Beginning to end of motherhood

Submitted into Contest #20 in response to: Write a story about a day in the life of a mother.... view prompt

1 comment

General

Being a mother isn't an easy job, it's a hard and dedicated responsibility. Raising a child isn't all sunshine and rainbows, there are gloomy and rainy days contributed to it.

In the beginning, it's all about learning and caring for the new life you brought into this world. Some days you would be so happy, but other days you try to understand how women can do this. Everyday is a challenge as you wake up in the middle of the night or stay up as your baby needs you, but it's all worth it as each passing day is memorable. Then later on in the months, they began to move more often, they make noises to grab your attention or just for their own fun, they start to make expressions which pulls at your heart strings and acknowledges you that they are growing. 

••••••••••••

Resting on the couch as your child lies in their bassinet. You think to yourself if I sleep right now will I get enough rest for the rest of the day. You've changed countless diapers, breastfeed your child until your nipples felt numb and raw, rock and cuddle your child until your arms felt like falling off, but it was all worth it. You looked into the bassinet, watching your child as they slept. You laid back on the couch, your eyes slowly closing, and tiredness taking over you.

'Wah!' You wake up and tend to your child. You got used to your child's cry as it's their voice to alert you that they need something. You held them in your arms as they fed on your breast, you gently pat their back, to comfort them. Your eyes slowly closing, but your still conscious. A little rest of the eyes can help. You know after the feeding, your child will need to be burped then need your attention and for their diaper to be changed. 

••••••••••••

Work is necessary to pay for the necessitates your child needs and to make ends meet, but can make you feel alone as you miss your child, but know they are fine as they stay at daycare, grandparents, siblings, or your significant other. There are times where you have to miss work as your child becomes sick and needs to go to pediatrician's or needs to get their checkup, but it's all worth it as you get to spend time with them and be grateful that they are healthy and fine.

The toddler years are difficult as the child becomes more curious and mischievous or they discover their true selves. When the child turns one, its emotional as you've watched your child grow from being born to now. They soon learn or already learned how to walk and talk. Sometimes the child can be defiant, sweet, innocent, clingy, angelic, playful, or curious, but it's the child learning different emotions and expressions to express themselves and to understand what they mean. They are more active and need attention. Daycare and preschool comes in handy as they begin to become independent, make friends, and gain knowledge.

••••••••••

"Bab,Bab,Bab," Your child squealed, holding a plastic cube in their hand

"Well, aren't you excited," You sat in front of your child, making sure they don't harm themselves

Your child started to babble on and on, but you loved it as they tried to communicate with you and are trying to learn.

°°°°

"Over here, that's right, good," You motivated your child as they walked towards you by holding onto the edge of the table 

You felt pride and happiness coursing through your body as you watched your child on it's two feet, struggling to walk towards you. You were shocked and afraid when they stood on their feet, but immediately encouraged them. They shakily walked to you, they paused at the end of the table and looked at you while babbling. You waited for them to walk to you, but they walked to the other side of the table, leaving you left alone. You let out a laugh and carefully watched them

••••••••••

Childhood comes into place. School now begins for them. The first day of school can be a fright for them as they are being alone with random people. You comforting them, telling them it's going to be fine and your going to have fun as you'll make friends, learn about things, and play with the other children. You having feelings of letting your child out of your sight, but you've probably dealt with it at daycare or leaving them with family members, but elementary school is a whole different level as they embark on a new journey in life or make a new chapter for themselves. You've watched them since they were babies to waddling toddlers and now to talkative, active kids. Now, countless homework and projects are now on the agenda as they gain more knowledge and start to become more engaged into work or into school. You continuously think to yourself if your child is fine, are they making friends, is school hard for them, or if they miss you. Your child is growing everyday mentally, emotionally and physically and there is happiness accompanied with sadness as they grow and become independent, not asking much from you, but when they do, you feel happy and remember memories of when they were young. 

•••••••••••

"Mama, vhere are ve?" Your child asked as you both walked towards the school doors

"Baby, were at your new school," You told them

"Zchool? I already vent to zchool"

"No, baby that was daycare, but it's the same as school," 

"Is it zcary?"

"No, you'll have fun as you make new friends and learn new things," You told them as you walked to their classroom

"Vell, you be there, mama?" 

"No, it's the same as daycare, but I'll be here when you come out of school," You told them, stopping in front of the classroom

"You're leaving me again,mama," Your child pouted, tears welling in their eyes

You bend down to comfort your child.

"I'm not leaving you, baby. I'm coming back once school is over. I want you to have fun and learn about the world around you," 

"You promise," they held out their pinky

"I promise, baby," You intertwined your with theirs

"I love you and I only want the best for you," You kissed their forehead

•••••••••••

Preteens and teens are all about them knowing themselves, but also a trivia for you. Their body changing as well as their mood. Them experiencing new challenges mentally, physically, and emotionally. Relationships come and go, and heartbreak comes. You comfort them, but sometimes the relationship between the both of you has ups and downs as you both argue at each other, but in the end make up as mother and child relationships are precious.

•••••••••••

"I said I don't want to talk about it," Your child said, angrily walking towards their room

"Hey, don't walk away from me," You set the dry plates on the counter

You walked after them as they threw their backpack on their bed. 

"What's wrong?" You asked them

"Nothing," They said, taking off their shoes

"I can tell something's wrong, so just tell me, please,"

"Its nothing, mom. I just had a stressful day at school,"

"I can tell, it's not about school, so just tell me. Are you being bullied? Is someone maki-"

"Mom, it's nothing like that. No ones bullying me," They reassured you

"Then what? I can't stand this,"

"Its a stupid reason, mom,"

"Its not a stupid reason if your all anxious and upset about it," You said, sitting down in front of them 

They didn't say anything, just staring at their lap.

"Please, tell me. Remember that I'm older than you and I probably went through the experience you're going through," You reassured them

"He lied to me. He told me that he liked me and wanted me to be their significant other, but I heard that he has a girlfriend already," Your child let out a breath, "So, I confronted him about it and I basically made a fool of myself. I really liked him, mom, but it was just a game to him," 

You pulled your child into a hug, rubbing their back, and kissing their head.

"That boy needs to have his eyes checked, but baby, that's nothing to be ashamed about to tell me. I'll wait for you to tell me, but I just dont want you to be miserable in your decisions,"

"I love you,mom," Your child mumbled into your shirt

"I love you too, baby,"

•••••••••••

Motherhood isn't easy and there are challenges that come along with it, but you are meant to learn, but you might already have learned from personal experience, movies, books, and family experiences. You keep on learning from your experiences with your child even if their away from her or are old.

December 17, 2019 03:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Maddie Snyder
03:47 Dec 26, 2019

Very well written. Love the sentences, "You felt pride and happiness coursing through your body as you watched your child on it's two feet, struggling to walk towards you."

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.