0 comments

General

My feet pounded the pavement, puffs of smoke emanated from between my frost bitten lips as I began to tighten my fist around the crumpled bills that a good Samaritan gave me earlier in the day. I needed to get to the store on Lenox before they closed up shop for Christmas. It was rare when I came into ownership of such a large sum of money. Well, large for me. I needed something to wear that would keep the winter chill at bay. 

The shop came into view, it’s glass window spattered with handwritten signs. The hardwood front door had seen better days, but no one was buying secondhand anymore so there wouldn’t be much money to be made to make repairs, yet it was one of the few places in New York that would let someone like me make a purchase let alone walk through the doorway. An old rusted bell jingled above the door as I pushed it open. The grooves in the floorboard were etched so deeply that they had become a record of the numerous customers that had come and gone over the decades. 

A small wizened man stood behind the counter, his glasses propped up on a large nose that was already red due to the cold. His eyes were always warm and inviting despite the smell I knew that emanated from me. Baths were a luxury I couldn’t afford. 


“Here for the coat?”


I nodded enthusiastically and placed the warm, crumpled bills on the counter. He counted them out and turned to head to the back of the store. A month ago I wandered in and he saw my eyes light up when I saw the thick warm overcoat; he waltzed over and told me it was half off. Of course I couldn’t afford it at the time, but he was willing to put it aside for me until I could. Now one month later I will be able to purchase my first coat in years. 

He walked back with the coat hung over his arm, the thick brown wool was rich and seemed to have withstood the test of time. It would help against the windy and snowy nights that have begun to plague the city and will continue to until April. I watched him pull off the tags, barely suppressing the urge to snatch it from his old freckled hands. The fact that he had been kind enough to lower the price and hold it for me reminded of the few manners I still possessed. Manners didn’t get you far on the streets, yet I didn’t want to be rude to this man. He extended his arm, a warm smile lighting his blue eyes, I grabbed it and immediately slipped the warm material over my cold shivering body. It was as comfortable as I thought it would be, the material was soft, not scratchy like other wool coats, emerald green lining gave it a flare that made me feel a little more stylish, a little more New York. I said a quick thanks and waved goodbye while making my way out onto the new york street. 

Night had fallen early and I walked over to the park where I could hide under the bridge for a few hours until ten p.m. Not smart for  woman to stay there later than that, even for someone as gritty as me. My footsteps echoed as I walked underneath the bridge. I slipped down onto the ground landing on a piece of worn cardboard. The coat hugged me as if it was made for me, tailored, but roomy so I can keep my layers on. Sighing I rested my head against the water stained wall and listened to the early evening runners make their way through. I was invisible, yet warm, finally. I had been dreaming of this coat for weeks. No more chattering teeth as I walked the streets, no more neck and back pains from shivering through the night. I would be warm for once in a long time. I slipped my hands into the pockets and felt a small rectangular outline in the right pocket located inside the lining. Flipping the pocket inside out I noticed the shape through the material and followed the edge until I noticed a small line of stitching with a piece of thread hanging from the edge, I pulled. The seam came undone. I slipped my two fingers into the seam and pulled on the object, being careful not to rip whatever it was. A small black and white photo emerged showcasing a very happy couple on their wedding day. Flipping it over there was a loving message written:

To Adele with all my love, I know I am not a rich man, but hopefully this coat will keep you warm while I am away from your arms. 


Je t’aime,

Arnold


In smaller print located at the bottom was an address:


21 East 4th street 

New York, N.Y. 10001


The sound of shouting brought me back to the present. I watched a group of rowdy young men make their way closer to the bridge. I hurried out the park. They looked like the group that had assaulted an older homeless man that hung out near the pond. I began to walk south with no destination in mind, there was nowhere for me to go until late. I usually spent the night near a hospital in an emptier part of the city. The staff there let me sleep behind it, but I had to wait until it was pretty late before I could go there. I fingered the photo. My feet moved before my mind made the decision to go there. I don’t know what possessed me, but their smiling faces made me think of warm home and a loving family. 

An hour later I was standing on the sidewalk outside a townhouse that was identical to the other ones on the street and screamed of money. I guess Arnold made a pretty penny after the war. The windows were lit from within and I could see an older woman who resembled the smiling face in the photo. I watched her stare at something in her lap, a pair of silver framed glasses perched on her nose. She raised her hands and the book came into view. She flipped through slowly smiling at something amusing. She looked like a kind woman. The kind of woman who must have a gaggle of grandkids and loving children. The book slipped from her fingers as she reached up and grabbed her chest. I watched her mouth open and close like a fish out of water as she slipped from the chair out of view. I raced up the stairs and banged on the door, screaming for someone to help. No answer. I grabbed a stone that had come loose from her walk and scaled the ledge to the window. By sheer force of will I was able to smash the glass, open the latch and push it up just enough for me to slip through. 

The carpeting softened my tumble from the window where she lay in a prone position. I grabbed the phone from the small end table, dialed 911 while I proceeded to perform CPR on her. 


“Come on Adele!”


“Come on!”


“Arnold!!”


I screamed his name hoping he would be somewhere in the huge house. Silence. I watched her eyes flutter open and then close. I kept pumping her chest, my nurse training coming through. 


“Come on, Adele stay with me.”


Sirens got closer while I continued to talk to her.


“Adele please stay with me.”


Banging on the front door. 


“I can’t open it! I’m performing CPR!”


One of the E.M.T.’s made his way through the broken window and took over. I ran, unlocking the door and jumped out of the way while they rushed in.


“She keeps coming in and out of consciousness.”


“What is her name.”


“Adele.”


The younger E.M.T set out the stretcher and proceeded to put her onto the it after she was able to maintain a normal heart rhythm. As they wheeled her past me she reached out and grabbed my arm. I tried to pry her hand off, but the serious look in her eyes and the iron grip stilled me. 


“We gotta move her.”


I followed them into the ambulance and sat while they worked on her. She never took her eyes off of me while she responded to cognitive questions. We arrived at the hospital and I was forced to stay by her side while they transferred her to a bay in the E.R. The doctors and nurses asked routine questions and all the while she never let go of my arm. Finally the doctor decided that she needed testing and to be observed overnight. 


“Are you family?”


The doctor scrutinized my attire. Before I could respond Adele slipped the oxygen mask from her face.


“She’s my daughter.”


The strength in Adele’s voice surprised me more than the outright lie. Clearing his throat the doctor nodded. I was told to sit in the waiting room while they ran tests. 


“Don’t leave.” 


Her stern voice commanded me to stay. I honestly don’t know why I stayed, but the force of this woman’s will made it impossible to leave. It only occurred to me after I was notified that she was in a room, while  being brought to see her that she may want me to stay to get her coat back. I walked into her room while a night nurse was checking her vitals. She was sitting up, and even sitting I could see she was a tall woman. Her sleek white hair managed to stay slicked back from a fine boned face, her eyes settled on me and I froze. The nurse left and she continued to stare at me until I began to fidget. 


“Sit.”


I sat in the soft chair next to her bed. I waited for her to say something. When she didn’t I began to babble. I began apologizing for breaking her window, she raised her hand stopping me.


“Windows can be replaced.”


I waited. 


“Thank you for saving my life.”


I nodded. 


“The coat you are wearing..”


“I know, I bought it in a thrift store.”


I reached into the pocket and handed her the photo. I watched as tears filled her eyes. She began telling me about Arnold. He was a painter from France, with no prospects except for a love and talent for art. She came from a rich family who expected her to marry well and he was definitely not their first choice.


“When the war reached France he went back home to fight for his homeland and swore he would come back.”


She sniffled. 


“That coat was the only thing he could afford to get me, even the wedding was sparse.”


I grabbed the box of tissues on the table and handed it to her.


“My family didn’t attend and my father swore he would cut me off, he didn’t of course, but…”


Her voice broke.


“I would have traded it all for him to have come back home.”


“He didn’t survive?”


She shook her head.


“I got a letter from his cousin that he died, and at eighteen I became a widow.”


Silence fell over the room, rhythmically broken by the beeping of the monitors. 


“So, you want the coat back?”


She turned toward me, her red eyes roaming over my face. 


“I do, but it seems like you may need it more.”


“No, it’s okay, if I had a love like that I wouldn’t want to part with his gift.”


I stood and began slipping the coat off, the loss of warmth making me sad, but it was nothing compared to Adele’s pain.


“May I ask you a rather personal question?”


I nodded and sat laying the coat beside her. 


“Why are you homeless? I know circumstances in this city can be rather hard, but you managed to save my life and I heard you talking to the men like you knew what you were doing; were you a doctor?”


“Nurse, actually.”


“What happened?”


“Messy divorce, abusive influential husband and when the dust settled I had nothing, not even my job.”


Her eyes darkened and I could feel her anger gathering on my behalf. She sat up straighter and asked me a series of questions that began to make me sweat, yet I couldn’t help, but answer every one in detail. I watched her process the information and reach for the phone.


“Joe this is Adele, I’m at St. Mark’s hospital and I need you contact Larry Stevens at Wagner.”


I tensed, Larry was the name of my ex’s husband lawyer, the little snake ruined my life. Why was she calling him?


“Yes give him this number and tell him to call me immediately.”


She slammed the phone down. I waited silently unable to form words. Not even a minute passed and the phone rang. 


“Larry, yes it’s Adele.”


The conversation that ensued was so far beyond my understanding, words like, “litigation” and “bodies are buried” were tossed around and after ten minutes she slammed the phone down. 


“You will stay with me and give me one week, after that you will have your old life back with interest.”


“Who are you?”


“I’m the woman that powerful men don’t want to face in a courtroom.”


Her tone and presence silenced any and all arguments. She waited for me to respond. My mouth went dry, it took me several tries to respond. 


“Ok.”


Hospital rounds in the morning were hard, but I didn’t let it get to me. A double shot of espresso worked wonders when you’re pulling a double shift, but I was used to it. Compared to my life before I didn’t complain. I loved this. The demanding hours, the arrogant doctors and the patients that stayed a part of you long after they were discharged. My life was golden and I had no reason to complain and every reason to be thankful. I sipped my coffee while our head nurse Nancy Gonzales gave out orders. 


“Mari Lopez?”


“Yes.”


“Congratulations, you are Dr. Tran’s scrub nurse for the week, welcome back to the O.R.”


I had to keep from jumping up and down. My old life back with interest! Adele wasn’t kidding! 


“So I’m handing off your patients to the other nurses, go meet with his resident and get yourself familiarized with his surgeries.”


I nodded and sped out of there like a demon was at my heels. I rushed to the main desk to ask who Dr. Tran’s resident was this week when I watched the tall striking woman in heels stand with her arms crossed refusing to deal with the male nurse in front of her.


“Adele?”


Adele turned and her face warmed, “I asked this imbecile where you were and he was less than helpful.”


“Adele!” My stern voice softened her face. 


“I apologize young man, but since I don’t have many years left, I do not like to wait.”


“Adele, what is it? I thought we were meeting for dinner on Friday?”


“Yes, but this can’t wait.” She pulled out a folder and placed several papers onto the desk counter. 


“Please sign here, and here, and here.”


I grabbed the pen and began signing. She gathered the papers beaming at me.


“What did I just sign?”


“You are now legally entitled to inherit everything.”


“Inherit?”


“Yes, when I die you get everything.”


“Wait, what, why?”


Her face warmed and she reached out to give me a tight hug.


“In the past I only had one great love in my life and now I am lucky enough to have two.”


“Adele.” My voice hitched.


“Shh little one, we are family and family takes care of each other.”


Tears slipped from my eyes and she smiled wider. 


“Now get back to work and I will tell you the finer details on Friday my dearest.”


She shooed me away with her well manicured hands and walked confidently to the elevator bay, her stiletto heels echoing sharply throughout the lobby.


I wiped the tears from my face and began shaking my head. Laughter bubbled up. What the hell? All of this because I found a photo in a coat. I stared up at the ceiling and thought of their smiling faces in black and white. 


“You would have had an awesome time with her Arnold.”


“Ms. Lopez?!”


Nurse Gonzales’ abrupt shout cut throat my revelry.


“Yes! I’m on my way!”


I began speed walking from her view. Shaking my head I continued to laugh.



December 07, 2019 04:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.