2 comments

Adventure Fiction High School

This story contains themes or mentions of mental health issues.

 "Kyra! Come downstairs, breakfast is ready, you don't want to be late to school again!" My mother shouts from downstairs. I wipe my sweaty hands on my jeans and take a deep breath while looking into the mirror one more time. I look good, I smirk as I head down stairs.

"Hi, darling, I made your favorite, banana toast." My mother smiles with her pearly white teeth.

"Thank you mom," I say back while taking a bite. The warm crunch of the toast with the disperse flavor of the banana helped with my morning just that more. Before I knew it I was done. I grabbed my backpack with my keys and hugged my mom goodbye. I started up my car and headed off to my high school.

It started again, the endless palm sweating, I can't breathe and my mind is turning into a haze. I need to snap out of it now! It is like my whole body is submerging itself into a thick dark void. I glanced at myself in the rearview mirror and felt my whole body shiver then relief spread through every inch of my body. I'm good.

As I parked in the senior parking lot my best friend Alice was in the spot in front of me, I quickly jumped out of my car and knocked on the passenger side window to let me in. Her blue doll eyes widened as she jumped in her seat, I startled her by accident.

As she lets me in I say, "I do this practically every day, how does this still scare you," I smile. She rolls her eyes and flips her long golden locks, "Maybe I never will, who knows," she jokes.

"I am not looking forward to this competition today," she continues. That's right the biggest competition for cheer is finally here, it completely slipped my mind. "Yeah months of training will finally pay off, coach Lee was extra brutal. I can't wait to catch a break after today." I reply wiping my hands on my jeans nonchalantly. I don't think Alice noticed, knowing my palms sweat when I'm nervous will ruin my perfect image. It’s a good thing she was distracted while applying makeup, I got lucky I need to be more careful from now on.

"Well class is about to start let's go," I announce stepping out of her car, she follows.

The school day flew by with ease the squad and I all hung out together and pepped one another up for the competition. We all lined up at the bus that will transport us to the venue where our competition will be.

"Kyra!" I hear from a distance. I turned my head before I hopped onto the bus and saw him.

"Jake! You made it just in time to wish me luck!" I hugged him tightly and he hugged back just as tight.

"Coach let me take a few minutes to say good luck and that I love you Kyra," Jake's brown wavy hair glistened in the light. I was entranced by his green emerald eyes and toned body. He always looked good in his football uniform.

"You two love birds stop, we're going to leave without you Kyra!" Alice shouts then giggles with the rest of the team. "You heard them, I love you too," I give Jake a quick kiss and get on the bus. I stared at him through the window and waved bye as we smirked and jogged back to his practice.

The ride was a little less than an hour, people took naps, or gossiped, stalked their crushes online, typical high school girl things. I got lost in thought trying to mentally prepare for the biggest moment of my cheering career, so was Alice. As captain and co-captain there is a lot of weight put on our shoulders. We arrived.

"Hey Kyra, do you think I can be first for hair and makeup?" Eli asks as well to get off the bus. "It goes alphabetically with last names," I reply. "But I need pictures of me looking good to post, I won't have time since my last name is at the end." "I don't make that call Eli," I retort with slight frustration. "ugly loser" she whispers. I choose to ignore it, there's no need to fuel the fire.

My breathing became irregular as we entered the building, we got escorted to our private changing room and the stylist for hair and makeup began immediately.  I just need to breathe...in...out...repeat. I can't wipe my palms... I can't breathe.... the world is spinning. Pull through now or I will! A voice in the back of my mind verbalized loudly. I snapped back to reality and I was sitting on the waiting bench as well as the last few other girls. "Who was that?" I thought. "Was it me or...?"

"Kyra Sullivan." My name was called, I was next. I felt Eli's eyes like daggers in the back of my head.

After everyone was done we had rehearsal and overall it went smoothly. Just Eli's piercing stare towards me every time.

"Can I help you?" I say to her finally on the last straw.

"Yeah you can, but not right now," she smirks as she nudges past me. "What a whore," Alice whispers loudly in my right ear causing a shiver down my spine. "Yeah, I don't get why she hates me so much," I say, rubbing the back of my neck as comfort. "How do you not know?" Alice says shockingly, “Jake was hers before you,” but before I could ask any questions the coach blew her whistle for the beginning of our rehearsal.

"Next up Gale High School," The announcer projected as the crowd cheered loudly. All 16 of us lined up in formation and waited for the music to start. Eli was next to me for the starting stunt and she whispered, "Guess why Jake wouldn't respond two nights ago." My chest beat loudly as my hands started sweating profusely. No way Jake would've...

"Me," she smirked as the music began and the crowd turned into an uproar as two girls started doing back handsprings. I couldn't think, I couldn't focus. Is that why Jake has been different lately? Take care of it... or I will. The voice in the back of my head says slowly. I continue doing the flips and coordinated dancing I had to do, I can't let this slip, not now. I've been good for so long. Ever since I moved here I've been the best me I accomplished so much I can't have it slip now. As a flyer I got thrown in the air, Eli was watching me as I fell into the arms of my squad, she was next to go up as we all continued to dance. Eli went over and I was the one who had to help her up to make the choreography look more smooth.

"He's mine and If you say or do anything I'll tell everyone what happened across the country," she says loud enough just so I can hear as she flies up. How did she know I moved from that far. A boiling rage rose up in me quickly. The slipping of this façade I held greatly was diminishing. I tried grasping for the mask but it fell right into the abyss. Just who does she think she is? Dead. The voice boomed as I lost my senses, the whole room went black and all I heard was a thud. I came too and there she was. Eli on the ground unresponsive. Oh what a tragic accident. I'm good.

December 09, 2021 21:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Chris Churilla
21:27 Dec 16, 2021

First off, I like how this story is about a "perfect" girl and her internal struggles. I think that's something we all work on, trying to present that perfect façade. I have some suggestions for improvement. First, at some points your dialogue between two characters is all lumped together and I'm a little confused as to who is talking. Whenever a new character speaks, start a new line. Second, the character of Eli came out of nowhere and I was struggling to figure out who she was. Try to introduce her sooner.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Monica Parker
23:48 Dec 15, 2021

Your opening breakfast description was perfect. Detailed enough so I felt like I was there without being mundane. It offered a perfect contrast to the anxiety ridden drive to school. I would add a little more detail to the drive to school. It would give the reader an opportunity to see her anxiety when no one else is around. The interaction with her boyfriend, although short, seemed more authentic then the interaction with her best friend, Alice. Since it’s a short story, you could probably skip from the drive to school to the bus, placing h...

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.