1 comment

Crime Fiction Horror

The sky was slowly turning from blue to a beautiful pastel pink as the sun slowly approached the horizon. Sebastion’s fingers entwined Kara’s as they lay together on the hood of his mustang. The chill fall air making them snuggle together to fight off the morning chill.

“I’m glad I was finally able to convince you to come out this morning,” Sebastion said quietly, resting his cheek on Kara’s head. The feeling of her soft, brown hair is one he will never get tired of. “I know you aren’t a morning person, but the view of the sunrise from the pointe is one you will never regret seeing.”

“I know what you mean, between the sun and the view, it’s absolutely breathtaking.” Kara whisper out her response while looking over the town. “You can see all the way to the lake!” She pointed her finger to the shimmering blue mass off in the distance. “What is this place called again? I really like it up here.”

“Lookout Pointe,” Sebastion told her. “Not very original, but it’s a town favorite.” He looked down at her and kissed the top of her head. “We probably better get going, I have to open the shop in about 20 minutes, don’t wanna be late again.” Sebastion let go of Kara’s hand as he slowly sat up, shivering as the chill finally hit him. “I can drop you off at work, it’s on the way.”

“Thanks Sab,” Kara responded, sliding off the hood of the car. “I can buy you breakfast before you head off that way.” She turned to the passenger door and climbed in. The door shutting behind her a jarring sound in the still morning.

The bell above the door announced the arrival of Sebastion as caused Tony to look up from unpacking a new shipment. “Cutting it awfully close today Seb, what’s gotten into you lately? Is she really that good a lay?”

“Screw off Tony,” Sebastion replied, “Did we get anything good on this truck, or did James let you order again?” He laughed, as he set his bag behind the counter and clocked in for the day.

“Damn dude, you got vicious after meeting her. I gotta find me someone that good!” Tony chuckles and started to stock the record racks. “How long has it been now? Four months and I hardly see that timid little boy you used to be. Now it’s like she actually issued you a man card.”

Sebastion rolled his eyes and pulled up the store music playlist. “Whatever man, what do we wanna listen to today? Greenday? Within Temptation?”

“Woah, and you were mocking my music tastes? We want people to buy records, not scare them out of the store. Put on some PANIC! or Flyleaf. I haven’t heard those in a while.”

“Sounds good, I can live with those I guess.” Sebastion clicked a button and the music started to flow through the store. The tunes flowed around the stacks of vinyl washing over anyone who felt the beat. The jangle of the bell signaling the two employees their day is just started.

The sizzle of the deep fryers and the scent of old cooking oil filled the kitchen to the point of bursting. Kara looked around and snagged a fry when she made sure no one was watching her. Mouth full, she hummed along to the song on the radio, “Seb would like this song I think. She thought to herself through the crunchy goodness of fried potato. A movement out of the corner of her eye caused her to turn her head quickly trying to see who was sneaking about. Nobody was there.

Kara shrugged and started dancing while she hummed, throwing more fries into the hot oil, the sound of heaven reaching her ears once again. “Kara, hurry up on those fries, we don’t have all day to wait for you to dance them up here,” A rough voice shocked her out of her bliss.

“They’re on the way Paula, I can’t make them cook any faster. Believe it or not, physics doesn’t report to you.” Kara turned toward the freezer to start another batch.

“You really can’t control your attitude can you. No wonder you move jobs so frequently, I can’t see how you convinced Dale to hire you. Makes me wonder how lose the pants were that day.” The robust lady shook her head, turning back to the front of the store and walked away calling over her shoulder, “I give you two more weeks before you move on again. Keep it up princess.”

The blood rushed to Kara’s face at the implications from her supervisor. She looked towards the dish sink and the prep knife caught her eye. The glint of light off the sharp edge seemed to call to her. Just one slight movement with it and that horrible monster wouldn’t bother her anymore. “No, that’s not right. It won’t fix things in the long run, just get through the day.” Kara reminded herself as she got back to work, looking forward to clocking out and washing her worries away with Sebastion.

“90 days huh?” Tony said as he looked over the top of his magazine, “And how do you know it’s been exactly 90 days?”

“It’s my birthday dude, you know I always count down to it. Probably my favorite holiday in the world.” The register clanged as Sebastion closed the cash drawer and passed a bag over to the customer in front of him. “Have a good day, enjoy the tunes. That one is a personal favorite.” He smiled at the redhead standing in front of him.

“That means that you’ll be back in for some good music in two days,” Tony said without looking up. “Just remember to ask for Tony and I’ll get you set up!”

Sebastion rolled his eyes and smiled, causing a chuckle from the customer as she walked away. “You really need to come up with some better insults dude. You’re just jealous that people actually want my help finding records.”

“Yeah, ok.” Tony set his magazine down then stood up. “I’m gonna go get some lunch, anything you want?”

“I’m feeling sushi today,” Sebastion replied as he picked up the discarded magazine. “From that new spot a few streets over.”

“Sounds good man, I’ll be back soon. Don’t burn the place down while I’m gone.”

Sebastion smiled as his friend left through the door, on his quest to get them some grub.

Kara picked up her burger and took a bite while looking around the store. An older gentleman sitting a few tables away smiled at her as they met eyes. Kara returned the kind gesture and noticed a small movement on the floor under the man’s table. She did a double take and swore she saw his shadow move. “You are losing it Kara, it hasn’t been long enough to start seeing that again.” A sigh pulled her from her thoughts.

“Are you just going to sit there stuffing your face all afternoon? Or do you think you will join us in the kitchen again? I have dishes that need washing.” Paula stood above and behind Kara.

“I have at least 15 more minutes to my break,” she replied. “I’m taking my full break, if the dishes need to be done that badly do them yourself.”

Paula huffed and stalked back to the kitchen, the swinging doors announcing her departure. Kara turned to make sure she was gone and whispered under her breath, “Screw you Paula.” She turned back to her food and about jumped out of her skin as the old man was standing right on the other side of her table. “Oh wow, you scared me, can I help you sir?”

“Only one more, right? Then it’ll all be better.” The old man smiled at Kara and her blood ran cold.

“What did you say?”

The old man looked around, “What was that honey? I couldn’t hear you. You work here right? Where are the restrooms?”

“Um, just straight back there and to the right. What did you say earlier? One more?”

“One more what dear? Bless your heart, maybe you shouldn’t work so hard if you are seeing things.” The old man walked past Kara to where she had indicated the bathrooms were.

“That was odd,” Kara thought to herself as she took another bite. She watched the old man walk towards the restrooms and saw the shadow wink at her.

The bell rang and announced the arrival of Tony with the delicious sushi. “Got your California roll, it looked too good. I had to get a couple too.” Tony set the bag in front of Sebastion.

“I knew I would rub off on you one of these days.” Sebastion smiled as he removed the ambrosia from the takeout bag. “It smells so good. Any potstickers?”

“Yea, they should be in there too.”

“Found ‘em. Any plans this weekend? Ready for the campaign Saturday night?”

“Hell yes I am. Sounds like it’s gonna be a good one. Jeremy texted me last night saying to prepare ourselves, a lot of people are going to die I guess. Not Murlock though! No one can kill the king of wizards.” Tony flexed dramatically with a mouth full of rice.

“You mean except those kobolds a couple weeks ago. Good think our cleric had diamond to res your stupid ass.” Sebastion chuckled around his food. “Don’t expect me to heal you, still not over those insults last week. Bards are way more useful than you give credit for.”

“I’ll believe that when I see it.” Tony flicked a bit of rice at Sebastion. “You haven’t even done anything helpful yet. Anyway, lunch was good. I’m gonna go get set up, see you tonight man. If you’re late I’m gonna eat all your cake.”

“Woah man, I don’t swing that way,” Sebastion replied laughing at his own joke.

“Pervert,” Tony replied as he walked into the back room and clocked out.

Sebastion looked at the clock, only a few hours left.

The shadows watched Kara from beneath the freezer and fryer. Whispering in her ear. The general din was a familiar itch to her at this point. She glanced at the clock, only 30 minutes until she could leave. Paula turned towards her, her fat mouth tried to form words. Kara turned away from her and kept cleaning the back area, eager to leave and wash everything away with the blue eyed, blonde sanctuary she had met three months ago.

Sebastion pulled up to the back of the restaurant and shifted his car to park. He leaned back in his seat and waited for Kara to come out the back door. He smiled when he saw her familiar brown hair back out of the door. She staggered to the car, and fumbled with the door. The evening light of the sunset reflected off the mirror temporarily blinding Sebastion and he opened the door for Kara, stretching over the seat.

“Kara, are you alright?” Sebastion asked as she fell into the passenger seat.

His voice broke through the relentless whispers filling her head with pleasant thoughts. “I am now. Thank you so much Seb.”

“You’re welcome? What happened? Was it Paula?”

“No, she was just her usual self. It was just a long day. Can we go see the lake before we head to Tony’s for your party?” She smiled at Sebastion and placed her hand on his shoulder, stroking her thumb across his neck.

“Yea, we can do that. We have plenty of time before we need to head over.”

“Do you know if that row boat is still hiding in the reeds? I’ve always wanted to look at the stars while floating on the water. Imagine how quiet it would be!”

Sebastion couldn’t help but smile at her excitement. “I suppose we could do that. I do love it on the lake at night.”

The drive to the lake wasn’t a long one. Kara and Sebastion sang some of his favorite songs that played over the radio and held hands the whole way there. Sebastion smiled at Kara as the moon rose above the lake.

He dragged the boat out of the reeds and the two of them climbed in. Sebastion gently rowed them out to the center of the glasslike sheen that surrounded them. The wind was still, almost as if the Earth was holding its breath.

“It’s beautiful out here tonight,” Kara said looking to the sky.

“It really is,” Sebastion replied, looking at Kara, smiling. She turned and met his eyes smiling. The look in her eyes made Sebastion gulp and back up a bit. “Kara? What is going on?”

“Don’t worry Seb. It’s all going to be ok soon. They told me there was only one more!” Her laughter cut across the water, seeming to cause it to vibrate around them.

“What? What are you talking about? Who is they?” Sebastion looked around frantically, “Who are you? What is goi….” He looked down and Kara’s hand which had moved across the space between them in the blink of an eye. The moonlight glinting black as satin across the knife she held out. That’s when Sebastion felt a burning on his neck. He reached up and the squelch told him his worst fears. The blood started running down his neck.

“Take this offering, oh Dark One.” Kara chanted her face turned skyward. “Let my debt be paid in full!”

The last thing Sebastion saw in this life was a shadow rising behind Kara, red eyes gleaming as it reached forward and Sebastion felt something pull him forward into darkness.

“Your debt is paid, go forth. Be free.” A deep voice echoed in the back of Kara’s mind as she looked around, the shadows and voices stopping again, but this time for good. She looked to where Sebastion’s body lay in the boat and pushed it overboard. The ripples sped away from the impact and when it settled Kara saw the moon reflecting off the lakes surface. She was free.

November 20, 2020 17:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Rajesh Patel
18:06 Nov 26, 2020

I did enjoy this story. The ending...wow! A good surprise!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.