0 comments

Suspense Friendship Fiction

Me and my friend are walking back home from the park. All the houses in that neighborhood were empty, except one.

“That is the old witch’s house” my friend says, pointing to the house with a green light glowing.

“How do you know? Are you even sure she is a witch in the first place?” I ask him.

“I don’t know but Alex and the other boys in school say that she is. Do you think she is a witch, Darby?”

“I don’t know. I have never seen her before.”

Just then a figure comes close to the window. It was neither slouched nor perfectly straight.

“Look, it’s the witch” Noah said. He took my hand and pulled me. We both ran back home without stopping.

I reached home and told my mom and dad about everything. I had my dinner and then went to sleep, thinking about what I saw and if there was an actual witch living in that house.

“Morning Darby.”

“Hey Noah. I have been thinking about the witch. Do you want to go and check out her house?”

“Why would you want to do that?”

“I am just curios, and I know you are to.”

“I am, but only a bit.”

“Great, then let’s go after school. I will tell my parents that I am going to one of your friend’s house with you to finish up a group project and that I will be back home in the morning because I will be sleeping over at your house.”

“Okay, what should I tell my parents?”

“Simple. Just say that you are going to finish up a group project at one of your friend’s house with me, don’t give a name. then tell them you are having a sleep over at my house so you will be back home in the morning.”

“Okay. And it is perfect timing.”

“Why?” I ask him.

“Every full moon night, there is no one in her house. They say that she flies on her broom to a secluded area near the mountains where she meets all her other witches.”

“Okay, that’s good then. We don’t want her in the house when we are there.”

“Bye Darby. Got to head to class. See you later.”

“Bye Noah”. We both leave for our classes.

After school is over, I meet Noah outside. On the way back home, I explain the plan to him.

Once we reach home, we both tell our parents what we had decided on and then pretend to get textbooks, notebooks and school stuff but instead we pack the supplies we need. After I leave my house, I wait for Noah. He comes out in a few minutes and we head to the creepy house.

“Did you take all the supplies I asked you to?” I ask him.

“Yup. I took a flashlight, my phone and some chocolate bars. What did you get?”

“I got the same things but instead of chocolate bars I found a witchfinder in my house. I don’t know if it is fake or if it actually works. I also got some lemon sweets and I printed out a page that tells us the signs of a witch.”

“Wow, you packed a lot more than me.”

“It seems I did.”

For the rest of the way, we went over the plan.

Once we reached the creepy, spooky house. I took a deep breath, trying to calm the butterflies in my stomach.

“Are you one hundred percent sure that she is not at home or are you just up in the air?”

“I am not 100% sure, maybe 80-90%. But I heard that someone has seen the witch fly off. If she is there, we will just run out of the house, right?”

“Of course. I don’t want to be there if she is.’’

“Let’s go in now, if you still want to, don’t bite the bullet.”

“It’s okay, I still want to go inside” I told him. After I said that, he opened the door.

We both expected bats to come out, so we covered our faces. But none came. We went into the house, as soft as mice and as slow as a white cloud in the sky.

“I will switch on my flashlight; you turn yours on later. That way we can use the light later too”, I told Noah.

“I am fine with that, as long as I can see what is in front of me.”

“Don’t worry, that won’t be a problem.”

After a while of walking, Noah says, “This place is so dirty and stinky. And we are only on the first floor. I can’t even imagine what it will be like on the next floor.”

“I know, it stinks here. But there is nothing very interesting here. Can we go to the next floor now itself?”

“Sure, no problem.”

We climb up the flight of stairs. On the stairway, there are a few drops of some kind of liquid that are glowing. A dull green glow.

“Make sure not to touch the liquid, Noah.”

“I wasn’t going to, but thanks.”

We reach the second floor and see two rooms in front of us.

“Which room do you choose Darby?” Noah asks me.

“Let’s go in the first one.”

“Sure.”

I open the door and head inside. Noah follows behind me. I see a bed covered with black colored clothes.

“I think this is one sigh that she is a witch” Noah says.

“There is just a balcony here” I say.

I try opening the door to the balcony.

“It’s locked.”

“I don’t a key anywhere Darby.”

I glace at my watch and say, “We have been here for about an hour, let’s leave the balcony and just head to the second round.”

We both leave the first room and head to the other room.

Noah opens the door and as the last one, we see nothing.

“Maybe she has put some kind of spell that doesn’t allow us to see anything she uses for a spell” Noah suggests.

Just when I was about to say something, I heard the door open. I put my finger on my lips, trying to tell Noah to be quiet. He understands and I switch off the torch light. We both hear some muttering and mumbling coming downstairs. Slowly and softly, we headed down the stairs. Our timing was so lucky, just when were very close the lady went to further away from the staircase and door.

“Let’s make a run for it now” Noah says.

“I would love that.”

We both made a run for it. Noah opened the door so fast that I thought it would fall off. We both ran as fast as we could.

July 16, 2021 14:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.