is going to run through the branches of harmless trees, she would like to see what the man can do to her now.

She hoped from one branch to another like a pro and jumped on the ground after quite long time.

No sooner did her feet touch the ground, than the man dressed in black confronted her and with a slimy grin across his masked face, lifted her and threw her into a marsh.

" Ahhh " she screamed. " Why are you doing this? Does my death bring you happiness"

" Not happiness" said the man. " But 1 million dollars. You see, your dad shall pay Hyperbee company after I kidnap you."

" There is a difference between kidnapping and killing you know." She said defiantly.

The man calmly said, " And as for that, its better being dead than being torchured alive. You are dumb. You live to chase adventure but you have no brain. Did you think Hyperbee was stupid enough to organize a useless contest without an actual purpose? Maybe your dad will realise the consequences of his previous actions when he becomes aware of his dear daughter's state. Anyways, good luck surviving." And with these words, he sped of leaving Alexis nonplussed and dumbfounded.

It was a plan, she realised while truth finally dawned upon her. To trap her and her dad.

They organized the contest knowing she would attend it, and used it as a payback to her dad.

Stupid her. She had to be stubborn and where did it lead her? She thought, while struggling to get out of the marsh with her fruitless efforts. She was slowly sinking in, she screamed and screamed for help but no use.

Marshy gas filled her lungs as she gasped and spluttered as mud entered her mouth. This is it. This is how she was going to die.


A little while later, Alexis opened her eyes. This is not death, she thought. You wouldnt be able to see if you died.

Then a boy's face loomed over her, scaring her so she screamed , got up and jumped rapidly. " Calm down! calm down !" The boy said with a concern on his face. " You are going to be okay. I just saved your life."

Alexis crossed her arms. " Really? Sorry but I dont trust you. You could be Hyperbee's helper or someone trying to kill me." She said indignantly.

" Yeah right. And thats why I tried so hard to save your life." He said.

"Okay so are not a bad guy. Thanks for rescueing me." She mumbled. " How did you find me?"

" Well I am contestant, but I kind of got confused with the clue and landed up in this restricted place. And that's when you screamed like a banshee. I am Jack by the way. You?"

" I am Alexis. Someone from Hyperbee tried to kill me quite a number of times because of something my dad did. Oh and this whole point of the contest was to lure me." She responded.

" Woah! I didnt know the whole theory. So the company is a fraud? "

" Yeah its a fraud." She muttered.

Jack was oddly handsome, with jet black her and soft brown, gentle eyes. But she cant concentrate on that now, she must scavenge for an escape.

" Run!" Jack bellowed, as an angry man with a gun jumped from nowhere.

Both of them ran and ran, but found all corners blocked by the men. Their hands and feet were soon tied up and thrown into a cave.

" Now what are we going to do ? We really cant help us out in this situation." Said Alexis.

" We cant but maybe that monkey can." Said Jack, pointing at a small monkey at the corner of the cave. " I have quite a hand with animals. They tend to like me you know." He continued, with an air of pride.

The he made a weird gurgled sound and the monkey trotted up to him, much to the surprise of Alexis.

The monkey untied or did something like that with its tiny hands, freeing them both.

They looked around to find the men sleeping soundly, much to their advantage.

They quietly tiptoed to the entrance and dashed , the monkey still on Jack' s shoulder.


It was dark, the forest looked deadly, wild animal's cries echoed through the darkness and creepy insects set to crawl about, searching for food. Alexis and Jack wandered, trying to find a safe path and a light of hope somewhere. Jack may have friendly touch with animals, but he cant control poisonous creatures.

They were tired. Nothing could be done at this time.

Alexis slept on a branch of the tree, while Jack slept on the ground, with the monkey on his stomach.


Alexis woke up the next day, to find familiar faces surrounding her. She was outside the forest, lying on a mattress." Mom! Dad!" Shouted Alexis as she ran forward and hugged them, crying hard. " Thank god you are safe. Dad Hyperbee is a fraud. It was a trap. I am so sorry!" She said.

" Dont worry dear. I sorted everything. All is well and I am so glad you are safe. You see, you foiled their little plan. They were threatening me but they failed to show me where you were. I knew you will never give up and brave girl like you cant fail to escape. Nevertheless, I was terified. I notified the police, who came undercover into the forest and found you and a boy. Hyperbee is facing charges, and people who helped them are caught. " reasoned out her dad.

Alexis sighed in relief.

" Dad, " she said." Do you have any idea where the boy is? "

" He is over there with his monkey entertaining the crowd. " Replied her dad.


Alexis has never been this happier. She found herself a new friend.She trotted up to Jack, who was the main reason she was alive and smiled at him. " Hey there animal guy. "

And then they conversed for a long time.


The crazy adventure was finally over. All is well.






















November 06, 2020 10:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.