4 comments

Suspense Fiction Drama

"I know what happened that night" Said Mike

"well I don't" Aaron replied softly.

"are you sure? Because I.. I remember what you did." He stammered. 

"can you stop!" Aaron screamed.

He closed his eyes tightly, clenching his hands. He was terrified and nervous as to why Mike intentionally forced him to recall his past.

He sighed deeply.

"it won't change anything." He said

"you don't know that." 

"Besides, maybe if you remember a little bit of what conspired that night. Then you'll come to know why you feel hunted. " Mike insisted.

He looked at him out of furious eyes, and said impatiently;

"isn't it obvious that I don't want to remember any of it."  

"so you rather die of insanity." 

"I'm not mad!" 

"But what if." Mike gave a sarcastic reply. 

The look on Aaron's face had become more intense. Mike was motionless. He knew what was going to happen next.

"look I'm....

"get out!" Aaron interrupted.

Mike didn't hesitate to take his leave. He figured that Aaron needed some time alone. Their friendship was one worth emulating, but over time being friends with Aaron became difficult. 

"I need some air... I need some air."

Aaron whispered to himself. 

Adjusting his shirt back and forth and breathing sporadically. He quickly grabbed his jacket and headphone before going out for a walk.

He walked quietly and steadily. He didn't feel like his heart was about to stop. With his headphones on, he nodded slowly to the music.

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery

None but ourselves can free our minds!

The song played continuously....

He was about turning left to the next street when he bumped into his mouthy cousin, Marianne. 

"Hey watch it!" Aaron? 

"Aaron!" She uttered a cry of delight upon knowing that it was her cousin. 

"Good thing you're still alive." she said 

"what's that supposed to mean." 

"I mean, we all thought you were dead or taken away by aliens." she gave a wicked laugh. 

He felt irritated. Why would anyone say that. He looked above her shoulders and found Mrs Wright waving at him. He shook his head in contempt. 

"come on, let's have lunch together." 

"no one has seen you for a long time." she insisted, with sharp wandering eyes. 

He had no choice. They walked hurriedly to Mrs Wright, greeting her by the door. She gestured.

"come in." she said. 

He walked straight to the dining table taking a seat beside Mr Bradley. He tried to compose himself, but no matter how hard he tried his anxiety and nervousness increased. 

Mrs Wright took the cover off the soup-tureen exclaiming delightedly ;

"Aha! Chicken noodle! What could be better?" 

They all smiled at the sight of the sumptuous meal. Aaron kept a straight face. What could be much worse than being in the presence of his arch enemies. 

They all began to eat slowly, chattering and making unpleasant noises. He observed each of them with disdainful eyes. 

Suddenly, Mr Bradley tapped Aaron by the shoulder. 

"boy, I hear you've been sick." 

"nothing serious, just a mental breakdown." He replied. 

"seems pretty serious to me." said Mr Bradley whose chewing had become annoying. 

"You know, your mum said something to me before she left." 

"I don't think she did. Aaron replied hastily. 

Mr Bradley chuckled ;

"Ohh really! Why? Because you think she hates me?."

"she's my sister!" Mr Bradley screamed at Aaron. 

"stop it Brad!" his wife exclaimed. 

Aaron fidgeted. He was sweating profusely and felt his heart rate increase rapidly. 

"You know, she said that she gets scared of you sometimes and she fears that you might do something crazy." 

He stopped, dumbfounded and utterly at a loss when he saw that Aaron was beginning to cry. Two large tears ran slowly down the corner of his eyes and cheeks. 

" what's the matter? " asked Mr Bradley 

But with violent effort he overcame his grief and replied in a calm voice, wiping his wet cheeks. 

"Nothing" 

"don't say nothing kid! What did you do!" Mr Bradley stood in anger. 

"I don't know and I don't want to know!" Aaron cried. 

Marianne who had been quiet, followed Aaron yelling his name, but Aaron, overshadowed with grief, paid deaf ears to her call. 

He walked to the middle of the road, not paying attention. Before he could turn, he got hit by a truck. Again. 

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery 

None but ourselves can free our minds! 

The song played in low volume as the hospital monitor beeped.

Aaron laid unconscious. His mum sat beside him sobbing quietly. She made a glance towards Bradley. 

"Just pray that nothing happens to my son." She said 

Mr Bradley's face became pale. He followed her as she exited the room, walking behind her slowly. 

"Mabel please, listen to me." Mr Bradley begged. 

She stopped, turning to him forcefully. 

"OK... OK. What do you have to say this time." She said, in an upset, scolding voice. 

"I was only trying to help." 

"This is not how you help a child who lost his memory." Mabel cried as she spoke. 

"Yes, I know I fear for him. But you didn't have to tell it that way." she said. 

Bradley had his head down in despair. He felt guilty and his conscience pricked. 

"You don't have to like him Brad. But he's my son and will forever be." she said 

"but Mike... 

" forget about Mike." Mabel interrupted. 

"I know that they both argued in the car that night before the accident."

"Mike said he saw Aaron screaming at his father in the car before He drove off. Probably, they kept arguing while he drove." 

"his dad's gone and I don't want to loose him too." Mabel frowned. 

"I care for you Mabel and I don't want to see you hurt." 

Immediately, mike walked into the balcony. He hugged Mabel. She shrugged. 

"I'll see you later. Take care of Aaron." she said. 


The next day, Aaron was awake. Though, his head still hurts. He struggled to open his eyes. He saw his mum holding his hands and smiling down at him. He chuckled. 

What a way to start the day. He thought to himself. He closed his eyes and tears rolled down his cheeks.


"you don't have to remember any of it." Mabel whispered into his ears softly.


She held his hands tightly. He was all she had left.

January 06, 2021 18:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Prachi Pati
12:41 Jan 18, 2021

I thought this was a very difficult prompt and you have really done a great job with it:)

Reply

Stephanie Njoku
20:27 Jan 18, 2021

Thank you so much 🤗😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Uzochukwu Njoku
12:16 Jan 09, 2021

Interesting Narrative... I like it

Reply

Stephanie Njoku
20:28 Jan 18, 2021

Thank you. 😏

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.