The 12 days of Christmas (Or just the first one)

Submitted into Contest #73 in response to: Write about someone who is given a bird for the holidays but doesn’t know how to take care of it.... view prompt

0 comments

Funny Friendship Christmas

Disclaimer: If you're homophobic, get out. This isn't really gay but it lightly touches the subject so if you're uncomfortable then there might be something a bit wrong with your brain but, also, feel free to NOT read it. Thank you very much.


"What is this?!" Jungguk whined over the phone.


"It's a partridge in a pear tree!" Taeyeon exclaimed.


"I thought a partridge was some sort of majestic bird. I don't know. Maybe green and has a long parrot beak?"


"Is that not was it is?"


"This is an ugly, fat, bird thing. It looks like a zebra, penguin, pig thing!"


"Oh. I didn't really look into it much. I've been busy lately so I just asked my manager to get you a partridge in a pear tree."


"A pear tree? These look and feel like hard, green apples!"


"My manager said that he sent a miniature Asian Pear tree because he thought it would be more fun."


"That didn't help at all!"


"Well, I can't send it back to wherever my manager got it from so can you just take car of the tree and bird until the shooting's over?"


"That could take months! I don't even know how to take care of either of these things?!"


"Look it up! Look. I gotta go. We're shooting a scene in a few minutes and they need me. We'll have to figure this out later. Just ... ask Jin if he knows how to take care of the tree and look for someone who will buy the partridge from you. Bye"


"Wait! I-" Jungguk hear the other end cut off. "How could he send a whole animal and plant for me to take care of when he knows I have trouble even taking care of myself?"


Jungguk started pacing around the large penthouse. After minutes of pacing he decided to contact Jin about the pear tree first.


"Hello?" Jin said.


"Hey, Jin. It's Gguk. Taeyeon thought ti would be a good idea to send me a partridge in a pear tree but I have-" Jungguk was cut off by Jin's laughter.


"He sent you a literal partridge in a pear tree?" Jin choked out while still laughing.


"Yes! It's not funny. I have no idea how to take care of either of them! I figured you might know how to take care of a pear tree since you own a restaurant."


"I cook food. I don't grow it! You'll have to ask a professional or something."


"Ugh! Fine." Jungguk hung up and tossed his phone onto the table before jumping onto the couch. "What am I gonna do?!" I don't know any professional .... planters or whatever they're called. Maybe I can figure it out on my own. I wonder if a pet store would know."


Jungguk found himself walking around a pet store looking for bird seed. All birds eat seeds, right? That's what Jungguk hoped because he didn't have any idea what a partridge needed to eat.


"Can I help you find something?" A young worker asked. As soon as Jungguk turned around he could've sworn he saw the girl start to drool before she composed herself. Jungguk didn't want to sound stupid so he tried to be vague.


"Do you have a bird aisle?"


"Yes! Right this way ... mister." The girl lead him into an aisle full of birds.


"Do you have bird seed though?"


"Oh! She brought him down a different aisle that was close by and waved her arms at the different bird feeds."


"Um. Do you know what to feed a partridge?" Jungguk finally asked. The girl looked at him and then laughed but stopped when she saw his face was still serious.


"Are you serious?"


"Yeah."


"Um. I don't really know. If I had to guess, bird seed. I don't know how much the kind matters. We don't really sell Partridges here. I'm sorry."


"That's fine. I'll just grab a thing of random bird seed then."


"Is there anything else I can help you with?"


"I don't think so."


The girl stood the for a moment and watched him read the different types of bird feeds before interrupting his thoughts.


"Um. Do you have time to take a quick picture before you go?"


"Why?"


"You're THE Jungguk. Like, the model. Right?"


"Oh." Jungguk had totally forgotten his fame. It made sense why he was getting some stares now. "Um. I guess one picture wouldn't hurt." She pulled her phone out and then stood next to him and snapped a picture.


"Thank you so much!" She said. "If you need any help I'll just be a few aisles down." Jungguk nodded and the girl left. He grabbed some bird seed and then went back home.


While feeding the bird he decided to call Jaemin. Maybe he would know how to take care of the tree.


"I have no idea. I'm a baker, not a gardener." Jaemin hung up after that and Jungguk groaned.


"I'd better put these two up on Ebay or something so that I can relax for the rest of Christmas." He took some photo's and put them on Ebay for a VERY affordable price. He wasn't sure how much to sell them for so he ended up including the food and selling it all for $20 dollars.


He actually had a few people almost immediately ask for the tree and bird. He thought it was ridiculous but, as long as he got rid of them, it didn't matter much to him.


"What kind of Partridge is it?" One possible buyer asked.


"I'm not sure. It has some zebra stripes and it's head kinda looks like a penguin head." He replied.


"Sounds like a Chukar Partridge. That's the best kind. When are you free? Can we meet somewhere or do you want me to come there?"


"You can meet me outside Park's Bakery (Best Buns)"


"Alright. I'll see you in about twenty minutes, then."


Jungguk grabbed the heavy cage and managed to just barely fit it into his car. He drove to Jaemin's bakery and waited in his car. Another car soon pulled up and Jun got out.


"Jun? What are you doing here?" Jungguk asked as he got out of the car to meet his friend.


"Some nut is selling a partridge in a pear tree for twenty bucks so I thought I'd buy it. I've heard they're good eating."


"You're that weird internet person?"


"Yup. I've never prepared a partridge before. For that cheap, I might as well learn how to make a new dish. So, where did you get him from?"


"Taeyeon."


"And you're going to let me kill it?! Wouldn't poor Tae feel bad?"


"He said I could get rid of it. He told me that he thought the same thing I did."


"Which was?"


"That a partridge was a majestic, green bird."


"Well, I guess Taeyeon should learn to look first then."


"I guess so."


"Did he get you anything else? I wouldn't mind taking two turtle doves off your hands." Jun laughed.


"He didn't send anything else. I think it was all dumb anyway. Doesn't he know the song? You send it to your true love!"


"Maybe you're his true love!" Jun laughed some more.


"Whatever. We've been best friends for eight or nine years. Also, I'm pretty sure he has a crush on one of his co-ACTRESSES. So I don't think he's gay."


"You never know. Maybe he's denying it. Or maybe he's bisexual!"


"Whatever. Either way, you can take the bird and keep it." Jungguk took the cage out and put it in Jun's large SUV. Jungguk grabbed the heavy food and threw that in too before hopping into his car. "See you later." He closed his door and drove off.


"Maybe I said it as a joke but I was also serious. Taeyeon is strange. I don't think he wouldn't have sent that without thinking. I wonder what's going on inside his head. Was it really an innocent gift or was it his way of telling Jungguk?"

December 19, 2020 20:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.