The Warthog, the rosty Subaru and Anna

Submitted into Contest #249 in response to: Write a story about a character running late for a job interview.... view prompt

17 comments

Adventure Fiction Teens & Young Adult

Her old Subaru made a puffing noise every time she pressed the gas pedal, and it got much louder when she stepped on the brakes to stop in front of the gate. The guards raised their heads as they heard the screech of the brakes. There were three guards: one in the cabin at the Klaserie Private Nature Reserve entrance gate, and two outside approaching Anna, one of whom appeared to be the dog's handler. 


The guard holding the device walked towards her on the driver's side. He grimaced but said nothing further. He pointed to the reader, simultaneously the handler let go of his dog off the leash and went to the passenger side. 


The handler placed his palm on the roof of her car and studied her face intently. Blood raced into her cheeks, turning them crimson. 


"The passcode, Mom." The handler looks into the Subaru's back seat.


Her hands trembled as she showed the screenshot to the guard on the driver's side, which included the code number and her name. This guard did not appear to bother saying anything to her, instead staring at the passcode with the same gloomy face and then back at her. 


The handler continued in a deep, demanding voice, "The phone number," while she gave him a perplexed look.


His detecting dog, whom he called Vertigo, a German Shepard, gave her car a thorough sniff. After a few minutes, Vertigo returned, wagging. The guard on her driver’s side nodded to the handler and they both took a step back. The handler turned around and signaled to the other man at the cabin with a hand gesture. The gates opened. 


She breathed a sigh of relief and nearly floored the gas pedal, forcing the Subaru to shriek. The drive was along the first asphalted road, which turned after four kilometers into a natural path. She stopped her car, took her previously tattered map, searched for the entrance, and ran her fingers down it.


"All right. That's the change to the sandy road, and I still have about two kilometers left on this route," she said aloud while folding the map and putting it back in the side compartment of the driver's door.


Gazing at her father's classic mechanical pocket watch, which she had inherited as a gift, she felt a sense of adventure as he told her about his stories. She keeps things straightforward and practical, even with her modest yet fashionable wardrobe.


The Subaru engine shook as though it was running on too little gas, as she inserted the key into the ignition.


"Come on, please," she murmured, turning around the key a second time; then a third time.


It made a mechanical clicking noise shortly after starting and stumbled for moments.


She depressed the gas pedal, and it began to move with some effort. She gazed down the road; it had a shimmering appearance. The beads of sweat trickled from her brow over her eyes. 


She wiped them away with her palm while looking at the passenger side. Her upper body leaned toward the seat, but her head faced the street. She searched for the bottle with her hands and gazed at it briefly. She swiftly took the bottle, straightened her upper body, and peered down the street.


Suddenly a duiker - an antelope the size of a golden retriever - appeared on the path. She braked instantly and had to steady herself with her hands on the steering wheel. 

The small antelope tensed up, pointing her ears back, her eyes wide alert.


"Hell no," she shouted.


 "Go away," and honked repeatedly.


The small antelope leaped six feet into the dry, thorny, broad-leafed woods. Anna shook her head; took a rag and wiped down her blazing red face, neck, and chest. She leaned her head back, closed her eyes, and breathed deeply in and out.


The Subaru shuddered again and growled. The radiator emitted a powerful steam. 


"Not now," she exclaimed forcefully, her face seeming more redder. She struck the driving wheel with her palms numerous times.


She looked at her smartphone on the passenger side, picked it up, and phoned. It rang several times on the other end, and just when she was about to hang up, someone did answer.


"Hello, this is Marian," Anna overheard a clear voice with a soothing tone on the other end.


"Hello." She paused to breathe. "Hello. My name is Anna. My interview with you is set for today. My car has broken down..." She took a deep breath. "I will walk the rest of the way."


"I didn't understand your name; it seemed a little broken. What do you want, walk up to us?”


"My name is Anna. Yes, it's just a little distance.”


“No, you won't. I'll send you a ranger, but you must wait between 1 and 1.5 hours. Stay where you are. Do not get out of your car. Drink water! Do you understand what I am saying? Where exactly are you?"


Anna pulled out the map and explained the route. After hanging up, she took a few long breaths. She grabbed the water bottle, took several sips, opened the door, and stepped out. 


She heard branches crack near her, and birds flew away, so she dashed back into her car and waited. Minutes passed...nothing happened.


With her application folder in hand, a glance at the map, and her car's rearview mirror, she took a big breath and stepped out. Her eyes darted around, startled by the noises of rustling leaves, cracking trees, animals she didn't recognize, and a few bird calls in between. She moved calmly and methodically, taking each step with a glance to the front, behind, and right. The noises grew louder and louder. 


An unexpected low-frequency call from the side brought her to an abrupt halt. Her chest appeared to stop moving. She moved her head slightly towards the call. Their gazes met - she looked at light grey to brown, huge, flat skulls covered with "warts," and four pointed tusks. 


This warthog was enormous; smaller warthogs with babies followed behind; even she recognized its size. This time, the call is more lethal. She swallowed. She widened her eyes, her chest rose and fell, and sweat dripped down her cheeks.


She gestured to the animal with her quivering palm outward and murmured calmly. She breathed many times before taking a cautious step backward, keeping her gaze fixed on the animal. With a stomp, it warned her again about each movement she made. The animal followed her, so she took a step, then another, and kept speaking calmly; her chest rose and fell harder and faster. Her steps backward became increasingly shaky, and her red-painted lips stood out dramatically against her pale skin. 


The warthog had halted after a few more feet, yet it kept her in sight. With an audible sigh of relief, she turned around, rushed the last meters back to her car, flung open the door, and hopped inside. She closed her eyes and laid her palm on her chest; her breathing gradually returned to normal, and her pallor faded.


Seeing a safari vehicle approach in her rearview mirror, she let out an exuberant cry. She nearly jumped out of her car, waving both arms ecstatically. Behind her, the car stopped and a ranger got out.


"Marian instructed me to take you up. I drove away earlier..."


"Thank you, thank you, and thank you a thousand times." Anna jumped onto his neck. 


With a shake of his head, the ranger nearly yanked her away from him. The other ranger in the vehicle chuckled.


"Get on. My colleague will care for your automobile."


Anna nodded in relief and fought with her balance to climb inside the safari car; behind her, the dog "Vertigo" sniffed her intently.


"I hope you don't intend to introduce yourself for the ranger training here, do you?" remarked the Handler, whom she had once met at the entrance gate.


She smiled gently and looked at her job application materials - National Park Ranger Training - before checking her pocket watch. She was one hour late.


May 07, 2024 19:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

17 comments

Jeremy Stevens
12:31 May 16, 2024

Pretty certain she wouldn't have wanted to interview anyhow, regardless of how tardy she was, due to that harrowing experience. Thank you for the introduction to a beautiful animal, the duiker. I enjoyed this, Renate.

Reply

Renate Buchner
13:18 May 16, 2024

Well, Jeremy, I wouldn't be so sure... Anna is a tough girl. Thank you for reading my story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel Rogers
20:42 May 13, 2024

I'd say Anna got a crash course in ranger training. And why does no one stay in their car? lol. Good job.

Reply

Renate Buchner
11:01 May 15, 2024

Thank you, Daniel

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martin Ross
13:35 May 11, 2024

One of things I love here is learning about other places and everyday lives there. You vividly capture that place and experience, and I loved the story’s payoff. Thanks!

Reply

Renate Buchner
14:20 May 11, 2024

Thank you, Martin

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trevor Woods
11:58 May 09, 2024

Great job, Renate! I love the detail, I could really visualize the scenes.

Reply

Renate Buchner
12:50 May 09, 2024

Wow, Trevor, thank you very much. What a nice complement.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
18:28 May 08, 2024

Renate, you have a gift of using detail to make the story sing. I loved the use of such vivid imagery here. Splendid one !

Reply

Renate Buchner
03:48 May 09, 2024

Alexis, wow. That's quite the compliment; every time I read your narrative, I couldn't help but think how beautifully written, fascinating, and fluent it was.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jim LaFleur
11:55 May 08, 2024

The vivid descriptions brought the scenes to life. Another great work, Renate!

Reply

Renate Buchner
16:17 May 08, 2024

Thank you, Jim. I welcome any input on my strengths and areas for improvement.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
20:45 May 07, 2024

She still wants this job?

Reply

Renate Buchner
05:02 May 08, 2024

She is terrified, unsure if she can handle it, but she also possesses the spirit of adventure and exploration. Thank you, Mary, for reading my story.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
18:18 May 08, 2024

Thanks for liking my Battle of the Sexes.

Reply

Renate Buchner
03:51 May 09, 2024

I adore your stories, Mary, and look forward to seeing what you write next.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
06:27 May 09, 2024

Such a nice compliment Thank you.😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.