The Sentencing Of W. J. Whetstone

Submitted into Contest #105 in response to: Write a story that switches between first person and third person point of view.... view prompt

0 comments

African American Fantasy Fiction

W. J. Whetstone, a retired navy admiral stood up for sentencing. A tall lean gray-haired man of weather-worn countenance who seldom smiled. He grunted as he shifted his weight off his left knee onto the African Blackwood walking cane with a golden lion’s head for a handle.


A dislike of snobbish folks permeated his entire being. Their arrogant know-it-all attitude got on his last darn nerve. Judge Kathlyn Driscoll sitting up high on her bench in the florescent-lit, cold, disinfected smelling courtroom was no exception.


He rubbed the back of his left hand across his parched lips. His mouth tasted as dry as desert dirt. A gulp of his home-brewed liquor with a dash of lemon juice was needed to quench his thirst. He smacked his frowning lips together and shook his head from left to right.


What a boot-pissing waste of my time, I thought.


The concocted proceeding led by smirk-faced jilted judge Kathlyn in her long black robe made his blood boil. He had a mind to throw a fiery dart down the fake platinum blonde’s throat the next time she opened her sassy mouth. And then pitch a firestorm of darts across the room into the bulging Adam's apple of boyish-looking Deputy Duke. That dimwit of a deputy was the reason behind this farce.


But, then again, maybe he should not do such a thing. He promised his son that he would not do magic around Zuri when she was born. A promise that he never expected to keep. A promise that his son’s mere mortal wife saw him break. And in a fit of anger, she forced his son to choose between his father and his wife. 


What a time of chaos?


He begged his son not to denounce his magical powers. His birthright. But the love struct idealist refused to heed his father’s words. He wanted to live as a human with his human wife and daughter. His naïve son wanted the impossible. 


“Admiral Whetstone, I asked you a question. Need I repeat myself… again?” 


“Judge Driscoll, that’s up to you.” 


“Answer the question.”


“What question?”


“Are you hard of hearing! A lawyer—do you have a lawyer?”


“Why do I need a lawyer?”


Judge Driscoll rolled her eyes. Her thin strawberry lips pressed together so tight that they disappeared. She looked as if she was trying to keep her patience from exploding into a string of curse words that would make a drunken sailor blush.


I glanced down at the Apple watch that Zuri gave him for his birthday. A yellow smiley face popped up on the screen.


Admiral Whetstone’s selfish actions haunted his memories. He desperately wanted to atone for letting his only child leave on a stormy night without saying goodbye. He knew that he was to blame.


Maybe calling his son’s wife a bag of useless flesh that could never produce an heir to carry on the family’s legacy was a bit much. But he refused to apologize for telling the truth. His foolish pride caused him not to care. He had failed miserably as a father—maybe—just maybe, he could be a better grandfather.


“What’s done is done when it can’t be undone,” I whispered, thinking of past regrets.


“Did you say something, Admiral Whetstone?”


“What’s done is done when it can’t be undone. I’m representing myself, judge.”


The admiral’s pain from ten years ago still haunted him. He knew that the car crash which killed his son and daughter-in-law was no accident. The Drakaknites were behind their deaths. Someday, he would prove it. And the son-of-a-drakak that did it would pay with his life. 


Overcome with guilt and grief, he felt ashamed and shocked to learn that his son’s will, made him the sole guardian of Zuri. The day that he met Zuri at the airport, the seven-year-old little girl reminded him of his son at that age. She had his son’s thick curly auburn hair and kind brown eyes. Her shoulders were drooped as she peered from behind the flight attendant like a withered sunflower in desperate need of watering and sunshine.


A tear rolled down Admiral Whetstone’s cheek. It was the only time in his life, he cried.


What in the world were you thinking, leaving something so precious and delicate as this beautiful child to me? I contemplated, as I took my granddaughter’s tiny hands in mine and said, “Hello”.


Admiral Whetstone’s cell phone beeped jolting him back to the present moment. He read the text message from the screen on his watch. Zuri was on her way to pick him up. 


Zuri’s teenage years were difficult without her parents. He often sensed her sadness. It felt heart-wrenching at times. He did not want to do anything to add to her distress. Besides, he had made a promise to his son. He planned to keep it this time. Even if it meant tolerating this indignant travesty without the use of his supernatural powers. So be it.


“I know you can afford a lawyer, Admiral Whetstone.” 


“Judge Driscoll, I’ve already answered your question.” 


“Admiral in the absence of an attorney, do you have anything to say before I sentence you?”


“I was on my way to Palmetto Herb’s Shop to get a few ingredients for my medicinal brew. Just ten miles down the road. When that brainless senseless nincompoop of a deputy—That pestering kiddy cop over there…”


The admiral pointed at Deputy Duke across the room, “keeps sitting at the bottom of Oceancrest lane. He stops me before I can drive across the darn–”


“Stop, right there. That’s Officer Duke. You’ll address him as such or not at all. Do you have anything to add that might help your case? Your notorious brew is another matter.”


“Well, recuse yourself.”


“I’m not recusing myself. I stated that for the record when you asked the last two times.”


“For goodness sake, you played at my house as a child with my son!”


“Sir, that was years ago. My ability to render a fair and impartial judgment, in this case, is in no way impaired by the fact that I was friends with your son in high school.”


“Well… and college. He jilted you! I know you two were engaged for—”


“Enough! William Jonas Whetstone. In this state, licenses are renewed every four years, with no special provisions for older drivers. Your driver's license has been expired for more than 3 years. You’ve been driving without a valid license for years! That’s why you’re required to pass the vision, road, and written tests again. I could have you locked up! Do you understand?”


“Why? I drive… as good as I did before the dang thang expired.”


“You pled not guilty to being caught driving without a license for the fifth time. You pled not guilty to causing $25,792 in damages to a sheriff’s deputy vehicle. I have carefully, considered the evidence presented to me by both you and the State.”


“You’re accusing me of banging up Deputy Duke’s cruiser. Can you prove it?” You got-darn right I did it. Me and Mighty Cane Blackwood meant every smash blazing lick.


“Whatever! Damage was done. And you will pay for it.”


Kathlyn’s voice grew more portentous with each word that slid past her lips. “Admiral Whetstone, for being ticketed for driving with an expired license five times, you will pay a fine of $5,000 in addition to the cost of each traffic ticket violation. You will pay $25,792 in damages for repairs to the sheriff’s deputy vehicle. You will serve 25 hours of community services at Vision Academy After Schoo—” 


“Wait just a g-dam minute, Kathlyn. You’ve lost your G-D mind!”


Judge Driscoll tapped her gavel on the bench with the speed of a mad robot.

She waved her gavel. “You address me with proper respect, or I’ll have the bailiff drag you out of my courtroom on your behind. Toss you in jail like trash and keep you there. Is that clear?”


Should I kill her right now? I know this skank is a Drakaknite—that’s why I made my son break off the engagement. I could never let him wed the enemy. Though he did just as bad. He married a mere mortal who can only give birth to mere mortals.


Instead of murder, I’ll settle for mischief. 


Admiral Whetstone telepathically snatched the gavel out of Judge Driscoll’s hand and threw it to the hardwood floor. It landed with a dull clacking sound.


The bailiff rushed over and picked it up, placing it back on the bench. 


It was little satisfaction to Admiral Whetstone. Yet, it was better than nothing.


“Thank you, Jackson. I’m getting clumsy. Now as I was saying. Admiral Whetstone, you will serve 25 hours of community service at Vision Academy afterschool enrichment program, for struggling students starting Monday for next five weeks without interruption.” 


“How am I supposed to do that without a driver’s license?”


“Let your granddaughter drive you. At seventeen, she has a valid driver’s license. Your son figured it out. You’ll figure it out, too.”


“Leave my granddaughter out of this. She had nothing to do with my son dumping you. You mean spirited—”


“Enough,” screamed Judge Driscoll tapping her gavel.


“Like cat poop, I’ll serve 25 days—”


“Then you’ll serve 25 days in jail. Starting now! Bailiff!”


Judge Driscoll tapped her gavel once again. She stood up. 


A faint musical sound like a wind chime resonating on a soft spring breeze floated from the back of the courtroom. Judge Driscoll snuggled back down into her big comfy leather chair. 


“Court clerk, rescind my last judgment. Strike it from the records. Replacement sentencing…,” she stuttered, “All—All—I mean all charges and subsequent fines against Admiral Whetstone are dismissed. He’s to be reissued his driver’s license without delay. Without any further testing. He’s free to go.” She looked over at Deputy Duke, then the court clerk and bailiff who all nodded agreement as in a trance.


Admiral Whetstone turned around to see Zuri with her right hand lifted in the air as if shaking an imaginary bell. He rushed over to his granddaughter. Grabbed her by the hand pulling her along with the speed of a man who did not need the use of a walking cane.


“Stop!” Judge Driscoll waved her hand, as time stood still for everyone in the courtroom except Zuri and Admiral Whetstone.


Judge Driscoll floated down from the bench growling like a rabid monster. Her long blonde hair floated around her as if she was swimming through time. She raced towards Zuri. With the speed of lightning, Admiral Whetstone stepped in front of his granddaughter. 


“So, you’re a little spell caster. How dare you—”


“LEAVE HER BE KATHLYN!”


“Admiral, this is clearly a violation of our sect's treaty. This town, Augustine Harbor is neutral grounds.”


“Then let’s keep it that way,” I said, raising my walking cane. “Don’t make me destroy you, Kathlyn.”


Judge Driscoll trembled and slinked back a few feet. “She broke the truce. I’ll report her to the—”


“If you want to live, you’ll do no such thing. Last warning.” 


An eerie luminous glow sprang forth from Admiral Whetstone’s walking cane. The lion’s head handle became animated. Its eyes opened to reveal shimmering black pearls for pupils. Ferocious dagger-like ivory teeth sparkled. A loud beastly roar shook the entire courtroom.


Judge Driscoll dashed to her bench without another word. Time resumed its normal flow.


With a calmness I had not felt in years, I gently tugged on my granddaughter’s thick curly auburn ponytail as we walked out of the courtroom.


Outside, cool damp air from the Atlantic Ocean engulfed us. The morning sun glistened against the crystal blue sky as wispy clouds leisurely scrolled in a northwestern direction leaving tiny trails of threadlike fluff.


The palm trees, dogwoods, and crepe myrtles aligning the winding cobblestone path swooshed and swayed with sweet-smelling fragrances as they danced in the breeze.


Zuri and I walked to the parking lot in silence. 


“I’m sorry, Grandy,” Zuri said, as she pulled the luxury land rover’s seatbelt across her shoulder and clicked it in place. “I did it without thinking.”


“You’re a Maguskanite. How’s that so?” I stared in disbelief at my granddaughter. “Never mind. Ridiculous question. Why didn’t you tell me?” 


“Dad told me never to tell anyone. Not even mom. He said it would break her heart. I..." Zuri looked over at me. She paused in mid-sentence. "I promised him," she finally said.


I smiled and pressed the ignition button. 


July 31, 2021 01:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.