1 comment

General

The dim waiting room was filled with sorrow and pain. Navy cotton chairs were placed arm to arm against the dull blue walls. The white ceramic tiles were scratched and filthy. Large raindrops thumped against the windows and mixed in with the ticking of an analog clock. The nauseating smell of disinfectant filled the air. 

A gaunt lady sat with her legs crossed, her head was resting against the wall. Her grey hair was matted and tangled. She wore a dirty thin white gown. Her heart was clenching and wrenching inside of her chest. Tears filled her eyes as every pessimistic thought flew through her head. One year ago her son died in a car accent. Two years ago her husband jumped from their 3rd floor balcony to his death. Today, she is receiving her 8th round of chemotherapy - the cancer is only getting worse. 

A chiseled man and a sculpted lady sit next to one another near the entrance of the room. Both of them have golden rings placed on the ring finger on their left hand. The man has his head dug into his phone. His mistress is repeatedly texting him heart emojis. The woman was 7 months pregnant. Her hands were crossed atop her belly. She had forced her cheating husband to attend her doctor’s appointment. Both of them had fallen out of love - the baby was the only thing keeping them married. 

A gloomy teenager sat close to a hallway that led to a variety of hospital rooms. Her long black hair covered most of her face. Mozart played through the earbuds that she had stuffed in her ears before entering the hospital. Her parents could care less about her. They never wanted her. She walked herself to the hospital after spending the night throwing up. Her body was sore and tired. Her hand was wrapped around a vape pen in her pocket. All week she had been sneaking out of the house, drinking, and doing drugs. She met with older men. She skipped school. Deep down, all she longed for was her parent’s affection. 

A middle-aged man holding the newspaper sat alone. He was skimming through the world news and looking at what was happening in England. He was itching to go outside and light a cigarette. He spent the last 4 months going to family and divorce court. His wife had found a younger man. He was full of  rage- wishing he had found a younger woman. He wanted to know where their 28 years of marriage went. He hated how his wife had left behind their twin boys. But, at the end of the day, he would stalk her on social media and occasionally call her. No matter how much he tried to convince himself that he hated her - he was still madly in love. 

A craggy lady sat closer to the windows. She was dressed in office attire with a book laying open across her lap. Her job as a reporter had started to become more and more stressful, causing her to get sick more often. Today she had planned to drink wine and watch a movie, but her husband had pushed and urged her to see a doctor first. He had called her earlier and informed her that he would be taking their son to his grandparents house, to give her alone time. She was restless and couldn’t wait to prop her legs up on the couch. 

A young lady sat with a toddler on her lap. The toddler was sleeping soundly after staying up all night crying. The lady had begged her boyfriend to drive them to the hospital, but he was simply “too tired.” She stayed awake all night to comfort the baby who was sick. She desperately called her parents in the hope that they would drive her. No one helped her. When morning arrived, she walked over a mile to the hospital with the baby in her arms. Her boyfriend would get mad at her when she came home, however she wouldn’t mind as long as their child was okay. 

Last, a college boy sat scrunched up in the corner. He needed to get required shots before returning to his university. He hated waiting rooms. He felt as if everyone was looking at him, judging him. He waited until the last possible moment to go to the hospital. His mother patiently sat outside in the car. He had begged her to come inside with him, only for her to say, “Grow up.” 

“Ms. Houston.” 

The gaunt lady wobbled her way towards the nurse. Now was the moment of truth. 

“Mister and Miss Thomas” 

The man walked ahead of the woman - who was supporting her back. 

“Ms. Lopez”

The gloomy teen trudged her way to the nurse with her head hanging. 

“Mr. Jackson” 

The man folded up his newspaper and joined the nurse. 

“Ms. Lee” 

The woman placed her book in her bag before the clicking of her heels echoed through the waiting room as she strutted away. 

“Ms. Lewis” 

The mother slowly stood with the child in her arms - too scared to wake it. 

“Mr. Green” 

The college boy scrambled away. He jogged towards the nurse. 

Now, the waiting room was empty and dark. The patients left behind a bit of their lives when they left the waiting room. A small memory was formed in their mind as they waited for their name to be called. These humans no longer were in each other's company. 

No one cared for the person who sat next to them. No one paid attention to the coughs or the tears of the person across them. Everyone was absorbed in their own world, too focused on their own issues. They failed to notice that the people who accompanied them in the waiting room were also facing their own problems. Today was the last day these 9 patients would ever see each other. 

Slowly, new patients filled the room up. 

The cycle will repeat itself. 

July 10, 2020 22:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Crystal Lewis
02:52 Jul 15, 2020

Short but sweet. I liked the concept too, that the people we see everyday have the same plethora of thoughts and dreams and problems that we do.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.