Tying the Knot

Submitted into Contest #264 in response to: Write a story from the POV of a plus-one.... view prompt

0 comments

Crime Thriller

Today's the big day. Well, not MY big day. It was actually Victoria and Cam's.

Personally, I barely knew them, had met them once at their engagement party, which I had been brought along to, with Tom, who I'd been dating on and off for a few weeks. I remember it well, because the partying had been marred slightly by the news above the bar. A shaken newscaster had announced that there had been another homicide, which had been committed by this new serial killer that the public had taken to calling the "Urban Undertaker," which in my opinion, was a pretty stupid name.

But I had walked in to meet Tom, just as the news flashed across the scene, showing the crime scene, crawling with cops and detectives and news vans, and it was clear that they were being careful how much to show, because in the corner of the shot, you could see something distinctly red on the walls if you looked close enough. Although, the Undertaker’s calling card wasn’t usually leaving blood spattered up walls. It usually involved a noose. 

 Victoria had reached for Cam's hand, and he had tried to console her, gently rubbing the fresh diamond on her hand. I had wondered why the cityscape had been an orchestra of sirens as I had driven from work, I had had to pull over four times, or as much as I could. Cam was biting his lip and making eye contact with his brother over Victoria's head. He had met him with an unreadable look, and left the bar, pulling out his phone.

As his brother had passed me, he had given me a strangely dark, suspicious look. He bumped my shoulder roughly as he pushed open the door, making it tinkle in the air, skirting around a pair of drunk university students.

And now, only about a year later, I had been invited as Tom's plus one to their wedding. I slipped on my purse and heels, locking my front door behind me as I reached my car. There had been dispute about whether the wedding would happen at all, with increasing anxiety about the Urban Undertaker. The Undertaker seemed to like large gatherings, and it had made this wedding rescheduled. Twice. The criminal had been on the loose for over a year, and the police were no closer to catching whoever it was than before. 

Twenty minutes later, I arrived at the venue. It was an outdoor pavilion, with nearly hundreds of white seats in front of it, each row decorated with a mason jar of yellow and pink flowers beside it. The roof of the pavilion was decorated with white, draped silk and the same flowers tucked into the folds, and the arch that had been placed in the center looked the same. Against the manicured green grass, perfectly blue sky and glaring sun, it looked quite how most weddings do; soft, romantic and expensive. But who was I to judge? It was their big day.

I felt distinctly awkward as I walked towards the pavilion. I couldn't see Tom, though that's not unexpected, as he was a groomsman. I was more there for the reception, to make sure I got to know his friends and keep him company for the evening. But it's not like I knew either of them well, which side should I sit on? I was saved from having to figure out this dilemma by a ding from my phone. I opened it to a text from Tom.

Tom <3: Hey :) I saved you a seat in the fifth row, with my jacket over it. I don't want to stress you out, but apparently the Urban Undertaker made a threat to the bride and wedding planner.

Me: Thanks for the seat. Dang, how'd they manage that?

Tom <3: Apparently there was a note stuck into Victoria's veil, and that creepy black flower he always leaves. Telling them that he'd be in the audience.

Me: That's scary. I heard that no florist in the city is selling black flowers anymore, they’re so scared. Are they going through with the wedding?

Tom <3: I think they're shortening it, but don't want to cancel it because it would stress people out. They're thinking about canceling the reception.

Me:  That's pretty expensive. Why would the Undertaker want to crash some random wedding?

Tom <3: Your guess is as good as mine. But Sean, Cam's brother, thinks it's a guest they've known for a while. He's a cop, and has a bunch of his colleagues here in wedding clothes.

Me: Wouldn't that be more people for the Undertaker to come after?

Tom <3: There was talk about that, but they seem to think it'll be okay. Sorry it's not going to be much of a wedding date.

Me: Lol, no worries. It's nice to get dressed up every once in a while. I'll be here in the fifth row, and I'll see you at the ceremony :)

Tom <3: Absolutely. I bet you look gorgeous. 

Me: I guess you’ll have to wait and find out :) 

With that final text, I moved to the fifth row, where, sure enough, Tom’s jacket was waiting, with a small yellow flower on the seat of the chair. I smiled to myself, tucked it into my purse, folded up Tom’s jacket, and sat down. Now it got more awkward than ever before.  Because now, as a certified recluse and introvert, I was at my most vulnerable.

I was stuck at a wedding where I knew no one but a groomsman, who was off somewhere, likely tying Cam’s tie. In my element, I’m either in a spot that I know well with people I know, or in my apartment, happy as a clam, alone. I was very “in the open,” as more and more people filled in the seats around me, I was asked multiple times, “oh, are you saving this place?” I had to shake my head and explain that my boyfriend was a groomsman, to which I would receive a smile that was almost pitying, and slowly became enclosed by complete strangers. But I sat quietly, admiring people’s outfits from a distance, particularly a lady with a navy and gold jacket/skirt set that screamed old money. 

I was surprised by how many people were here, at the wedding, and yet, how there were still so many open or empty seats. People must have really been shaken up by the threats. 

Soon after, a pretty, brunette woman in a pale yellow dress came up to the front side of the pavilion and played a beautiful song on a mahogany violin. People started sitting down, and with soft applause, the violinist ended her song. Then she moved to stand further to the left, the bride’s side. She played as the groomsmen walked the bridesmaids down the aisle, and Tom winked at me as he walked past, the bridesmaid on his arm looking disappointed. Sean, the groom’s brother, passed through the aisle, guiding who I guessed was Victoria’s sister, based on photos. 

Sean seemed to be caught between being happy for his brother, trying to play it cool, and looking for something, or someone. He was squinting, looking grim and cautious. Or maybe it was just the sunlight. His eyes landed on me, and his eyes narrowed more, but gave me a upwards ‘dude’ nod. I smiled in return. 

I kept my eyes forward as Cam came down the aisle with his mother, who was an older lady with short brown hair and a dark blue dress. Tom kept catching my eye, occasionally throwing me a wink or a smile. He looked very nice in his tailored suit, I thought, it complimented his dark hair and light eyes. 

I, along with everyone else, stood up when Victoria walked down the aisle with her father, preceded by her maid of honor and a flower girl in a light yellow dress and pink shoes. Cam’s eyes were watering, and Tom watched with a proud smile before he caught my eye with a raised eyebrow. I chuckled quietly and nodded a ‘pay attention’ look to him. 

The officiant, an older gentleman who I was surprised was able to stand up, especially in the blistering heat, began. 

“We are gathered here to witness the union between Cameron Hansen and Victoria Penny. If anyone should object to this marriage, speak now or forever hold your peace.” 

I reached into my purse, pulling out a flower. It was not the one that Tom had given me, yellow and bright. It was black. Then, I stood up. 

Gasps sounded around as I rose, and people all around watched. The stares I got from everyone in the bridal party were ones of utter confusion, I didn’t even know Cam and Victoria that well. 

“Well, I don’t really object to the marriage,” I said, spinning the black flower in my fingers. Everyone’s looks went from confusion to terror as they recognized the flower. 

“But you should’ve listened to my note.” 

August 20, 2024 05:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.