The Things We Don't Want To Be

Submitted into Contest #64 in response to: Write about someone who’s been sent to boarding school.... view prompt

0 comments

Mystery Latinx Crime

The carriage rocked back and forth across the gravel road, causing my bags to fly across the floor. I grasped the top of my dress, trying to stretch it so I could breathe easier. 


My parents always said I was not “ladylike" enough, not like my mother, and a disgrace to my family. So they are sending me to a boarding school across the world. London is where the school is, which is approximately 5,451 miles away from my manor in Mexico. 


My eyes gazed out the window staring at the dark clouds brimming the sky, the branches from the trees dancing in the cold, sharp wind that was cold enough to chill you to your bones. I desperately wanted to go back to the manor, with the warm sun bearing down on your face, only taking a couple of days for your skin to be tanned. You will never want to be somewhere else. Just as I was drifting into my daydream of my homeland, the carriage stopped abruptly. My neck lashed forward, sending shooting pains down my spine.

" Owww." I groaned, resting my hand on the nape of my neck. The door flung open, revealing a cross-looking woman. Her back so straight, I would have thought a wood board was behind her. She had librarian glasses that slung across the bridge of her nose. 

"Let's go!" She ordered snottily.


I walked through the rusted, black gate that whined as I pushed it open.

" What. The. heck? " I gaped at the school, well, it was more like a mansion from a horror scene. The sleek black roof was glistening from the slight mist. There were only a couple of windows that were bright but tiny. The door looked as if it was trying to lure me into Tartarus ( hell ). Lines of girls my age, to later teen years, marched in tight formed lines, wearing black dresses, their backs straight as the other, and books balancing on their heads.

Is this how I will have to act? Do I have to be someone I don't strive to be?


The head of the school led me into a room that I would think resembled a prison room. I just got here, yet I couldn't wait to leave. I remembered how my dear friend Aleks said he would send letters and items to me. And how he teared up when I left. The thought of him made me cry. I broke down, resting my head on my hands.

" That is no way a lady should act!" The lady said, " Up! Up!"

I glanced up and cracked,

" FINE, YOU WANT ME TO BE ALL LADYLIKE? I WILL NEVER, EVER BE LIKE YOU! I WILL NEVER BE SO SEXIST SAYING THAT GIRLS SHOULD ACT ALL PRETTY AND WEAR CONSTRICTING CLOTHING! THAT WE CAN'T DO CERTAIN THINGS!" I got up, walked past her at a brisk pace out the door but only to find another bat looking woman. She grabbed me and locked me into the room.                                       





A year has passed, I don't feel like myself anymore. I realized I couldn't do anything, I succumbed to the lessons and followed the other girls. We were all broken like stallions and forced to pretend to be someone we were not. I hated it. I tried to find as much alone time as I could, and if I managed to find the time, I poured over the letters Aleks sent to me. 


As usual, on Tuesday at 1:00 Am, a bird flew in with a small letter tied to its leg with a delicate ribbon. I rushed over and flung open the window.

" Good girl!" I talked like a little girl to the pigeon, patting her head and watched her fly out the window. I plopped down onto my bed and opened the letter, careful not to tear the beautiful envelope. When I opened it a black and white picture fluttered out, I picked it up and it portrayed Aleks and my grandmother smiling widely at the camera. They were both standing in front of my favorite orange tree. I opened the letter;


Maria,


That boarding house. It is not normal. 

I had found out something rather odd from a friend. 

Supposably, girls who go sometimes don't come back. 

EVER.

 I am trying to find a way to bring you back. 

Please Maria Esquaz

Be careful.

I am coming soon.

Yours truly,

Aleks Lamarroez



I set down the letter, confused, not expecting this but expecting a bright letter with more photographs and items packed into the envelope.


What did he mean? 

Girls missing after being sent here?

I dropped the letter. 

" Oh my god," I mumbled. Why had I not realized, the girls who just left with no trace were not being sent home but they were going missing! What was happening? Were they being killed, sold? 

I stood up and walked to the door. I twisted the knob but only to find it locked. I took out the bobby pin from my black hair. I bent it so it looked like a black dart and pushed it into the lock.

I needed to get out of here.

I had been here the longest since all the others were missing. I knew I would be the next to go. 


The door popped open after some tries. I pushed it, being careful not to let the hinges squeak. I ran down the stairs, my heart pounding into my chest, my ears ringing, I heard footsteps coming right toward me.

I need to hide

I dived behind the bush, being careful not to breathe too loudly. The footsteps paused by me, causing my heart rate to elevate immensely. A couple of minutes passed and a scream came from up the stairs.

" NO. 332 ESCAPED!"


(Numbers are given to us instead of learning our names.)


The footsteps that had paused by me a moment ago rushed off, leaving an echo of footsteps.

" Crap," I cursed under my breath and looked around. Behind me, a large window that is about two stories high, revealed the brooding forest that lays all around the school.


I whipped my head around, no one was near. I unlatched the window and peered down. The cold wind lashed at my face, my hair flying into my mouth and eyes. I looked down. Welp, if I jump, I might break my legs which will be no help, I could die, or I could jump into the bushes however, I had no idea if they were thorned. I inhaled the raw wind, I felt my lungs chill, which made my body rack with shivers.


I stepped onto the sill and did something I never thought or even dream to do. I jumped out the window into the flowing wind, the howls of the trees as if they were scolding me for jumping. I looked down.


Now, how do I want to land?


<><><><><> TO BE CONTINUED <><><><><>



October 19, 2020 23:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.