3 comments

Mystery


                                                               The Future Past 



We could still hear the pitty patter on the roof; it was still silent and as nightfall approached we stood still. Our conversations became less as we grew weary but soon was pounced upon by the fear of anxiety. My eyes were almost shut and my chair halted against the wall. Lizzy was still glued to her phone juicing the last battery life. Pete was busy as usual inspecting the place making sure his resting spot is secured.

AHHHCHHOOO!!!  , everyone jumped up franticly; I fell off my chair and Lizzy burp-farted. 

“Really that burp-fart was the icing” Thank you Lizzy,

 “Oh you’re welcome Bricks”,

 “I was being sarcastic, Bricks replied".

 “Oh so was I”                       

The power cut lasted for several hours as the storm passed. We have been planning this road trip for quite some now but Mother Nature had other plans. Just this one time we chose to do it, a chance to prove everybody else wrong. But here we are stuck in this motel, anticipating our next move. The only move I had was to snack on my unfinished sandwich from this morning.

 “If only they had checked the tires on the RV we would be far nearing our destination. Why is it so hard to inspect the vehicles before long journeys”. Over and over and ov..


Pete was quite meticulous one and was really upset.


“The hell you didn’t check it yourself, Mr know it all!!!!!!!!!!!”

Bricks was still heated after the burp-fart , he hated that those things.


‘Well, I carried all the luggage’s and made sure we have all the necessities”.


“And as I said before for the last time I checked all tires including the spare and it was good”, said Bricks under his breath.


For some reason something didn’t feel together, it just didn’t feel right from the moment we entered the town . All six of us had no intentions of going back, at least not now. I kept wandering to myself about that sign covered by vines at the gas station, and how the hell we ended up at this run-down motel in the middle of nowhere. This was not the plan, the receptionist was very weird but friendly, we had very little time to look around trying to shelter but as we settled the eerie atmosphere set in. 

Ali called from the gas station and said the tire is good to go, but we decided to crash the night. Ali and Drizzell both waited at the gas station until the tire was good but were stuck as the downpour came heavier. At least they had the fancy RV to lay their heads compared to this worn down apartment. Leaks from everywhere like a sinking ship, and it was now pitch black.

Lizzy phone shone on her face and i didn’t realize how cute she was until now minding her own business, legs crossed and swinging. I know she’s now bored and ready to mingle. As I moved over towards her I turned my head to glance on Bricks and when I looked back she was gone.  

Pete went to the rest room and came out soaking wet, “the roof in the john is almost gone and a big hole is over the tub”.

“Hey Liz can u hand me the towel”,

“She step out a minute ago”

 “Stepped out to where, in the middle of all this”, where did she say she was going

 Don’t know she didn’t say.

“Anyway I’ll be back I need a towel”.


Bricks was fast asleep as usual that’s how he earned his name, he was always knocked out cold as if a tonne of bricks fell on him. We practically grew up together from foster home to foster home we met Drizzell and Ali in our latter years at our final foster home. This trip should have proved we have grown responsible as young adults and prove we can work together. I wander if anyone figured it out yet though, I was always skeptical or having a gut feeling about something.


Questions and thoughts of the past were in my head and I started to bite my nails in the dark. I became restless I was again alone haunted by feint memories as if to relive the moments in the present. A moment of DE-JA-VU in an instant, it was cold and a shimmering light in the office, my heart started to race …

Wait, the, the LIGHT!!!!!!!.,.how do they have liiiiig. I ran to the door and Pete just came back up and kicked it open, I punched him right in the face. It was pure reflex and my anxiety level was heightened before. He slipped and fell backwards over the rail not before I grabbed him by his collar and held his arm. I yelled out to Bricks but to no avail he was out. I told him to hold on but he kept slipping slowly as I lost grip. The rain was pouring and he looked somewhat unconscious, I kept saying what were you thinking. The apartment now was partially lit as they managed to get the generator started. He was out cold my grip loosened and my feet began to slip , his shirt began to rip and I lost hold of Pete.

He fell over three storey unto the pavement, he was motionless and so was i. I froze for about 30 seconds and wondered what the hell just happened.

I ran back inside, woke up Bricks and dash downstairs but we stumbled upon nothing.

“Where did he go?”

“He was just right here I saw him with my own two eyes”

“Where is Lizzy?”

“I don’t know I assume he went out after her because she stepped out, he didn’t return with her”. 

Come let us go back to the apartment, we will call Ali from there. Before we went up we stopped at the office to find out if he was resting there. He was not there, so we hurriedly went up and called. There was no answer, we could see the RV lights on through the rain as it slowed a little, the storm was passing & now everything was off.

“Did you hear that? Hold up, it’s coming from the back court of the apartment lets go”. It was a scream only Bricks could hear.

Bricks was gifted he would be out cold when he is asleep but while awake his senses were a full 20. We wasted no time to go and on my way as the palm of my hands touched the rails it all came back that this place was once our home. I had goosebumps and to think I didn’t remember this place, this place was once my home that gas station, that sign i knew as a kid. We lived beyond the marshlands with mom and dad until their past caught up with them. My brother and I moved here with our Aunt and when she passed the foster home took us in.


To be cont’d…….

July 23, 2020 05:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Grace M'mbone
17:36 Aug 16, 2020

I like how you've fashioned your paragraphs. I also liked the story, brushing away the minor errors here a and there. Beautiful story from a creative mind. Keep writing Fani😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Matthew Turner
06:11 Jul 30, 2020

Good step by step. My only critique would be to run through it for minor errors before posting it. Interested in seeing what comes next

Reply

Fani Kerr
03:44 Jul 31, 2020

Respect king !!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.