Aren't You Ashamed?

Submitted into Contest #60 in response to: Write a post-apocalyptic story triggered by climate change.... view prompt

29 comments

Creative Nonfiction

Author's Note: I know this isn't an actual story, it's more like a speech and explanation. But it's told like a 'story'. But I also hope this triggers people that are not interested to also take some action! Hope you like it!




I breathed the half-polluted air into my lungs, half coughing it out. I strode out, onto the stage, leaving my paper behind and put on a brave face. Adjusting the microphone to my height and towards my lips. I looked out at the men and woman, dressed in black suits, sitting in the crowd, glaring at me at the same time, watching in anticipation.


“Hi!”, I began, then brushed the hair out of my eyes, trying to make eye contact. The whispers have already started.

“As you can see, I’m here, at the microphone. I’ve made it so far, from being a normal high-school girl that drew posters saying, ‘save the planet’ to here.”, I continued, becoming more confident.


“Yes, you may have heard of me. I’m Lisa Mirrow, who talks at meetings, conferences, stages etc. So now that I’m right in front of you, I hope you can listen to me, at least listen and… I hope I don’t bore you with my speech. You all know what climate change is… You hear it everywhere, but I bet you never thought of taking it within you and take some action. You all, right here in the audience, seem like responsible adults, probably you even have children and grandchildren. But to me, you don’t look like responsible adults, you know why, it’s because of your lack of responsibility to secure the future of our future generations and protect this beautiful earth which day by day, you are reducing to an ugly dumpster. You know, the earth was here, way before us. It gave us food, shelter, land, space, everything… but us? We weren’t satisfied with course, and that is because humans have a nature of being greedy and selfish that they take more than what is needed which definitely includes you and me.”, I continued my speech, my voice was clear and sharp, I could feel the words simply spilling out of my mouth in rhythm and flow as I was standing tall and proud in confidence.


“We built numerous buildings, schools, towers, monuments, skyscrapers, houses and museums, but it seems as if we forgot all about our planet. Of course, It’s way to late to get rid of all of this but you can still sustain it with nature. We preserve paintings, artifacts and such important things that symbolise our history, but have you ever thought of preserving nature that was here before us? You know, our earth is still going to exist, even after our human race is wiped out. Our only leftovers and trace that will be left on this planet, are polluted grey air, plastic flooding the ocean, an oil spilt land, smoke pissing out of broken vehicles, the corpses of many wildlife floating around and the land we strived on, flooded with murky seawater. So now that you have an image of the future, try and start acting like real adults. I know you won’t be satisfied with this, so I’ll continue.”, I say, clearing my throat.


“You know, I wonder if you ever thought about those endangered species of animals out there… After all, you couldn’t care any less about the earth so why would you care about the animals. Obviously, we think they have no feeling so that we can treat them like toys and rubbish. Yeah, I get it, we don’t understand the meaning of them, but they are balancing this place! Humans are meant to be the protector of nature, but it seems like we are the destroyers. We are the only beings that can talk, and we are the most intelligent but to me, it looks like the cruellest.”, I point my finger out and looked at the audience seriously.


“We are Homo Sapiens, in the literal meaning, Wise Man. Yeah, I know we are proud of that. After all, we built computers, robots, cars and smartwatches! But do you think then it’s going to help the environment other than destroying it? We are wise, only to help the environment. We found atoms, and those very atoms we used, to destroy things! Are you all seriously proud of yourselves? We waged great wars like World War 1 and World War 2 and in the process, invented planes but we also destroyed so much of land! We created motorcycles, trains, cars, buses and trams, but the result of them is a polluted planet. Ok, at least think of it this way… People will die from lung cancer and maybe even you! Everything we create and invent is only resulting in a polluted planet! We know there’s solar energy, we know coal is running out, we know fossil fuels are clogging the air in Carbon Dioxide, we also know there are replaceable to these and we even know about global warming! But we still continue to do nothing about it!”, I huffed, my speech was becoming like a mother preaching her child to stop doing something so irresponsible.


“Here’s the most important truth… WE ARE AT THE BEGINNING OF A MASS EXTINCTION! But I still don’t think you understand that, because people talked and raised awareness to save our earth from this but to me… All you people over here today, don’t understand that and if you are listening to this but still won’t act, then…”, I checked my watch and looked up.

“You’ve wasted a whole 30 minutes, listening to this speech which you most likely consider useless anyways.”


“I really am sick of all of you people and the world leaders out there because no matter how much we people tell you, I don’t think you really care. A leader is meant to take people to good, but it turns out you are just destroying us all. So, put aside your useless politics since it’s polluted as well and save the planet! Us future generations shall never forgive you for these gruesome and horrible mistakes… Just remember one thing, we are at the beginning of a mass extinction! Thank you…”, I say, then left the microphone standing silently.

September 20, 2020 07:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

29 comments

Angel {Readsy}
10:32 Apr 30, 2021

Anxiously waiting for next story ; why not you write any novel ; definitely I will read all; you have persuading, encouraging and influencing writing skill, you would be top on the rating list ( ̄▽ ̄」) ヾ(*´∀`*)ノ(o^∀^o)O(≧∇≦)O(●⌒∇⌒●)(☆^ー^☆)o (^‿^✿)(◡‿◡✿) (◕‿◕✿)(✿◠‿◠)o (^‿^✿)(◑‿◐✿)(◡‿◡✿)(-‿◦☀)(*‿*✿)(❀◦‿◦) ☆(❁‿❁)☆(✿◕ ‿◕ฺ)ノ))。₀: *゜,、’`<(❛ヮ❛✿)>,、’`’`,、٩(✿∂‿∂✿)۶★~(◡﹏⊙✿)★~(◠‿◕✿)★~(◠△◕✿)★~(◠﹏⊙✿)˚✧₊⁎❝᷀ົཽ≀ˍ̮ ❝᷀ົཽ⁎⁺˳✧༚*+:꒰◍•ᴗ•◍꒱:+*╰(✿´⌣`✿)╯♡ : (。・‧̫・。).**♡(✿◕ ‿◕ฺ)ノ))。₀: *゜❀.(*´◡`*)❀.°˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°

Reply

Aww! Thank you! I don't know if I will post this week but maybe the next! I'm glad!

Reply

Angel {Readsy}
10:45 May 03, 2021

My grand father died today

Reply

Oh... I'm so sorry... are you ok? How's your family? I hope you're doing alright and may your grandfather rest in peace...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Angel {Readsy}
08:54 Apr 28, 2021

"I still don’t think you understand that" yeah I still don't, just kidding don't mind :XD:XD

Reply

Haha, you have good humor!

Reply

Angel {Readsy}
09:35 Apr 28, 2021

Your star for today says that your personality shine. And like the lion Leos are also strong, brave, and ready to dominate everything they set

Reply

Ah! Thank you! I am dominating and I do talk a lot! Hehe!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Angel {Readsy}
08:50 Apr 28, 2021

Title : Aren't You Ashamed? Yeah I'm :XD 」( ̄▽ ̄」) ヾ(*´∀`*)ノ(o^∀^o)O(≧∇≦)O(●⌒∇⌒●)(☆^ー^☆)o (^‿^✿)(◡‿◡✿)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
12:28 Sep 20, 2020

This is an amazing story! This issue is so true though, and the story really hits the point. We really need to start taking care of our planet :) Great story with an amazing message!

Reply

Aww... thanks Owly! Yeah, people really need to come together and act!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
. .
21:55 Oct 12, 2020

Omg- Ur from Aus too?... Well hi! How was ur exams? This story was amazing! It was super detailed and just like all your other stories it was super enjoyable to read. That's all I wanted to say. Cya -Sel

Reply

Yeah! I am! Well, from Melbourne! And my exams were great! I'm glad you liked my stories, thank you so much! Well, bye! ~SS

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Prathamesh Chavan
04:53 Sep 25, 2020

Hey, silver would you be kind to watch the first video it's on Harry potter. https://youtu.be/KxfnREWgN14 Sorry for asking your time, This my first time to edit video

Reply

Ok! That would be awesome!

Reply

Prathamesh Chavan
13:32 Sep 27, 2020

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
The Cold Ice
04:50 Sep 22, 2020

Wow!!.Good story.I loved this.Great job keep it up. Would you mind to read my story “The dragon warrior part 2?”

Reply

Thank you so much! Of course! I'll read as soon as I get some time!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Angel {Readsy}
08:51 Apr 28, 2021

Dragon warrior , yup sure why not I will read it

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Avery G.
21:45 Sep 20, 2020

Wow, great job! I loved this! P.S. You've been downvoted too??? Same. I noticed that the other comments before me on this story were all at 0 points. I upvoted them, but this is seriously starting to get on my nerves.

Reply

Agreed! It's so annoying! In half an hour, I just lost 30 points! Thanks! Really sweet of you!

Reply

Avery G.
23:09 Sep 20, 2020

Also, I'm going on an upvote spree for you :)

Reply

Thanks! I'll do the same!

Reply

Avery G.
00:02 Sep 21, 2020

Aww, thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Avery G.
23:07 Sep 20, 2020

I know right! Wow. You're welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Sia S
15:39 Sep 20, 2020

Wow... Good job on this !!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.