Learning and growth don't always go hand in hand with age

Submitted into Contest #49 in response to: Write a story that takes place in a waiting room.... view prompt

0 comments

General

Sarah looked around the place and decided it was not as elegant as the resort she was staying in. She walked up to the receptionist and spoke hesitantly,

“Err…excuse me! I’m Sarah. Can you please help me?”

The receptionist looked up from her computer screen and gave a sophisticated smile.

“Yes, child. How may I assist you?” She inquired.

Sarah related her tale and was glad to note that the receptionist’s facial features revealed her reaction to be that of worry and sympathy.

“I’m here with others of my school for an educational trip,” Sarah told, “We were out for hiking and I got distracted by…something. I got separated from the others and when I returned to the spot, they were gone. My phone is dead. The resort we’re staying at is a bit far from this place and I don’t believe I have enough energy left to make it there.”

“What resort are you staying at, child?” The receptionist asked.

“The Wild Crest.”

“Do you, by any chance, recall the phone number of any of your teachers or group members?”

“No. I don’t.”

“No problem,” The receptionist said, her smile reappearing, “I’ll make contact with the resort.”

“By the way,” she said, while typing something into the computer, “May I know what exactly was it that distracted you?”

“Well…butterflies,” Sarah said, looking down at her shoes to hide how ashamed she was of that fact, “There were lots of them. I followed a few into the trees. And, I guess I didn’t consider the prospects of my getting lost.”

The receptionist showed all her teeth at this and began to dial a number on the landline.

The conversation with whoever was on the other end started formally. Then a few casual remarks led Sarah to believe that the receptionist was probably on friendly terms with the other person.

“…Yes. But I’ve called for some other reason,” The receptionist was finally coming to the point, “Is there a school group staying over there?...I believe they were out trekking some time ago?...Yes! Well, they seemed to have left behind a girl. I’ve been told that she wandered off chasing BUTTERFLIES and they left without her…Yes, please…”

She waited for some minutes without speaking anything, smiling at Sarah after every few seconds as if to convince her that every proper action was being taken.

“…Aha! Okay. Thank you!” Saying this, she put down the receiver.

“Some teacher from your group is coming to get you,” She told Sarah, “And you’ve been missed. They were quite worried. How come none of your friends noticed your absence while they were still here?”

“I was with one of the group leaders before I wandered off,” Sarah said, “The group leader might have thought I’d gone back to my friends. Perhaps. Probably. My friends might have thought I was still with the leader. And then, we travel in several mini-vans. Anybody can be in any van.”

The receptionist gave another eerie expression who’s meaning Sarah could not comprehend and she simply went and sat in the waiting room.

The waiting room was big, but there weren’t many people there. A couple of kids were playing cards. A lady, in her late-fifties or early-sixties, was seated beside her. She smiled at Sarah and Sarah had to smile back.

“You’re waiting for something, kid?” The lady asked.

Sarah was tired of her being addressed as ‘kid’ or ‘child’ but she answered in a most amicable way, “Yes…er…ma’am. I was separated from my group. They’re on their way to get me.”

The lady nodded her head and said nothing. Sarah thought it might be polite if she asked the same question back.

“And, what are you waiting for?...Ma’am?” She asked.

“My son,” She replied in a very low voice, “I live in a town nearby. And I came here, to meet him. He’s come here vacationing but he didn’t come to see me. So, I thought I’ll do that job.”

It was Sarah’s turn to nod her head, but unlike the lady, she could not keep her mouth shut and she began asking questions about this ‘son’.

“He’s here vacationing? Where does he live then? He didn’t even call you or anything? Where’s he right now?”

The lady looked at Sarah’s face with curious eyes and grinned.

“I see you’re a talkative one,” She said, “He lives in Bangkok. He has a business there. He just told me where he was staying and that pretty female outside says he’s somewhere out. Jungle Safari she thinks. He’ll be back soon. And I’m waiting for him. They won’t let me into his room till he has come back, some policy, and I said I’ll be fine here by myself. They brought me food and everything though, and these couches are really comfy.”

“Yes,” Sarah said, “Yes they are. I can even sleep here.”

A few more minutes of silence passed. The lady was looking at the kids, almost wistfully. Sarah was expecting her to walk over to them any second and ask if she could play as well.

The lady stayed where was, and began asking Sarah about her school and studies and the trip so far. Sarah replied to all those questions with utmost courtesy.

“You’re in the most joyous time of your life right now,” The lady remarked, “Enjoy it while it lasts. Then you’ll have time for nothing else but career and studies and all those things.”

“My mum says we can live our best lives whenever we want to,” Sarah countered, “Whatever our age may be. She says happiness comes from within.”

The lady laughed at this statement.

“I can’t go trekking at this age,” She said, “I can’t see my son whenever I want to.”

Sarah thought for a while and then asked, “Is there nothing that brings you a feeling of…joy?”

“I enjoy reading,” The lady said, “But the thing is, I can’t do whatever I want to. Childhood is the only time when you can live happily, freely, because you’re naïve. You’re ignorant, and in this case, ignorance is not all that bad. At least a child believes in goodness and happiness.”

Sarah couldn’t help but agree with most of what the lady said. Children were ignorant of the ways of the world and that’s why they were happy. She was growing up, and she was witnessing so many changes, within and around her. She was beginning to understand and learn, and the complexities were frustrating at times.

“But that’s how life is,” Sarah said out loud, “I know you must miss your son, and it’s wrong of him to not call on you while he’s here, but then it’s his life.”

“Yes, I know. It’s his life.”

“But you scold him when you meet him.”

 “I will.”

Sarah could see that the lady’s eyes were still fixed on those kids. She was watching them laugh and play.

“Do you like playing cards,” Sarah asked her, “Have you ever played UNO cards?”

“I haven’t. But I’ve seen kids play. I’m familiar with most of the rules.”

Sarah then called out to the kids, “Hey! Would you like a third player?”

The kids screamed ‘Yes’ enthusiastically. They weren’t above the age of ten.

“Go,” Sarah said to the lady, “Play.”

“What? No…I don’t…” The lady was shocked.

“I know you want to play.”

“But…”

“You’re too old?” Sarah chuckled, “You’re never too old to be happy. Yes, age limits you. But you should do whatever you can, whatever makes you content. And this is a pretty easy thing to do.”

The receptionist appeared at the door just then.

“Sarah, your teacher is here.”

Sarah stood up, picked up her bag pack, and started walking out. She turned around to look at her chatting partner of the last hour. The lady was eagerly listening to the wisdom-of-playing-cards the kids were imparting.

Sarah met her teacher, who was also her group leader, standing by the receptionist’s desk outside.

“Sarah!” The teacher first gave a look of immense relief, before her expression changed to something that told Sarah she was going to be in trouble.

“You’re reckless Sarah! Yes, that’s what you are.”

“Sorry, ma’am,” Sarah responded with an extremely penitent look showing on her face, “I promise this’ll be my last…adventure.”

“…for a while,” She added.

They both thanked the receptionist for her favors and departed quickly lest any other crisis should fall upon them.

“I’m extremely disappointed in you young lady,” The teacher chided Sarah while the driver started the van.

“I know,” Sarah said, “But I’m learning, ma’am. I’m learning to understand and to value.”

“What are you learning to value?”

“Everything.”

July 09, 2020 12:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.