The Magic of the Library

Submitted into Contest #91 in response to: Set your story in a library, after hours.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction

Annie is ten years old the first time she goes to the library. When Annie enters the library she sees a place of wonder, magic and adventure. Annie bounces up and down with excitement. She can't wait to get start on reading the books.

Annie goes to the children's section of the library and sets her sights on the fairy tales. Annie loves reading fairy tales. Her favorite is Cinderella. Annie picks up the book, finds a cozy spot in the corner of the library sits down and begins to read.

Annie goes to the library every single day and does the exact same thing. She finds a book, finds a cozy spot in the corner of the library sits down and begins to read.

Then one winter day Annie goes to the library, she stays for the entire day and evening and doesn't notice a winter storm coming in. All the lights in the library are beginning to shut off. Annie takes out her flash light and continues to read. Annie doesn't notice she's the only one in the library.

When Annie doesn't hear any one she gets up from her corner and goes to explore the library. Annie says to herself.

"No one is here. Time to explore."

Annie goes to each section of the library looking at all the books. She finds the adult section of the library to be boring so Annie goes back to the children's section.

Annie picks more books not only fairy tales, but books about space, fantasy, books about animals, mythical books, books about princes and princesses and so much more. Annie begins to read.

The library is silent as Annie beings to read her book about animals, but little did Annie know that in a matter of minutes her books would come to life.

In the shadows of the library Annie's space adventure book is slowly coming to life. Annie doesn't realize what's happening. Annie is too engrossed in her book.

Annie is reading her book about animals when she hears a noise coming from the back of the library. Annie goes to investigate. Annie moves slowly through the library, then she comes upon the space adventure book lying on the floor. Annie picks up the book and sees the book has no pictures or words. Annie doesn't know what to make of this.

Annie hears footsteps coming her way. Annie freezes in terror. She sees a figure that is big, bigger than anything she has ever seen. The figure comes closer to Annie. Annie steps back. The figure keeps on coming. Annie starts to run, the figure tells Annie to stop, so she stops. The figure comes out of the shadows and what appears before Annie is an astronaut. The astronaut tells Annie.

"Don't be afraid my young friend for it is I astronaut man from the space adventure."

Annie can't believe her eyes. It's one of the characters from her book. Annie goes up to astronaut man and shakes his hand.

"How did you come to be alive?" Annie asks

Astronaut man replies. "We only come out for our most special friends."

Annie smiles

"I'm your special friend."

Astronaut man nods

"What should we do first?" Annie asks

"Grab my hand."

Annie grabs Astronaut man's hand. He tells Annie to hold on. Astronaut man takes Annie into his world of space adventure. Astronaut man lets go of Annie's hand. He tells Annie to open her eyes.

When Annie opens her eyes, she see's she's on board a space ship. Annie excitedly bounces up and down and runs around the space ship looking at all the different gadgets.

"What do we do first?"

"Anything you want."

"Can I drive the ship?"

Astronaut man nods

Annie gets behind the wheel of the ship. Astronaut man tells Annie to grad a hold of the controls which she does. Then he tells Annie to drive. Annie is driving the ship. She can't believe it. Annie is smiling widely as she speeds through space.

"Is this even real. Me driving a space ship."

Astronaut man smiles

"What's next?"

"Let your imagination take you where ever you want to go." Astronaut man tells Annie

Annie closes her eyes and in an instance she's underwater. When Annie turns around Astronaut man is no longer himself, he is now the Captain of a submarine named the Nautilus.

"Oh my god this is so cool. I'm underwater."

"Hello my friend it is I Captain Nemo."

Annie waves

"Lets go on an adventure."

Annie nods

Annie is now driving the Nautilus while Captain Nemo is telling Annie all about the sea creatures.

"My friend what you see here under this great ocean is so many different kinds of sea creatures. Up head are whales and dolphins. On your left are Angel fish, clown fish and a giant shark."

Annie is amazed at all the sea creatures and she smile whenever Captain Nemo does his crazy dance.

Annie once again closes her eyes and is now back in the space ship with astronaut man.

"Having a great time my friend?"

"The best time.

Annie smiles

"How do I get back?"

"Close your eyes."

Annie closes her eyes and is now back in the library.

"Wow is this all a dream."

Annie picks up the space adventure book and puts it back in the shelve. Annie goes back to her little corner and begins to read her favorite book Cinderella.

When Annie is finished reading Cinderella she looks up and sees the fairy godmother from Cinderella. Annie jumps up in surprise, then she sees the fairy godmother magically turn the library into a castle.

"Come my dear."

"Where are we going?"

"To have a tea party with Cinderella."

Annie grabs the fairy godmother's hand. She leads Annie into a grand room where Cinderella is sitting at the head of the table. Annie takes a seat across from Cinderella.

"My sweet girl."

"Oh My God! Is it really you Cinderella?"

"It is my sweet girl."

Annie can't believe her favorite book came to life. Cinderella is sitting right across form her. The tea is served. Annie and Cinderella talk about all kinds of things from clothes to books. At the stroke of midnight the fairy godmother comes to take Cinderella. Annie waves goodbye. The Fairy godmother transport Cinderella back into the book and turns the castle back into the library.

"Is this all for real or just my imagination. My books are real."

Annie goes back to her corner in the library, sits down and closes her eyes.

The next morning Annie's mother comes looking for her. The librarian opens the door for Annie's mother. She goes inside and looks for Annie in the children's section. Annie's mother spots Annie sleeping in the corner. Annie's mother wakes her up.

"Annie I was scared the whole night."

"Mommy is that you."

"Yes sweetie it's me. Let's go home."

Annie goes home with her mother. Annie wonders if last night was a dream. She turns around and sees Astronaut man, Captain Nemo, Fairy godmother and Cinderella waving to her. Annie waves back.

Annie goes back to the library to read her books and to go on adventures with her new friends.

Annie loves the Magic of the Library.

April 27, 2021 21:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.