1 comment

Creative Nonfiction Friendship

I could not still believe that happened.For the last 20 laps I had been ahead of him.But as the finishing line came into my vision,flash and he passed me.All of my expectations whilst staying in the top position blew off.Nevertheless,it was just a 0.5 second I was late.I could not still think ,to be sad that I lost or to be happy that sam won.He had been my best friend since I started my racing career.I could still remember the practise sessions I did with him.Without him I would not even be here.Going through windows,taking steep turns and my acceleration were all his brainchilds.Yet I could not muster the enough courage to go to him and say "well done".What the hell is wrong with me?It was sam's practise sessions what brought me to even this stage.I can still remember the last words I spoke with him before the race.

'Hey kiddo,How ya doing?Nervous?Do your best .ok!Look out for the guy in the no.10 car.He's a newbie.They always are a threat."

Yet I could not muster the strengthto reply him good luck

Still I am sitting here like a lousy bad sport thinking about my defeat.So I got up and went towards his tent.

The media had already left him.Actually it has been one and a half hours since the race ended.It is good that I came late.Or the media would be blubbering about my extroadinary defeat.They would also bring sam into it,concerning the training he gave me.The stands were already desolated.Popcorn stands and the beer stands had been removed.The exciting atmosphere which was there 2 hours ago has vanished into thin air.The champions' stand was drowned with champagne.

As I neared the tent my tension grew.Outside the tent was his ferrari in a lively see green colour.It had a 900 horse power engine with nano carbon wheels.It had been the best car in bussiness untill my car came in.But something about that car looked abnormal to me.It looked much ,leaner.I must be going nuts.

As I drawed near the door I imagined myself going to sam and saying,'well done'.I put my hand to the door when I heard a voice inside.

"I want at least 30 percent of the money"It was the voice of John sam's agent.I pressed my head closer to the door to not to miss a word.

But we agreed on 25 right?Answered sam.

This answer filled me on confusion.The maximum we gave to our agents of our prize money was 15 percent.It was sam who taught me that.But why did he agree on 25 percent?

John started speaking again."But if I inform the judges that your car is 7 inches longer than the usual standards..."So that was it.That is why the car looked a bit abnormal.It was longer!The rules were that if your car is longer than the usual standards the racer will be disqualified and the preceding rank will win the championship.So that means that I am the winner.Now I had to put a complaint to the judge board through my agent.I picked up my senses and ran searching my agent.

After 15 minutes of running here and there I found him at last in the rest room.He was still furious at me for losing the race and still cursing me muttering under his breath.As he caught sight of me he started,

"What the hell did you do over there ?You could have just won?Why did you let that old man win?

"But sir_"

"Giving excuses are you?Did not remember where the accelator was ahh?

"No sir,I have to tell you something_"

"I have an important call now.Meet me in 20 minutes"

So I went for a stroll.It was peaceful.The surrounding.The race track was made out of a mountain.It was like a mega sized carving.The leaves of autumn were falling through and the woods beside the course were littered with thousands of brown leaves.Now I had achieved my target.I,mr.Stephan Fernando in the blood red ferrari with no.7 had won the formula 1 grand prix at germany.Now I am the proud owner of a price money of 200 grand.What would I do of the prize money?Well,it is obvious.It will go to the account.And stay there until I need it.Strictly speaking I had no use of the money.It was the glory I was concerned of.As I walked around a corner I found sam propped to a tree talking to some one on the phone.He could not see me as He was looking the other way.

"Hello dad!Guess what happened ?I won.Now there is enough money for your heart surgery.I can not still believe that you ate going to live for another 20 years.I am, not joking dad.Tell mary that we could do a seizure for the baby and inform the insurance company to not to take the house,I will be paying it today.Okay goodbye."He turned around and saw me.

''Hey Stephan!What's up?Going for a walk aren't you?May I join?

I gestured him beside me and we started walking.While we were walking it all occured to me. Sam had a lot of financial problems than me.The money is important to him than me at this moment.But it does not matter?He cheated well and good.Yet if I inform the judges he will loose his father and most probably his wife because I knew that mary had a pregnancy problem.Last time also she suffered a lot and escaped death narrowly thanks to the doctors.Sam started talking.

"Why are you silent?Any worries?"

I replied"No Sam" with a smile.

"I thought that you would win yet you did not keep up your defences"Said sam.

"hmm"I replied.

I suddenly asked him"Imagine a story where one character needs to betray the other to win, but isn’t sure if they can.What would you do ?Betray your friend and win or help your friend by keeping your mouth shut?

Then he started speaking,"I am sorry I did that sam.I saw your shadow and recognized it.You know what I am talking about.My 0.5 lead owns to the extra 7 inches.However it is your call lad.But if you ask for my opinion I would always choose my friend rather than the trophy.Bye."And he left me speechless and exited through a door to the stands.

My mind kept debating what to do while I walked all the way around the race course and came to the agents tent.

I met my agent"You had something to say didn't you?something important?

I gave my answer.It was worth a life and a man's dignity.It did not give me money or glory or the trophy.I had lost yet again,But I achieved victory from my heart."Nothing important sir,prep the plane.let's go home"

November 13, 2020 07:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Mustang Patty
15:00 Nov 18, 2020

Hi there, I imagine that you may not be the greatest typist and that is why I came across a great number of typos, as well as a lack of writing conventions. One is: in prose, you always spell out any numbers under one-hundred. When you are using percentages or fractions, you always write them out. Thank you for sharing, and keep writing - ideas and stories are key; the writing is secondary BUT very important. No one can understand what you are saying if it isn't said correctly. ~patty~

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.