2 comments

General

Cold weather was prickling his skin as he was meditating in the frozen cave. He was sitting in a cross-legged position, and his robes were outstretched, forming a long tail behind him. Tian Chonglin was building his spiritual energy as a way to train his newly invented martial arts technique. His long black hair was floating in the air as his power was circulating his body. He was getting prepared for his long journey in search of the Cold Amulet. It is said that the Amulet is powerful and cannot be obtained easily. Many people tried, but none succeeded. Chonglin is willing to sacrifice everything he loves, only to get revenge for his family. He went out without saying his goodbyes and disappeared into the mountains.

In the Valley of Falling Blossoms was a handsome young man who was getting ready for his departure into the martial arts world. He had a mission to accomplish, and it was to find and destroy a dangerous object desired by all. It was Young Master, Chang Yongzheng, who was still new to the world outside his Everlasting Palace, a place he was raised in seclusion. He jumped on his white horse and rode through the town he rarely visited. His exquisite looks gathered the attention of others. Black long hair contrasted perfectly with his white and blue robes. He had a sword attached to his side as a way of protection. The journey was going to be long and very dangerous. The destination was Kuri Mountain. He had to hurry before anyone willing to possess the power of the small yet deadly object arrives before him. While being in a different environment than usual, Yongzheng had to learn new things every day. He met some people along the way, who wanted to help him on his journey, but sadly they all wanted to use the Young Master for his wealth and stray him into empty roads to prolong his mission. He was trusting people too much, so when he met a man who was actually willing to help him out and didn’t let him astray, he gladly let the man follow him along the way. This person’s name was Duàn Fu. He was also a martial artist known for his good deeds. The mysterious man was always seen helping others and was one of the masters in the jianghu. He was to be trusted, yet something about this person was off-putting.

In the Nanhar, Chonglin stopped in the town’s inn to rest before further departure. He had some time to look around and ask a few townspeople about the unusual things in the neighbourhood. Something about an Amulet was heard when the young man was passing by one of the shops. He came in to listen in, and ask the shopkeeper for more information on the matter.

“Hey, have you heard of this Cold Amulet? Some people say that it can freeze the person that is trying to use it.”, said one of the customers.

“I heard that it can curse the owner.” said the other customer.

Tian Chonglin thought, Hmm… Those guys seem to know the rumours and not anything of value. I should ask somewhere else then.

He went out and strode in the direction of the mountains ahead. There was a small village with few people in it, it almost looked deserted. The young man was asking the people there and got nothing unusual other than some ridiculous rumours. Tian Chonglin was so close to the mountain, and he could take it easy for now, yet something was bothering him. If people knew about the Amulet, then why weren’t they after it? Are they scared that the rumours are true? I have to get some rest and go there as soon as possible. Going back to the inn, he saw that someone was inside his room and as if searching for something turned his things upside down. The young man wasn’t even worried that something went missing because he had the most crucial thing on himself, a map leading inside Kuri Mountain where the Cold Amulet was hidden. Chonglin went to sleep after cleaning the place up a little.

Chang Yongzheng was riding his horse alongside Duàn Fu. It was dark, and neither of them wanted to take a break. The two men were a long way from the Kuri Mountain. In the cold night, they started their small talk about the map to the inside of the mountain.

“We have to hurry up and get there before anyone else does so. It is dangerous to go inside as there are many traps set alongside the entrance to the mountain. In order to get inside, we would have to trigger the traps and run inside. Are you sure you’re up for this, young man?” Duàn Fu was trying to persuade Chang to stay out while he goes inside and gets the Amulet. He was trying to get the treasure for himself and later kill the Young Master. As to why Duàn didn’t find the cave yet, was due to his lack of a guidance map. It was in the young Yongzheng’s possession.

“So if I stay out, wouldn’t that mean that you would have to deal with it on your own? You said that it was dangerous in which case we should go in there together.” for a Young Master who knew nothing about this cruel world, he was pretty smart and didn’t want to get others in danger on his behalf.

Mountain top was seen thought the woods as the two were getting closer. It was early in the morning and in about two to three hours they will arrive in the town on the foot of the Kuri Mountain. Yongzheng got off his horse once they reached the city and went inside the inn to get something to eat and drink. Duàn Fu was following him closely as they sat together and ate in peace. The distant chattering was pleasing as they finally got to meet some people in a long while. Next stop was the mountain itself. It was big, and not far from the town, it would take them about half an hour to get to the cave. The map said that it was located on the east side of the mountain, and they were on the right track. They gathered their things and took off again.

It was around noon when Duàn Fu and Chang Yongzheng were standing in front of the Cold Amulet cave. Tho their surprise it took them longer than expected to find the entrance. Upon examining the cave entrance they come to a conclusion that someone was here, but it didn’t look like a fresh trail either. They went inside as careful as they could manage and went along the path leading inside. The traps were supposed to get triggered by them, yet nothing seems to be happening. Chang thought to himself as he was walking alongside Fu, Could it be that someone entered the cave before us and set off the traps? Who could know about this place? I have a feeling that we will soon run into the person that entered this cave before us.

A bright light was seen at the end of the road they were on. A small entrance to the inner cave was right in front of the two men. Slowly they came inside, and in the middle of the wide opening was standing a handsome young man. He looked confused as the treasure he was looking for was nowhere to be found. Yongzheng and Duàn Fu came closer to the boy. The young man turned around and took on a fight stance as soon as he saw the snake pattern on Chang Yongzheng’s white robes. It was Chang Clan’s heraldry and the symbol of the people who killed his parents. In a quick motion, he jumped forward and attacked Yongzheng. The Young Master was able to block himself from the assault. The mysterious person was trying to get the upper hand and leapt behind Chang. He was pushed away by Duàn Fu, who grabbed ahold of the Young Master he was with and immobilized him completely. The shock was visible on both young men as they were confused by the sudden turn of events.

“What are you doing Duàn Fu?! Weren’t we together to get the Cold Amulet? Are you working with him?” Chang Yongzheng couldn’t believe that the person he trusted and was travelling together was now betraying him.

“Sorry but you were my key to get inside, and now I don’t need you anymore so you two can kill each other now. Isn’t that right, young man? I thought you wanted to avenge your parents, but you seem not so eager to do so now.” Duàn Fu was mocking the boy and was soon to pay the price for it.

The young man that waited in the cave was none other than Tian Chonglin. He was frozen in shock as to what he just heard from the older man’s lips, How does he know that I have a grudge against the Chang Clan for killing my parents? Could it be—? He cut his train of thoughts quickly as he saw a movement to his right. It was Fu’s sword coming at him with tremendous force. Chonglin managed to dodge it just in time. He looked st the older man and with anger plastered on his face asked, “How do you know that his clan killed my parents? What a coincidence you are here with him. Was it your plan?”

“Yes! I was the one that killed your parents but seeing that there is no sign of the Cold Amulet, I don’t have the need for either of you boys.” Duàn Fu was confident and already thought of an escape plan. He pushed the Young Master into the other boy and ran for the small opening leading out of the cave blocking the only way out. 

The two young men fell on the hard floor. They sat up and looked at one another. It seemed that this misunderstanding was solved without any spoken words. Yongzheng looked at the altar made for the Amulet. The only thing left was this frozen cave the two boys ended up in. It was cold, and neither of them had any light or warmer clothes. It was Duàn’s plan to let the kids’ freeze do death in this cold and dark place.

“Now that we are here, we should think of a way out of here and go after that old man. I hope that we can put that little misunderstanding behind us.” The young man was less hostile as his whole appearance changed at this moment.

“I’m, as you may know already, the Young Master of the Chang Clan, haven’t you found out by now? We were friends for so long already, and it looks like we have a common enemy now. You should not worry since you being good friends with me can not only be beneficial to you in terms of money but also my first-class martial arts skills, which will help us escape this place. So, what do you say, Chonglin?” The Young Master was truly worthy of his title as his words were not only encouraging but also full of positive energy and confidence.

“Haha. With me now, you will never get fooled like that again. So what are you waiting for? Get us out of here and let’s go eat something, I’m hungry.” With a cute smile on his face, Tian Chonglin hid behind his best friend, Chang Yongzheng, and waited for him to do his bidding.

The blocked path was forced open by the intense force of the Divine Skill of the Young Master, and the two of the young boys run out of the Cave of the Cold Amulet. It was a relief when Chang saw his, still waiting for him, horse outside the cave. He grabbed Tian as he was jumping onto the white mount and rode into the town nearby to warm up and get something to eat. The two young men bonded on their misadventure and were now the best of friends after clearing everything that was put into doubt before, and they had a mission, find Duàn Fu, and make him pay. There was also the case of the missing Cold Amulet, but knowing that his common enemy didn’t have it in his possession, there was a slight chance of it being destroyed before either of them found the forbidden cave.


May 08, 2020 21:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Zea Bowman
14:39 May 11, 2020

I loved this story! It was intriguing from beginning to end. I loved how descriptive and entertaining it was! Any chance you could stop by and give me feedback on my story, "Come Quietly" and like it if you enjoyed it? If so, thanks so much! If not, it's all good. Anyway, I look forward to reading more of your stories. Good luck!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kathleen Jones
17:36 May 10, 2020

Sounds like a good beginning for a story reflecting the oriental world of valor and honor.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.